New Coach Wish List

El Paso Eagle

Bring on Sonny Dykes! That Texas Tech-style passing attack would get the Dentonites off their couches on a Saturday afternoon and fill up the stands. Wide receiver is also the easiest position to recruit, which means we could make a quick turnaround and get some new talent on the field quickly. Plus, Dykes brings some serious name recognition across the state that would also help with recruiting. To top it all off, Tech's back-up QB (who lost out to Graham Harrell and is doomed to the bench for two more years in Lubbock) is a stud and might want to follow Dykes to Denton. Who is with me?

I am on board with Dykes or Shultz, but I would prefer Dykes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If one were available and we could find a way to afford him, I'd vote for a 'name' coach.  If he had Texas ties, so much the better.  But, that is a rare person indeed and none may be available.

I would suggest Richard Slocum. Goes by "R.C." I think he is still a special assistant to the President at A&M.

Had some decent offensive players go through College Station during his tenure, and I've heard his defenses weren't shabby, either.

Knows how to beat Texas, and expects to.

Has been around bonfires before, some even bigger than ours.

Would begin kicking other SBC programs in the ass immediately. Which isn't too terribly impressive, but it's where we're at for now.

Would get 25 Top-100 recruits by the day after tomorrow.

R.C. Slocum. The time is now.

I would suggest Richard Slocum.  Goes by "R.C."  I think he is still a special assistant to the President at A&M.

Had some decent offensive players go through College Station during his tenure, and I've heard his defenses weren't shabby, either.

Knows how to beat Texas, and expects to.

Has been around bonfires before, some even bigger than ours.

Would begin kicking other SBC programs in the ass immediately.  Which isn't too terribly impressive, but it's where we're at for now.

Would get 25 Top-100 recruits by the day after tomorrow.

R.C. Slocum.  The time is now.

Give me a coach who is on his way up (Dodge, Dykes) over a coach who is on his way down (Slocum).

I'll re-open the Bruce Chambers file...

Graduate of Dallas Carter high school and North Texas ('82).  He was a 4-yr letterman as a WR (also track and field).

BIG-TIME Texas high school coach for 14 years at Dallas Carter (1983-1997) before moving up to the University of Texas, coaching running backs (1998-2002), tight ends (2003-2005), and has been a KEY player in recruiting (currently recruiting coordinator) for the Longhorns.  He's also the assistant head coach and director of UT's High School Coaches Clinic.

A re post from the first page. I'd take this guy in a heart beat!

In just one season on the job, Don Carthel has changed the culture and fortune of Buffalo football. After being introduced as the 26th head coach of West Texas A&M Football on April 27, 2005, Carthel began the process of transforming a program that had not posted a winning record since 1998 and the results were nothing short of amazing.

In 2005, the Buffs stormed back on the collegiate football map as they collected a 10-1 regular season record and captured the school's first Lone Star Conference Championship in 19 years. Excitement about Carthel's program was also at new heights as attendance soared, averaging over 14,000 fans a game at Kimbrough Memorial Stadium during the regular season. In addition to gaining praise from many WTAMU alumni and area media outlets, Carthel was honored by his peers after the completion of the season by being named 2005 Lone Star Conference Coach of the Year.

"Don Carthel has a proven record, a passion for coaching and a commitment to winning," Dr. Russell C. Long, former WTAMU president said. "He has a strong support base in this area and is well known as a man of principle and integrity."

"Don's first year at West Texas A&M exceeded all on-field expectations," said Director of Athletics Michael McBroom. "The success of the football team directly translated to great enthusiasm and excitement for Buffalo football throughout our community. With success comes higher expectations; our challenge now is to achieve consistent success over many seasons. I am confident that Don will be able to deliver a quality football product for our fans for years to come."

The Friona, Texas native returns to college football and the LSC, where he had previous coaching stints at Eastern New Mexico University and Abilene Christian University. Carthel was born in Dimmitt and raised in Friona, and as a child, he found rides to Kimbrough Memorial Stadium on Saturdays to watch WT home games.

"I've always loved coming to WT to watch sports. I remember coming to basketball games to watch Mike Mitchell and Maurice Cheeks, and I fondly remember football games. I began watching WT when Pistol Pete Pedro played and then Duane Thomas and through the Joe Kerbel era. It was always a highlight to come from Friona to WT games. It's a privilege to be a part of the rich WT tradition."

In addition to coaching at the school, Carthel also graduated from ENMU with a bachelor's degree in physical education with a minor in mathematics in 1974 and a master's in physical education in 1975. While at ENMU played center/kicker for the Greyhounds from 1970-73, helping ENMU to a No. 17 ranking in NAIA his senior season.

In 1975, Carthel began his coaching career at Floydada High School, serving as the defensive coordinator under Texas High School Hall of Fame coach L.G. Wilson, leading Floydada to the district championship in both 1975 and '76.

In 1977, Carthel moved up to the collegiate ranks, beginning at NCAA-III Dubuque University (Iowa) and was the assistant head coach/defensive coordinator for the Spartans from 1977-79, being part of a staff that turned the program around, after DU won just three games in the previous four year. Dubuque went to the NCAA playoffs, winning back-to-back Iowa Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (IIAC) championships in 1978 and '79. DU was undefeated in 1979 and ranked No. 3 in the country.

Carthel served as defensive coordinator at Ft Worth's Boswell High School in 1980.

In 1981 at the age of 28, Carthel became the youngest head coach in the country when he took over the head coach position at Lubbock Christian College (now Lubbock Christian University) from 1981-82.

Carthel was an assistant coach at the University of Texas-El Paso from 1983-84, before he became the head coach at ENMU from 1985-1991.

While head coach at ENMU, Carthel helped the Greyhounds make the transition from NAIA to NCAA Division II, and becoming one the top programs in the LSC. In 1985, Carthel's first year at the helm, the Greyhounds were playing Texas A&I University (currently Texas A&M University-Kingsville) in the season finale for a share of the LSC title.

Though they narrowly lost that game, 21-17, the Greyhounds won the conference crown in 1991, becoming the first team outside of Texas to win the LSC championship in the conference's 59 years of football.

In his seven years at ENMU, Carthel compiled a 44-28-1 (.610) ledger, winning seven or more games in five of those seven seasons, including opening the 1987 season with a 9-0 record and tying the school record for victories in a season. In five of Carthel's seven years, the Greyhounds were ranked in the Division II Top 20 Poll. Carthel was inducted into the ENMU Hall of Fame in 2001.

In January, 1992, Carthel resigned from coaching to return to Friona, where he farmed and raised his family, serving on the Friona school board for nine years. However, Carthel could not stay away from coaching and became a volunteer coach for Abilene Christian.

His son Colby was a standout linebacker at Angelo State University, leading the Rams to the LSC South title in 1999. The younger Carthel joined the ACU staff in 2000 as the recruiting coordinator and defensive line coach. In Abilene, the father and son enjoyed their first coaching stint on the same sideline prior to this summer when Colby joined the WTAMU football staff as the Buff's defensive coordinator.

The elder Carthel coached at ACU until 2004, when he was named the head coach and general manager of the Dusters in their inaugural season in the Intense Football League. Amarillo posted a 15-3 record under Carthel and won the IFL Championship last year. The Dusters joined the AFL2 in the april of 2005 and had a 2-1 record when Carthel resigned to take his current post at West Texas A&M.

Carthel received the Coach of the Year award from the IFL, as well as being named to the Panhandle Sports Hall of Fame in 2004 for leading the Dusters to the IFL crown. That honor accompanies his 1991 Panhandle Sports Hall of Fame Honor for leading the ENMU football program to the LSC Championship.

"The Amarillo Dusters' success really opened my eyes to fans' reaction and appreciation of a winning football program in the Texas Panhandle and we hope to put just as an exciting program together here at WT that people can get excited about and enjoy watching," Carthel said. "We hope to provide a program that the alumni and boosters can be very proud of."

Carthel and his wife Cindy Phillips of Farwell, Texas, have been married for 33 years, and have two adult children, Colby and Courtney. Colby joins his father on the Buffs sideline this fall as WTAMU's defensive coordinator and is married to Sarah (Butler) Carthel, an All-American volleyball player for the WTAMU Lady Buffs and current graduate assistant for the WTAMU volleyball program. Courtney Burgoon is married to Andrew Burgoon, an assistant principal in the Canyon ISD, and they have twin 2-year-old daughters, Kylie and Kyler.

Wow, what a day for my Mean Green friends. I know several of you guys have wanted this for a while so congrats to you. I think speculation on "who's going to be the next coach" is about the most fun and exciting time on any message board (except for maybe signing day for recruits). Just to get your wheels turning, here's my theory on hiring coaches for D1A schools. To me, there's only one big rule for us "mid-major" programs: Hire a coach that is coaching or has coached in Division 1A. Doesn't have to have been a head coach. No high school guys, no lower divsion folks, no NFL types (Pete Carrol, Charlie Weiss, Dave Wannstead, Nick Sabein, etc ain't comin.) To me, there are 3 choices. Go Young, Go Old, or Go Ugly.

Go Young: Look for an up and coming co-ordinator or posistion coach at a current "power six" conference school. Focus equally on who his head coaches were and how the group he is in charge of is producing. Also, take a look at the list of the players that he personally has recruited/developed.

Rewards: He's in the game. He could bring a recuit or two with him. He will bring enthusiasm and new ideas to the program. Will relate well to recruits.

Risks: If he's good, he could be snatched up by a bigger program long before you're ready to let him go. He could flop, there maybe a reason he doesn't have a head coaching job. You have no record to go on as a head coach. A huge gamble, but if it pays off, your AD looks like a genius. If it doesn't, then you drop him in a couple of years and start over.

Possible names: I haven't done much research on this one, but I'm sure you guys could come up with some young up and comers to give their first HC job to.

My choice for UNT: Tyrone Nix, DC at South Carolina. Firey, great recruiter, and I'm sure he picked up SOMETHING for Jeff Bower and Steve Spurrier that he could bring to UNT.

Go Old: An older, proven coach in retirement or semi-retirement that just can't stay away. It's just in their blood and they need one last challenge. We have an example of this in our own conference with Schnelly. UNLV did it with Robinson. You may have to dig a little and the offer would have to be just right (they'd probably want a lot of control and leeway). But you might snag one of the legends.

Rewards: Proven track record. You know what you'll be getting. Instant respect and lots of free PR. Will probably turn the heads of some recruits' fathers who weren't considering UNT before, but because the recognize the name, they might give it a second look. These guys also know how to raise funds and deal with alumni. They can stare down their detractors and can get away with saying most anything to anyone.

Risks: Their career is going to be a short one (4 to 5 years max) going in, but could be cut shorter by health risks or just plain giving it up. The game may have "passed them by" in some phases. They also are probably not going to want to go out and recruit very much. In all likelihood, they would intimidate school officials.

Possible names: Someone mentioned R.C. Slocumb earlier and that is right on track with this category. Other names that may not be as far off as you think might include: Jim Donnan, Lou Holtz, Bill Curry, and Jackie Sherrell (although he might fall into the next category). I'm sure you guys could come up with several more.

My choice: Gene Stallings. Former Alabama and Arizona Cardinal head coach. I hear him on the radio every week and he sounds like he still has the fire. Stallings is very intelligent and he is still very into the college game. If I'm not mistaken, I think he has some Texas ties as well. I could be totally off base, but I think he might be up for giving it one more run. Before Shula was hired at Bama, Stallings' name was seriously being considered.

Go Ugly: I think you guys all know where I'm heading here. Good coaches with either shady pasts or who fell into some hard times at their last school. Of course we all know about Mike Price, but there are many, many examples of coaches who were at major programs who ended up at non-BCS schools (Frank Solich, Larry Eustache, George O'Leary etc...). Not just guys who made mistakes, but also guys who had a losing record for a year or two and got fired maybe a little too early.

Rewards: Proven track record. You know the guy can win and recruit. He's been a head coach and he knows what to do. He's going to be extra hungry to win to show the people who let him go that they made a mistake. Instant name recognition. Also, it's highly likely that their contract was bought out for a significant amount of money so they may actually be in your price range.

Risks: Could have some negative publicity surrounding him. There's always the chance that he could do again whatever it was that got him fired the first time. If he does have success, he could be looking to take the first train out to get back to "the big leagues".

Possible names: I saw you guys mention Rick Neuhausel earlier in this thread and that's exactly the kind of guy you want to look for when going ugly. Not too many other ones have made off the field mistakes to get fired this year, but there are plenty of coaches who have had success who will probably get canned. Larry Coker, John Bunting, Chuck Amato, John L. Smith (at Louisville, not MSU), Mike Shula (probably next year on that one), Dennis Franchonie, The Iowa State coach who just quit today, etc.

My choice for UNT: Another former Colorado coach: Gary Barnett. This guy was Big 10 and Big 12 coach of the year. Sure, he ran a wild zoo up there in Colorado and there maybe a few things that follow him around from that, but the man can coach. Why not take a gamble on this cat?

Anyway, thanks for allowing me to post. Good luck on the coach search. The Belt isn't as fun when you guys are winning and posting happy thoughts.

See you guys in basketball if we can get enough of our players healthy/elegible to make a team.

What about Barry Switzer? Not that I like the guy, but he's got ties to Texas, definite college head coaching experience, no argument about name recognition, and I think I remember hearing at some point that he was originally interested in the HC job here before we hired DD.

Guest Aquila_Viridis

Mac McWhorter, OL coach at Texas. That's where it all starts, and he should be able to figure out how to put pressure on the other teams' OLs. I think he must be a jujitsu master.

I'm with Monkeypox - How about Bruce Chambers from UT? Great recruiter, former UNT letterman and grad, outstanding DFW ties from his days coaching at Dallas Carter...

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/ind...hange_well_id=2

Bruce Chambers

Recruiting Coordinator/Tight Ends

· The Bruce Chambers File

One of the most respected high school coaches in Texas for 14 years, Bruce Chambers has continued that success at The University of Texas. Chambers is in his fourth season as UT's tight ends coach after spending the previous five years working with the Longhorns running backs. He also was promoted to assistant head coach and to director of UT’s High School Coaches Clinic in 2004 before being named recruiting coordinator in 2005.

In 2005, Chambers guided David Thomas to one of the best seasons by a tight end in UT history. Thomas, who earned first team All-Big 12 honors, set the single-season record for receptions by a tight end with 50, finished second on the single-season list in yards with 613 and tied for third in TD receptions with five. In total, Thomas rewrote the record book under Chambers, finishing his career as Texas’ all-time tight end leader in receptions (98), yards (1,367) and TDs (15).

During his second season as tight ends coach, Chambers helped improve the productivity of senior Bo Scaife and junior David Thomas. Scaife was named first team All-Big 12 after catching 26 passes for 348 yards and two TDs, while Thomas earned second team All-Big 12 honors with 25 receptions for 430 yards and five TDs. The tight ends were also instrumental in the Longhorns running game in 2004. Their blocking helped UT finish second nationally in rushing (299.2 ypg).

In 2003, Chambers guided a unit that combined to catch 30 passes for 415 yards and five TDs. Scaife and Thomas each earned honorable mention All-Big 12 honors from The Associated Press.

In his first five seasons at Texas, Chambers coached three of the nine 1,000-yard rushers (Ricky Williams, 1998 / Hodges Mitchell, 1999-2000 / Cedric Benson, 2001-02) in school history and became the first position coach since Fred Akers (with Roosevelt Leaks and Earl Campbell in '73 and '74-75, respectively) to have two different backs earn first-team all-conference honors in three consecutive seasons (Williams, 1998 / Mitchell, 1999-2000). He coached a 1,000-yard rusher in each of his five years as UT’s running backs coach.

The Longhorns featured one of the Big 12's top backfields in Chambers' first year at UT, as Heisman Trophy winner Ricky Williams led the nation in rushing (193.1 ypg) and posted the fifth-highest rushing total in NCAA history (2,124 yards). Williams went on to earn Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year accolades and first-team All-America honors for the second consecutive year and was a first-round selection (No. 5 overall) of the New Orleans Saints in the 1999 NFL Draft. Williams' success was due in part to his lead blocker and versatile backfield mate Ricky Brown, who earned honorable mention All-Big 12 honors despite limited carries in '98.

In 1999, Mitchell stepped to the forefront of the Longhorns backfield. Not only did he earn first-team All-Big 12 accolades under Chambers' direction, but he also became only the eighth running back in UT history to rush for 1,000 yards in a season and the first in school history to rush for 1,000 yards and tally 300 receiving yards in a single season. Mitchell's 1,343 rushing yards in 1999 also marked the fifth-highest rushing output in UT history, while his 1,824 all-purpose yards rank seventh on the school's single-season chart.

Under Chambers' direction, Mitchell again earned first-team All-Big 12 honors in 2000. He posted a pair of 200-yard rushing games, set a Big 12 and UT single-game all-purpose yardage record (375, at Kansas), registered another 1,000-yard rushing season (1,118/No. 11 on UT's all-time list) and posted the third-most all-purpose yards in a season (1,931). Mitchell finished his career sixth on UT's all-time rushing chart (2,664 yards) and fourth on the career all-purpose yardage list (4,945).

In 2001, Chambers faced the task of preparing true freshman Cedric Benson for action. Benson went on to become the first freshman in UT history to rush for 1,000 yards and was tabbed the Big 12 Offensive Freshman of the Year, the Longhorns Offensive MVP and third-team All-Big 12. His 13 UT freshman records were highlighted by his 1,053 rushing yards, 12 rushing TDs and five 100-yard rushing games (all in a row). Benson also rushed for a UT freshman-best 213 yards against Kansas.

Under Chambers’ direction, Benson followed up his fine freshman season with 1,293 yards (No. 6 on UT's season list) in 2002.

In Chambers' first five seasons, the Longhorns turned in 19 games of 200 or more yards rushing, including a 434-yard rushing day against Rice in 1998 and a 396-yard effort at Kansas in 2000. He also guided three different UT players who rushed for 200 yards in a game.

Chambers joined the UT staff from Carter High School in Dallas, where he helped coach one of the state's most successful football programs for 14 seasons. He was the head coach and athletics director during his final two years and also taught speech and journalism classes at the school.

Chambers' tie to high school coaching and his understanding of young men, parents and the job of the high school coach made him a prime candidate when Mack Brown was forming his staff at UT.

In his 14 seasons at Carter, the Cowboys advanced to the state playoffs each year, won the 1988 State Championship, earned four regional titles and claimed 13 district crowns.

A graduate of North Texas, Chambers was Carter's head coach in 1996 and '97, compiling a record of 18-6. His Cowboys teams were bi-district finalists and District Champions both years.

From 1993-95, Chambers served as Carter's varsity offensive coordinator and assistant head coach. The Cowboys were area finalists and District Champions during all three of those years.

Prior to that, Chambers coached on the defensive side of the ball from 1989-92 and served as coordinator. During that time, Carter was a state semifinalist and two-time District Champion.

A four-year letterman as a wide receiver and a two-time letterwinner in track & field at North Texas, Chambers earned his degree in journalism in 1982. He began his coaching career in 1984 as a freshman coach at Carter and then moved over to tutor the junior varsity's offense from 1986-88.

While at Carter, Chambers helped develop future NFL players Jessie Armstead (LB, New York Giants & Washington Redskins), Jirmetrius Butler (CB, St. Louis Rams), Greg Hill (RB, Kansas City Chiefs & Detroit Lions), Kendall Jacox (OL, New Orleans Saints) and Darryl Jones (WR, New York Giants).

His wife's name is Cathy.

What about Barry Switzer? Not that I like the guy, but he's got ties to Texas, definite college head coaching experience, no argument about name recognition, and I think I remember hearing at some point that he was originally interested in the HC job here before we hired DD.

No.

NO!

NO!!!!

He can rot on the OU sidelines for all I care.

How about Bruce Chambers from UT?  Great recruiter, former UNT letterman and grad, outstanding DFW ties from his days coaching at Dallas Carter...

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/ind...hange_well_id=2

Bruce Chambers

Recruiting Coordinator/Tight Ends

· The Bruce Chambers File

One of the most respected high school coaches in Texas for 14 years, Bruce Chambers has continued that success at The University of Texas. Chambers is in his fourth season as UT's tight ends coach after spending the previous five years working with the Longhorns running backs. He also was promoted to assistant head coach and to director of UT’s High School Coaches Clinic in 2004 before being named recruiting coordinator in 2005.

In 2005, Chambers guided David Thomas to one of the best seasons by a tight end in UT history. Thomas, who earned first team All-Big 12 honors, set the single-season record for receptions by a tight end with 50, finished second on the single-season list in yards with 613 and tied for third in TD receptions with five. In total, Thomas rewrote the record book under Chambers, finishing his career as Texas’ all-time tight end leader in receptions (98), yards (1,367) and TDs (15).

During his second season as tight ends coach, Chambers helped improve the productivity of senior Bo Scaife and junior David Thomas. Scaife was named first team All-Big 12 after catching 26 passes for 348 yards and two TDs, while Thomas earned second team All-Big 12 honors with 25 receptions for 430 yards and five TDs. The tight ends were also instrumental in the Longhorns running game in 2004. Their blocking helped UT finish second nationally in rushing (299.2 ypg).

In 2003, Chambers guided a unit that combined to catch 30 passes for 415 yards and five TDs. Scaife and Thomas each earned honorable mention All-Big 12 honors from The Associated Press.

In his first five seasons at Texas, Chambers coached three of the nine 1,000-yard rushers (Ricky Williams, 1998 / Hodges Mitchell, 1999-2000 / Cedric Benson, 2001-02) in school history and became the first position coach since Fred Akers (with Roosevelt Leaks and Earl Campbell in '73 and '74-75, respectively) to have two different backs earn first-team all-conference honors in three consecutive seasons (Williams, 1998 / Mitchell, 1999-2000). He coached a 1,000-yard rusher in each of his five years as UT’s running backs coach.

The Longhorns featured one of the Big 12's top backfields in Chambers' first year at UT, as Heisman Trophy winner Ricky Williams led the nation in rushing (193.1 ypg) and posted the fifth-highest rushing total in NCAA history (2,124 yards). Williams went on to earn Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year accolades and first-team All-America honors for the second consecutive year and was a first-round selection (No. 5 overall) of the New Orleans Saints in the 1999 NFL Draft. Williams' success was due in part to his lead blocker and versatile backfield mate Ricky Brown, who earned honorable mention All-Big 12 honors despite limited carries in '98.

In 1999, Mitchell stepped to the forefront of the Longhorns backfield. Not only did he earn first-team All-Big 12 accolades under Chambers' direction, but he also became only the eighth running back in UT history to rush for 1,000 yards in a season and the first in school history to rush for 1,000 yards and tally 300 receiving yards in a single season. Mitchell's 1,343 rushing yards in 1999 also marked the fifth-highest rushing output in UT history, while his 1,824 all-purpose yards rank seventh on the school's single-season chart.

Under Chambers' direction, Mitchell again earned first-team All-Big 12 honors in 2000. He posted a pair of 200-yard rushing games, set a Big 12 and UT single-game all-purpose yardage record (375, at Kansas), registered another 1,000-yard rushing season (1,118/No. 11 on UT's all-time list) and posted the third-most all-purpose yards in a season (1,931). Mitchell finished his career sixth on UT's all-time rushing chart (2,664 yards) and fourth on the career all-purpose yardage list (4,945).

In 2001, Chambers faced the task of preparing true freshman Cedric Benson for action. Benson went on to become the first freshman in UT history to rush for 1,000 yards and was tabbed the Big 12 Offensive Freshman of the Year, the Longhorns Offensive MVP and third-team All-Big 12. His 13 UT freshman records were highlighted by his 1,053 rushing yards, 12 rushing TDs and five 100-yard rushing games (all in a row). Benson also rushed for a UT freshman-best 213 yards against Kansas.

Under Chambers’ direction, Benson followed up his fine freshman season with 1,293 yards (No. 6 on UT's season list) in 2002.

In Chambers' first five seasons, the Longhorns turned in 19 games of 200 or more yards rushing, including a 434-yard rushing day against Rice in 1998 and a 396-yard effort at Kansas in 2000. He also guided three different UT players who rushed for 200 yards in a game.

Chambers joined the UT staff from Carter High School in Dallas, where he helped coach one of the state's most successful football programs for 14 seasons. He was the head coach and athletics director during his final two years and also taught speech and journalism classes at the school.

Chambers' tie to high school coaching and his understanding of young men, parents and the job of the high school coach made him a prime candidate when Mack Brown was forming his staff at UT.

In his 14 seasons at Carter, the Cowboys advanced to the state playoffs each year, won the 1988 State Championship, earned four regional titles and claimed 13 district crowns.

A graduate of North Texas, Chambers was Carter's head coach in 1996 and '97, compiling a record of 18-6. His Cowboys teams were bi-district finalists and District Champions both years.

From 1993-95, Chambers served as Carter's varsity offensive coordinator and assistant head coach. The Cowboys were area finalists and District Champions during all three of those years.

Prior to that, Chambers coached on the defensive side of the ball from 1989-92 and served as coordinator. During that time, Carter was a state semifinalist and two-time District Champion.

A four-year letterman as a wide receiver and a two-time letterwinner in track & field at North Texas, Chambers earned his degree in journalism in 1982. He began his coaching career in 1984 as a freshman coach at Carter and then moved over to tutor the junior varsity's offense from 1986-88.

While at Carter, Chambers helped develop future NFL players Jessie Armstead (LB, New York Giants & Washington Redskins), Jirmetrius Butler (CB, St. Louis Rams), Greg Hill (RB, Kansas City Chiefs & Detroit Lions), Kendall Jacox (OL, New Orleans Saints) and Darryl Jones (WR, New York Giants).

His wife's name is Cathy.

He just went to the TOP of my list!!! Like it matters...but its MY LIST tongue.gif

Is Buddy Ryan still alive? He had some good defenses and he at least coached with emotion. Plus, it'd be cool to see him try to deck RF like he did Kevin Gilbride.

His son is a coach for Oakland.... the worst team in the NFL.