The Little General gets coach of the year!

Well deserved in my opinion. The best 82 game start of any coach in NBA history. The record would have been better (62-66 wins probably) had all the injuries not occurred at once.

The Mavs need to take care of business as quickly as possible with Memphis. The Spurs had to score 128 in an overtime game to beat the Queens in Game 2 last night. Hopefully (probably not though) Sacramento will stretch it to 6 or more with the Spurs and wear them out a little.

Congrats to the General!

Im really happy about this, Avery is a good guy, and I like the Mavs. Thats the one Dallas team I took on when I was living in the area!

I dont know if they can beat the Spurs, but I think they have a better shot than anyone else. The Spurs have to be the favorite at this point. Hope Dirk can come to play this year in the playoffs

personally if it was me I would have given Coach of the Year to Mike Dunleavy. The guy has turned around a loser franchise into a playoff team, one that is two games away from winning their first playoff series since they have been in LA.

But - the West (top to bottom - not the top teams) was a lot weaker than people realized. Actually, outside of about 5 teams (SA, Dallas, Detroit, Phoenix, Miami - barely) most of the NBA just wasn't that good. Even now we are seeing that Miami and Phx (with injuries) may not be as good as advertised. Denver played in a crummy division and still couldn't win 50. For all we hear about the Cavs bandwagon, the first round is no given. I know we love sports parity, but I for one love that the NBA keeps dynasties together for awhile - gives everyone a target to shoot for. If the Mavs topple SA this year, it will be that much sweeter. Having someone retire or demand a trade to ruin a team is not nearly as satisfying (i.e. the Rockets titles when Jordan took his gambling hiatus.)

I think the Clippers playoff standing has as much to do with Cassel and the Wolves, Warriors, and Kings not being as good as advertised as it does as them being a decent team. Its a someone had to move up kind of thing. Dunleavy has been there for awhile - if this was his first year I'd buy it.

I think the best job done with the least is probably in Chicago, but that's just my two cents. If you're going to reward the 3 best teams, Avery did it with the fewest all stars and the youngest cast.

• Downvote 1

personally if it was me I would have given Coach of the Year to Mike Dunleavy. The guy has turned around a loser franchise into a playoff team, one that is two games away from winning their first playoff series since they have been in LA.

Is being a Stars, Astros, and Mean Green fan for the past year like being given a nice big candy bar but then having the guy who hands it to you kick you in the nuts for 6 weeks straight?

That's rough man... I feel your pain.

• Downvote 1