Who do you want as our starting QB

UNT_playmaker

Well its a no brainer that i dont want Meager on the field after last season, i kept hearing he didnt get along with the other players. Its close between Phillips and Wilson, Phillips seems like a leader and was ralling up the players on the sideline and make some impressive plays. Wilson has great speed and is good under pressure and we needs someone who can make plays when we need them the most.

My pick: Woody Wilson..... im really hoping we do better than last season, man if we lose to SMU, i will destroyed all of my tailgating gear in the parking lot. sad.gif

Edited by UNT_playmaker

I want the starting QB to be the one who has the most confidence in himself, and in this team. I also want the starting QB to be the one that the team has the most confidence in as well. Because when that happens, the team will make the extra effort to protect him.

I know that it irritates some people when you talk about the intangibles of leadership and confidence in the QB position. But to me, those are the most important qualities that you can have in a QB.

And after you've put a QB out on the field who is confident in himself, and is a leader, then it's the coaches job to give him a viable offensive scheme to work with.

Edited by SilverEagle

Not having seen any spring ball (I'm just going off internet buzz) I'm going for Phillips with Wilson a close second. I want a true passer and that's what Phillips sounds like. If we truly have a great set of recievers I want the QB who can deliver the ball to them. This needs to be the year that Dickey actually opens up the offense.

GO MEAN GREEN !!!

BEAT THE HELL OUT OF TEXAS!!!!!

Guest GrayEagleOne

Since this poll is about right now, I went with Matt Phillips. Last year, when he went into a game it was either due to injury or desparation. Everyone knew he had to throw yet he did a decent job of finding receivers under extreme pressure. But what sold me on him was when he came out of the game he'd go around to different players trying to boost their spirits or give them pointers about what he needed. That's leadership. This spring, he seemed to make better decisions and he does have the stronger arm.

Meager, on the other hand, usually sat by himself, presumably to work out his problems on his own. I realize now that he was hurt and that perhaps affected his throwing motion, at the least. But, if he had a problem with his pectoral muscle and a shoulder serious enough to require surgery last spring, then why did he start every game? Didn't Scott Hall get a redshirt season for similar problems?

While I don't believe in platooning, Wilson offers an intriguing alternative. He is the better athlete. He has more speed and definitely the better runner. If our opponent was able to defense the zone read or whatever offense we use, why not switch to Wilson and give their defensea completely different set of problems? I cringe a little when he turns it upfield but maybe he can learn to slide as the pro quarterbacks do.

Rick is right, though. All of this could be subject to change by the end of this month.

Since this poll is about right now, I went with Matt Phillips.  Last year, when he went into a game it was either due to injury or desparation.  Everyone knew he had to throw yet he did a decent job of finding receivers under extreme pressure.  But what sold me on him was when he came out of the game he'd go around to different players trying to boost their spirits or give them pointers about what he needed.  That's leadership.  This spring, he seemed to make better decisions and he does have the stronger arm.

Meager, on the other hand, usually sat by himself, presumably to work out his problems on his own.  I realize now that he was hurt and that perhaps affected his throwing motion, at the least.  But, if he had a problem with his pectoral muscle and a shoulder serious enough to require surgery last spring, then why did he start every game?  Didn't Scott Hall get a redshirt season for similar problems?

While I don't believe in platooning, Wilson offers an intriguing alternative.  He is the better athlete.  He has more speed and definitely the better runner.  If our opponent was able to defense the zone read or whatever offense we use, why not switch to Wilson and give their defensea completely different set of problems?  I cringe a little when he turns it upfield but maybe he can learn to slide as the pro quarterbacks do.

Rick is right, though.  All of this could be subject to change by the end of this month.

Jack, you and I seem to evalute players almost exactly the same way.......it's kind of scary. My assessment of the QB's is exactly the same as yours......including your concern about Mr. Meager.

5:20 p.m., August 7, 2006

DANIEL MEAGER will be the opening day starter!!!!!

Oh no....please say it aint true..... mad.gif, im sorry i mean i know the boy is from the dfw area, richardson pierce to be exact, but NT doesnt have any excuse to lose to any SBC team, period.

Yeah but if Flannigan will not let him run the offense let Flanny do it himself. He proved you can remain eligible for at least 7 years while at SMU. I'm sure he could pull another year of eligibilty from somewherte. laugh.gif

Just piss him off and then put him in the game, im sure he would be a productive QB, give him a shot DD. UNT vs. SMU (Starting QB Ramon Flanigan-priceless)

yeah lets start DD's boy who has shown he can not move the offense past the 20 and basically sulk after a bad series.

What does Wilson or Phillips have to do to even start, I mean Meager started every game and he was injured last season and you saw how awesome we did then. dry.gif

Edited by untbowler