10 Best Games Of The Week

MeanGreen61

From College Football News.

http://cfn.scout.com/2/577288.html

2. North Texas 25 ... FIU 22 7OT

It took an NCAA record tying seven overtimes for North Texas to finally put away FIU on a 34-yard field goal from Denis Hopovac. With the game tied at 16 after regulation, the two teams traded field goals until FIU's Dustin Rivest pushed a 35-yard shot wide right allowing North Texas to come up with the game-winning score. FIU thought it had the game won in the fifth OT, but an apparent touchdown pass to Jeremy Dickens was reviewed and reversed. The ball was put on the one, and the Golden Panthers ended up settling for a field goal.

Player of the game ... North Texas PK Dustin Rivest hit four field goals including three in overtime from 37, 39, and 34 yards out.

Stat Leaders:

FIU - Passing: Josh Padrick, 29-43, 248 yds, 1 TD

Rushing: Julian Reams, 27-96. Receiving: Ashlyn Parker, 8-71

North Texas - Passing: Daniel Meager, 8-18, 86 yds, 1 TD

Rushing: Jamario Thomas, 38-124 Receiving: Johnny Quinn, 10-88, 1 TD

Completely contradicts the naysayers (who didn't even go to the game) calling the game an embarrassment.

QUOTE(LongJim @ Oct 9 2006, 03:10 PM)

WORKING OVERTIME

By Brad Edwards, ESPN Research

North Texas entered Saturday as the only team among the 119 in Division I-A that had never played an overtime game. The Mean Green not only ended that streak, but they did it in style (sort of) with a 25-22 thriller (sort of) over Florida International in a record-tying seven overtime periods. By any account, it was an ugly win. There were four scoreless overtime periods -- also a I-A record -- as the kickers (neither was substituted for) combined to miss 8 of their 13 field-goal attempts in OT. North Texas kicker Denis Hopovac tied an NCAA record with nine field-goal attempts in the game. He made five, including the merciful game ender from 34 yards away.

Far be it from me to question anything blink.gif

I stand corrected.  It was a fabulous game, and DD's offensive brilliance is to be commended for getting us to 7 OT's.

Nobody on this board at all said it was a briiliant offensive game or that the team looked great. But, the reality was it was a stirring game to win, as witnesses by the spontaneous reaction of the crowd and the team at the finish. It seems as though you can't see past your negativity. I'm upset about a lot of things regarding the program and the coaching, but I still appreciate a victory like this. Based on all the positive publicity in this area (more than we got from beating SMU), I'd say that regardless of all the other problems, it was a good victory for the team and the school.

Nobody on this board at all said it was a briiliant offensive game or that the team looked great. But, the reality was it was a stirring game to win, as witnesses by the spontaneous reaction of the crowd and the team at the finish. It seems as though you can't see past your negativity. I'm upset about a lot of things regarding the program and the coaching, but I still appreciate a victory like this. Based on all the positive publicity in this area (more than we got from beating SMU), I'd say that regardless of all the other problems, it was a good victory for the team and the school.

That is funny.. because everyone that I shared the story of the game just laughed. They wanted to be there... but only to witness the hilarity and jokeness of it all.

I am not impressed with the win by any stretch. Though it was very fun and frustrating to watch all at the same time.

Triggity trav of the chinese chicken.

That is funny.. because everyone that I shared the story of the game just laughed.  They wanted to be there... but only to witness the hilarity and jokeness of it all.

I am not impressed with the win by any stretch.  Though it was very fun and frustrating to watch all at the same time.

Triggity trav of the chinese chicken.

Rick, I don't hold these coaches to any standards.  Which means I am done with them.

I set the stage up for several friends, one UNT MBA grad, and ask them what happened at the game after UNT made the game winning field goal, and both of their responses were (laughing as they said it) "Don't tell me the fans rushed the field...please don't say that's what happened."

--- I suppose some people aren't impressed with no-hitters either.... after all there were no homeruns hit. The third period was awful but from then on it was very entertaining and the defenses would not allow the other team to get near the goal very often which explains the long field goals and the number of misses. UNT made several desparate first downs in the OT period. They did not give up and even scored the go ahead TD and 2 point conversion with less than a min to go. Unfortunately FIU kicked a field goal later to tie it and start the 7 OT madness.

---I would not call it a great game (over-all) but it was no joke either nor is FIU. They have lost 5 games by a total of 14 points, including the one that we defeated them by 3. they lost to MTSU by 1 and So. Florida by 1 and Maryland by 4 and Bowling Green by 5. Unfortunately they get Miami (Florida) and Alabama next.

The joke was our loss to MTSU by 35 when we could even not cross the mid-stripe.

--- I suppose some people aren't impressed with no-hitters either.... after all there were no homeruns hit. 

The joke is comparing that game to a no-hitter in baseball. One, the no-hitter FYI, is perfection. This game was far from perfection. In fact, I'm embarrassed this comparison was even made.

The joke is comparing that game to a no-hitter in baseball.  One, the no-hitter FYI, is perfection.  This game was far from perfection.  In fact, I'm embarrassed this comparison was even made.

Agreed. In fact, the only baseball comparison I might consider to be legitimate woud be something like winning the game on a bases-loaded, intentional walk, while setting records for most walks and most baserunners left on base.

---The comparison was meant to indicate that some people think great games are high scoring ones, not ones in which defense dominates. The defense dominated the OTs. It was not meant to mean it was a perfect game.... It was not periods of mess-ups but mostly of good defense. Did not think I needed to explain so mush.

---The comparison was meant to indicate that some people think great games are high scoring ones, not ones in which defense dominates.  The defense dominated the OTs.  It was not meant to mean it was a perfect game.... It was not  periods of mess-ups but mostly of good defense.  Did not think I needed to explain so mush.

As many people state on here from time to time, we will just have to agree to disagree. I think inept offense led to 7 OT's, you think dominate defense. It's a chicken or the egg type of thing.