Second favorite team

Baby Arm!

Just killing time till football season.... What's your second favorite team???

Obviously North Texas is my #1. It's my alma mater and get all of time and money (however little of it I have to spare), but there are other college teams that I'll root for and like to see win. What are yours?

My List

#2. Texas- I know there are some UT haters on this board but I followed the Horns when I was a kid and still root for them (except when they play UNT)

#3. All Texas teams with the exception of SMU. I'll root for any Texas team especially when they're playing a bunch of foreigners from outside the Republic laugh.gif But I can't bring myself to root for the Mustangs. I root for whomever is playing against them.

#4. Nortre Dame- I know, I know, they have all the advantages in the world, but I'm a sucker for tradition and Nortre Dame oozes the stuff. Plus, I've watch Rudy like 2 dozen times. laugh.gif

#5. The random cinderella team that makes a run. Like when Utah made a run and broke into the BCS block party. Doesn't everyone like an underdog?

Edited by Baby Arm!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I grew up in, and still live in, McKinney, and did not attend UNT, though if my parents had had their way I would have. I ended up going to community college and UTD over 9 years working fulltime all the way through. So going to non-football schools my favorites were UT, UNT, and Baylor (before Grant Teaff retired); although I had never actually been to a game of UNT till '99 or 2000. Now I have been to 7 or 8, including the N.O. Bowls of '03 and '04. Although I'm still a UT fan, I think it's a more pleasant game experience at Fouts Field; friendlier atmosphere, closer to the action, not stuck in traffice for an hour afterword.

My other picks include:

1. Arizona State, because I live here. Good school with 1st class facilities.

2. Oklahoma U. because I went there my freshman year.

3. Missouri U. because my dad went there and played football for them.

4. Iowa U. because I was born there and went to grade school there. I've seen them play.

But North Texas is Number One all the way around! smile.gif

#2: Ohio State: Been following them since Woody Hayes days.

#3: Notre Dame: Been following them longer then OSU.

#4: Texas Tech: Parents graduated from there.

#5: Texas

#6: Alabama

I have friends who don't understand how I can actively cheer for several teams. There is a pecking order. This isn't "fair weather fan" or "bandwagon" fandom either.

I'm the same way in NBA, MLB, NFL.

Edited by gksmith

I grew up watching the Longhorns (as it is where the majority of my family attended school), so I have always favored them. That being said, there is nothing I would love more than to beat the crap out of them on September 2nd!

Im partial to UH (used to go watch Klingler and Ware sling the ball around with my dad as a kid), Rice (always the underdog), Ole Miss (again, family ties), and recently Oklahoma (just love their staff and the way they play ball).

I also root for Texas teams and anyone playing Notre Dame or Nebraska.

Really, I just love college football. And North Texas.

I'm really going to catch it, but I have to say SMU is #2. They are close enough to go watch when we are off, I know two of their players, and Phil Bennet is made of the same Kryptonite as Ramon Flannigan. ANYONE who can keep a HC job after the terrible years he has had deserves support. Last year SMU was the ONLY team to knock off TCU, and they are improving. I just hope they havent improved too much by September 9th.

Alright, let me have it....

GMG!!! ph34r.gif

In no particular order:

OU: Loved them as a kid during the Switzer years.

Arkansas: I'm the only Texan in my family, the rest are Razorback fans, so I was brought up to cheer for them and not the Horns'. Probably why I liked OU as a kid. Have kind of lost interest in Arkansas since they left the SWC.

Ohio State: For some unknown reason I liked them as a kid. I thought Art Schlitster (I know that's not even close to the correct spelling, so I took the phonics route) was the greatest QB ever.

Any Texas team, including UT now, except SMUt.

I'm really going to catch it, but I have to say SMU is #2. They are close enough to go watch when we are off, I know two of their players, and Phil Bennet is made of the same Kryptonite as Ramon Flannigan. ANYONE who can keep a HC job after the terrible years he has had deserves support. Last year SMU was the ONLY team to knock off TCU, and they are improving. I just hope they havent improved too much by September 9th.

Alright, let me have it....

GMG!!!  ph34r.gif

Blasphemy. Get a rope. The least you could have done is lied and said TCU.

Anyway, my distant #2 is the Ags. Say what you will about the Maroon Kool-Aid, but I've been to half a dozen games there and it is fun.

After that, I guess I'm on the Texas bandwagon. I probably got on it when I was at the game 2 years ago and they brought out a Texas flag that covered the WHOLE field and everybody sang "Texas, Our Texas." And they observed a moment of silence for Andrew Smith.

I certainly was not a Whorn fan once the game started. sad.gif

My wife and I both have advanced degrees from Tech, we both are members of the Tech Exes, and I was a big Red Raider fan as a child. If I had a second favorite team I guess it would be Tech. But the only athletic program I really care about is North Texas.