NT soccer loses to China in 1-0 snoozer

I am not really a soccer fan, but I do enjoy the games.

I haven't been to the new soccer facility, but I have been to several of the games at the Peterbuilt fields. Many of the fans treated the games like a tailgate party by lining their folding chairs along the sideline and spreading their picnic stuff on a blanket or table behind their seats. There was an adjacent well lit field where all the kiddos would run around kicking soccer balls or throwing frisbees and other toys.

The games were relatively exciting because, being right along the sidelines, you were so close to the action and could see the emotion in the players' faces. In addition, the Mean Green almost always won.

If nothing else, it was a great time to have a cup of wine or beer and BS about Mean Green athletics with other fans.

Would anyone who was there care to give an attendance estimate?

The stands were fairly crowded and I believe there is supposed to be seating for 800. There were also people sitting along the touch line. I'm not a good judge of these types of things, but it was probably in the range of 600-800 people.

The stands were fairly crowded and I believe there is supposed to be seating for 800. There were also people sitting along the touch line. I'm not a good judge of these types of things, but it was probably in the range of 600-800 people.

I made it and I would agree with that estimate. I am in no way a soccer fan, but when it is a North Texas team out there, I can get much more into it.

My first soccer game to watch with kids over 6, and it was alright. I didnt get most of what was going on, (penalties make no sense to me...) but we had Emmitt explaining what was going on most of the night. (pretty good Jaeger-bombs at his tailgate didnt hurt either) At one point, Zeke and I were just screaming whatever Emmitt screamed? I think I screamed "Give em the yellow card!"..twice, and I still am not sure what that is? The game was a good time. Talked to Nick Bazaldua for a bit, and he said he and Cobbs did the Pro day at UTA. Cobbs ran again and brought his 40 time down into the 4.5's. Not bad after running a 4.7 at NT. Nick also said the scouts really just wanted to see his kickoff strength, and he really nailed a few KO's. Good luck to both of those guys.

As for the Girls game, I'm not sure soccer is my thing, but it was good to see a NT team in action. We have a really good goalie on that squad, and the new field is pretty nice too.

That is all...

GMG!!!

I made it and I would agree with that estimate.  I am in no way a soccer fan, but when it is a North Texas team out there, I can get much more into it.

600-800 is awesome for a college soccer game any time, especially for short spring season! Kudos to the marketing team!!! I think the average attendance last season was aound 400 per game, and that led the conference. Maybe this excitement will carry over to the next year! Need to shoot for SRO on home opener.....keep spreadin' the word tailgaters!

True Story.

Back in the '80's we had a pretty good men's team that would get some attention now and then. One season we had a big game against Air Force when AF was ranked nationally and the game was at Fouts. We heard about it, and also that not very many people usually attended the games. In wanting to do our part in Talons I decided that for the first time at a soccer event, "Boomer" the Cannon would be present. We asked permission and our very own "drex" thought it would be a great idea. Back then there were no endzone stands so Boomer would be placed way back up on the grass. During the game we sat up there with our lounge chairs watching and waiting for a score that never came. At one point I actually fell asleep. As luck would have it the game ended in a 0-0 tie so they played the extra period and again, a 0-0 tie. However, we still had a loaded "Boomer" in the south endzone that had to be unloaded, and there's only one way to safely unload it. So as the players started to shake hands and the 40 or so parents and fans who were in the stands started to make their way down onto the field, I fired "Boomer" off, a really good, chest thumper. It was so good that several auto alarms in the parking lot behind the AD offices were set off. Evidently everyone, including the AD staff on hand had forgotten we were even there because the sound was deafining and scared the sh#t out of everyone. Even worse was the fact that the stadium was empty which makes the sound that much louder. Players in mid hand-shake jumped a foot in the air or ducted down as they turned our direction. No one thought it was funny, but us? The referee who was headed for the sideline turned and yelled something at us that didn't sound too kind either. The Air Force guys just stood there and you could tell a few people were having to catch their breath because there is rarely a cannon at a college soccer game and no one was expecting it at all. It was strange, but funny at the same time. The look on people's faces was classic. Needless to say we were never invited back but I think we would have had we scored and helped put the punctuation on each score like at the football games. I think it would be great to see "Boomer" make a return to the ladies soccer games as he did for the Spring Game this year. The players seemed to have gotten a kick out of it?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1

I think it would be great to see "Boomer" make a return to the ladies soccer games as he did for the Spring Game this year. The players seemed to have gotten a kick out of it?

That would great, but it would actually take an active Talon to give a crap about the athletic program. It would cut into their party time.

True Story.

Back in the '80's we had a pretty good men's team that would get some attention now and then.  One season we had a big game against Air Force when AF was ranked nationally and the game was at Fouts.  We heard about it, and also that not very many people usually attended the games.  In wanting to do our part in Talons I decided that for the first time at a soccer event, "Boomer" the Cannon would be present.  We asked permission and our very own "drex" thought it would be a great idea.  Back then there were no endzone stands so Boomer would be placed way back up on the grass.  During the game we sat up there with our lounge chairs watching and waiting for a score that never came.  At one point I actually fell asleep.  As luck would have it the game ended in a 0-0 tie so they played the extra period and again, a 0-0 tie.  However, we still had a loaded "Boomer" in the south endzone that had to be unloaded, and there's only one way to safely unload it.  So as the players started to shake hands and the 40 or so parents and fans who were in the stands started to make their way down onto the field, I fired "Boomer" off, a really good, chest thumper.  It was so good that several auto alarms in the parking lot behind the AD offices were set off.  Evidently everyone, including the AD staff on hand had forgotten we were even there because the sound was deafining and scared the sh#t out of everyone.  Even worse was the fact that the stadium was empty which makes the sound that much louder.  Players in mid hand-shake jumped a foot in the air or ducted down as they turned our direction. No one thought it was funny, but us?  The referee who was headed for the sideline turned and yelled something at us that didn't sound too kind either.  The Air Force guys just stood there and you could tell a few people were having to catch their breath because there is rarely a cannon at a college soccer game and no one was expecting it at all.  It was strange, but funny at the same time.  The look on people's faces was classic.  Needless to say we were never invited back but I think we would have had we scored and helped put the punctuation on each score like at the football games.  I think it would be great to see "Boomer" make a return to the ladies soccer games as he did for the Spring Game this year.  The players seemed to have gotten a kick out of it?

Rick

Rick, imagine what a few young, excited college chums would have done had there been a shootout. Might have given a Mean Green meaning to the term "shootout"! Good Story.

True Story.

Back in the '80's we had a pretty good men's team that would get some attention now and then.  One season we had a big game against Air Force when AF was ranked nationally and the game was at Fouts.  We heard about it, and also that not very many people usually attended the games.  In wanting to do our part in Talons I decided that for the first time at a soccer event, "Boomer" the Cannon would be present.  We asked permission and our very own "drex" thought it would be a great idea.  Back then there were no endzone stands so Boomer would be placed way back up on the grass.  During the game we sat up there with our lounge chairs watching and waiting for a score that never came.  At one point I actually fell asleep.  As luck would have it the game ended in a 0-0 tie so they played the extra period and again, a 0-0 tie.  However, we still had a loaded "Boomer" in the south endzone that had to be unloaded, and there's only one way to safely unload it.  So as the players started to shake hands and the 40 or so parents and fans who were in the stands started to make their way down onto the field, I fired "Boomer" off, a really good, chest thumper.  It was so good that several auto alarms in the parking lot behind the AD offices were set off.  Evidently everyone, including the AD staff on hand had forgotten we were even there because the sound was deafining and scared the sh#t out of everyone.  Even worse was the fact that the stadium was empty which makes the sound that much louder.  Players in mid hand-shake jumped a foot in the air or ducted down as they turned our direction. No one thought it was funny, but us?  The referee who was headed for the sideline turned and yelled something at us that didn't sound too kind either.  The Air Force guys just stood there and you could tell a few people were having to catch their breath because there is rarely a cannon at a college soccer game and no one was expecting it at all.  It was strange, but funny at the same time.  The look on people's faces was classic.  Needless to say we were never invited back but I think we would have had we scored and helped put the punctuation on each score like at the football games.  I think it would be great to see "Boomer" make a return to the ladies soccer games as he did for the Spring Game this year.  The players seemed to have gotten a kick out of it?

Rick

Soccer: UNT men’s alumni game today at Mean Green Soccer Complex

09:39 AM CDT on Saturday, April 8, 2006

Former members of the North Texas men’s soccer team will host an alumni game at 4 p.m. today at the Mean Green Soccer Complex across from the Mean Green Athletic Center.

Several players from the program that is no longer a part of UNT’s lineup of athletic teams are expected to play in the game. The team is hosting a reunion in Denton this weekend.

—Staff report

• 1 month later...