FIU - UM Mess

chrisfisher

Full story here

I'm proud of FIU for these additional suspensions and releases from the team... 18 in all. They send a statement that behavior will not be tolerated even if it means a quarter of the team is suspended.

Edited by chrisfisher

I like this commentary about the incident.

At Miami, stupidity now has tenure

By

Gil LeBreton

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

The thing about Miami is it's not the heat -- it's the stupidity.

The football teams from Florida International and the University of Miami displayed ample doses of it during their televised third-quarter brawl last Saturday night.

There was holder-tackling. Helmet-swinging. Cleat-kicking. And even a medical breakthrough -- crutch-clubbing.

It was an ugly incident, even for a school that has a long police-blotter history of such incidents.

At the minimum, several lengthy suspensions appeared to be in order for the brawling Hurricanes. Some dismissals from the team, perhaps. And revoking of scholarships.

But no, not at Miami.

University president Donna Shalala said Tuesday that the wrist slaps already imposed on 13 Miami players were punishment enough.

"This university will be firm and punish people who do bad things," Shalala said. "But we will not throw any student under the bus for instant restoration of our image or our reputation.

"I will not hang them in a public square. I will not eliminate their participation at the university. I will not take away their scholarships."

Amazing.

Effective immediately, the school president added, Miami will institute a "zero tolerance" policy for football players who fight. From now on, it appears, swat somebody with your crutches during a midfield melee, and you're gone.

I get it. Rant and rescue. The mark of another bad parent.

A day before, Miami coach Larry Coker stood before the media and assured, "I do have a grip on this program. Don't ever doubt that."

But Coker barely has a grip on his job, let alone his football team.

A shouting and shoving match broke out in Louisville earlier this season, when Miami players decided to dance on the Cardinals' midfield logo before the opening kickoff. After quitting and embarrassing themselves at the Peach Bowl last season, losing 40-3, Miami players started a fight with LSU in the post-game tunnel.

Miami didn't write the book on college athletes in trouble. But history tells us that the Hurricanes are in plenty of the mugshots.

Shalala can issue whatever decrees she wants, but Miami's unofficial public probation isn't over. And Coker should know that.

Miami, of all schools, should have already had a "zero tolerance" policy for on-field fighting.

All schools should, come to think of it.

If, let's say, a chemistry major, while representing the university, starts a room-clearing brawl on national TV, wouldn't he be more severely reprimanded than made to empty a few hospital bed pans? Wouldn't a normal student have his scholarship taken away or be kicked out of school?

Football players at Miami are on full scholarship. According to the school's Web site, tuition, room and board at Miami is worth $45,343 per year.

And Shalala wants to "honor" these thugs' scholarships?

At crosstown Florida International, nine miles from the Miami campus, punishment for the Saturday incident came swiftly. Two FIU players were dismissed from the team. Sixteen other players were suspended indefinitely.

But Shalala doesn't want her school's punks thrown "under the bus?"

One of the wry sidebars to Saturday night's brawl is that it was "Salute to Florida High School Football" night at the Orange Bowl, and hundreds of South Florida prep teams reportedly were in attendance.

But when The Miami Herald asked one of them about the fight, safety Major Wright of St. Thomas Aquinas High School, who's being recruited by the Hurricanes, said, "It doesn't make me look at Miami any differently. Miami is Miami."

Miami is Miami. Truer words were never spoken.

The irony is that Shalala, a former member of President Bill Clinton's Cabinet, was brought to Miami in 2001, in part, to oversee the advancement of the university's academic profile. Coker reportedly is graduating more football players than Dennis Erickson ever did, but Miami has failed so far in its mission to become a palm-tree Harvard. It may have five national championships in football, but Miami still ranks no higher than 50th (according to one respected ranking) among the nation's private universities.

How many of those coveted A-students are going to see Saturday's brawl at the Orange Bowl and want to race to enroll at Miami? How many parents would allow them?

Instead of ranting and rescuing, Miami should be scouring and showing them the door.

Until then, Miami is Miami.

There is an interesting article in the Raleigh paper today which speaks to the demise of the ACC in terms of sportsmanship. Miami is indeed Miami, but look at Va Tech as another example of college football gone wrong. By one estimate, which I have neither the time or resources to verify, 25% of the current football players at UNC have had some sort of major problem with the law.

Virginia, Duke, and similar schools all used to have a tradition of scholarship among its athletes. All that is gone now as the bar is lowered and thugs (aka student-athletes) are allowed to play college football.

What is really ironic is the commercial the ACC shows on their game of the week which is broadcast locally. It shows all the ACC coaches, speaking as one, about all the things ACC football stands for: good sportsmanship, respect, honor, etc. etc.

While the fight was poor for both schools, at least FIU and the Sun Belt are getting some favorable press about how they are handling this.

--As I posted on another thread.... FIU and Strock has tried to do the right thing.... Miami hasn't. perhaps all-conference opponents (including us) should cancel their games with Miami... especially games at Miami.

---From what I read about the ACC, their fans actions at basketball games are unbelievable. That whole conference seems to have real problems .. They need to back off at take a look at what is going on.

A radio commentator made a comment/comparison that I agree with 100%. If this was a fraternity party and a group from another university showed up and started a riot, the university would expel the fraternity from the campus and suspend/expel the students without another thought. Why is the football team, that is widely recognized as part of the university and by its actions, brings tons of negative publicity to this institution slapped on the wrist and not held to the same standard? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Edited by UNTLifer

A radio commentator made a comment/comparison that I agree with 100%.  If this was a fraternity party and a group from another university showed up and started a riot, the university would expel the fraternity from the campus and suspend/expel the students without another thought.  Why isn't the football team, that is widely recognized as part of the university and by its actions, brings tons of negative publicity to this institution slapped on the wrist?  $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

That's actually a pretty genius comment right there.