Did DD Really Slam The Fans In His...

UNTLifer

With all the good things done by some posters on this board, it is overshadowed by all the constant negativity spouted here about NT Athletics. You are the reason why NT Athletics will probably never get turned around. How do you expect future generations to support NT when all you do is talk about how much NT sucks? Every time I log onto GMG.com it reminds me that for the most part people are morons.

If Jesus ever posted on this board he would say the exact same thing.

Viva la idiot board!

Coach Weibling told me my crap stank, I'm withdrawing my donation to Women's Basketball.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JohnDenver

Get a clue everybody and start supporting your program from every angle....including your coach.

Get a clue and have the football players not read gomeangreen.com.

Welcome to the real world.

At my company, we don't have meetings at conferences where our CEO calls our customers fuckers when they are in earshot. At my company our CEO never sends an email out saying we shouldnt' read the trade magazines because they may not like our product. Our CEO doesn't tell us that we can only go the tradeshows where the potential customers will only be very nice to us and won't demand a better product.

Good lord.

I read so much bad stuff about the product I DIRECTLY designed that my ego COULD be in the dirt all the time. I COULD have chip on my shoulder and curse those customers that don't like my product.

Instead, I live my life, play my game and try to improve the product... If I get tired of it, I will quit this career path and do something else. Until then, it is all a part of it.

Welcome to the way the world works. 101.

Don't like this board? Go start your own. Don't read it. Only read the school sponsored news source ( meangreensports.com ).

This board has the most BITCHIN on it from any board I've ever been on in my entire life...My God people get a life!!!

I've been to practices, where we "the fans" are on the sidelines with in 10 ft of the huddle, even close to the team as the coach is addressing them before and after practice. We should be thankful for those things, any other "REAL" program would have the fans in the stands away from the team. Now, let me address "real"...I've seen several comments from time to time referring to we need to be a "Real D-1" football program...well after spending a few years around several programs, you could rest assure that something would change all of which people on this board would still find a reason to BITCH. One, we would not be allowed on the field---no questions asked, two, the coach would not address the fans after a practice, even if you served him a 20 oz steak...it just doesn't happen---unless you have a sizeable check in hand or would like to make a check our to the program. Three, fans at the programs are treated as fans, they are not catered to, they are treated like fans...if you want to be catered to then write a check. It is what it is...the true fact of the matter, there should not have been a fan within 50 yards of the team listening to the Coach address his team...regardless of what he said. As for the comments about the AD, they are as irrelevant as you opinion...RV has done nothing but positive things for NT as any AD in the past 30 years.

In closing, I'm sure that this will be thought of as a cheap shot at those who have posted before me, and if you feel that way then good....POINT WELL MADE!

Have a great day...and thanks for supporting the MEAN GREEN!

Get a clue and have the football players not read gomeangreen.com.

Welcome to the real world.

At my company, we don't have meetings at conferences where our CEO calls our customers fuckers when they are in earshot. At my company our CEO never sends an email out saying we shouldnt' read the trade magazines because they may not like our product. Our CEO doesn't tell us that we can only go the tradeshows where the potential customers will only be very nice to us and won't demand a better product.

Good lord.

I read so much bad stuff about the product I DIRECTLY designed that my ego COULD be in the dirt all the time. I COULD have chip on my shoulder and curse those customers that don't like my product.

Instead, I live my life, play my game and try to improve the product... If I get tired of it, I will quit this career path and do something else. Until then, it is all a part of it.

Welcome to the way the world works. 101.

Don't like this board? Go start your own. Don't read it. Only read the school sponsored news source ( meangreensports.com ).

I'm an Electronic engineer and I design electronic products for for the oil and gas industry and have to put up with the same stuff. I am also 43 years old and not a 19 year old. I can take bull shit with a grain of salt and let it go. Some of these youngsters are not that mature yet. I didn't say i didn't like the board. I think it's a great board. But there are a few who are sadistic on here (and I don't include you on that John).

This board has the most BITCHIN on it from any board I've ever been on in my entire life...My God people get a life!!!

Every Internet forum has its share of bitching. We are not the worst. We just came off a 2-9 season (very close to 0-11) with a coach that has never been overly popular with the fans. It's the off season. Spring ball is over. What else is there to do? blink.gif

You haven't been to very many 1-A boards then, or especially any that have a coach 20 games under .500.

You have a good point.....man did you see the LSU board at the first of the season laugh.gif and hell they had a great season

I been to plenty of boards over the past several years...those whos team are successfull and those that are not...but it just seems to me that its the same song, second verse when it come to DD and this program...

If you dont like him fine, if you think he's not htat great of a coach fine...I enjoy listening/reading others opinions, but its the same frickin thing day in and day out, season in and season out...the complaints on this board are the same complaints certain people had when we had success. I dont get it!!!

You haven't been to very many 1-A boards then, or especially any that have a coach 20 games under .500.

Very true. This board is no different than any big 1A school's board. In fact, it's LESS vicious, if that's possible, due to it's smaller size, and relatively lower # of nutjobs. tongue.gif

But, like the others, it's still populated mostly by people who don't really know what they're talking about--but think they do.

(includes self in that list) laugh.gif

It's obvious from the recent posts on the board that people see things from their own perspective. Mine is based on over 30 years of observing many different athletic directors and coaches at North Texas. Does that make it right? Of course not...but it does give some historical perspective to base my opinions on and that is all this board is...opinions. So, here are mine....

I don't know if Coach Dickey is a good on-the-field coach or not. I don't know if RV has met his own expectations or the school's, for that matter. This is what I do know. I really don't care whether or not I get to stand on the sidelines at Fouts Field or what the athletic administrators and coaches say about me (a fan) in private.

However, I do feel stongly about how the university I have supported for 30 years is represented by its employees---bad mouthing the fans on post-game football shows hurts the image of the university, turns off fans, and puts a negative image in the minds of potential recruits. If this is an attempt to bond the football team, is it worth it?

I also feel strongly that our fans should show some class because we too are evalutated by future fans and recruits. That does not mean there can't be criticism, but it needs to be expressed in a civil and appropriate manner by both sides. As I said in an earlier post, "perception is reality" and what people percieve about North Texas and the North Texas athletic program is their reality. What do new and future fans think when they listen to the post-game shows or listen to the fans in the stands or read messages on this board? Do they want to be a part of the program? That is what we want, isn't it...to grow our program?

As a fan, this is what is important to me....

1. That we run an honest program

2. That our athletic teams are motivated to perform to the best of their ability

3. That we graduate our athletes

4. That our program is viewed by the public (future recruits and fans) as a desireable one to be a part of

5. That we are making improvements and becoming more competitve at a higher level than we have been in the past

6. That if I am asked to continue my support of the athletic program (both physically and fiscally) that I be kept informed of progress and future plans

As fans, I think it is important to....

1. Continue to support our student athletes regardless of our feelings about the coaches

2. Continue involvment in the Mean Green Club and help it grow

3. Act like civilized people in the stands and before/after games when interacting with fans from opposing schools (no one yells louder than I do, but I don't believe cursing and trash talk project a positive image of our school or its fans); this goes for message on this board also

4. Try to bring in new fans

As a final note, does anyone have an accurate knowledge of Gene Stallings' recommendations for improvement of the athletic program that was given several years ago? It would be interesting to me to see how far we have come since then.

Let's keep it classy, Mean Green Nation!

As a final note, does anyone have an accurate knowledge of Gene Stallings' recommendations for improvement of the athletic program that was given several years ago?  It would be interesting to me to see how far we have come since then.

I was at that "State of the Union" type meeting in 2001 about NT Athletics hosted by Dr. Pohl. This was before we hired our next AD (RV) and during Trilli's demolishing of men's basketball. Dr. Pohl presented a very good, and eye-opening, power point presentation about where NT Athletics was in terms of donors, facilities, costs, and sports.

Gene Stallings gave sort of a pep talk about what needed to be done and took Q & A from the fans. He wasn't big on doing large things like new stadiums but wanted small things done like fencing the practice fields.

The communication with the fans was much needed at that time, and I think it's time for an update again.

article about the hiring of Stallings as consultant

Edited by NT80

It's obvious from the recent posts on the board that people see things from their own perspective.  Mine is based on over 30 years of observing many different athletic directors and coaches at North Texas.  Does that make it right?  Of course not...but it does give some historical perspective to base my opinions on and that is all this board is...opinions.  So, here are mine....

I don't know if Coach Dickey is a good on-the-field coach or not.  I don't know if RV has met his own expectations or the school's, for that matter.  This is what I do know.  I really don't care whether or not I get to stand on the sidelines at Fouts Field or what the athletic administrators and coaches say about me (a fan) in private. 

However, I do feel stongly about how the university I have supported for 30 years is represented by its employees---bad mouthing the fans on post-game football shows hurts the image of the university, turns off fans, and puts a negative image in the minds of potential recruits.  If this is an attempt to bond the football team, is it worth it?

I also feel strongly that our fans should show some class because we too are evalutated by future fans and recruits.  That does not mean there can't be criticism, but it needs to be expressed in a civil and appropriate manner by both sides.  As I said in an earlier post, "perception is reality" and what people percieve about North Texas and the North Texas athletic program is their reality.  What do new and future fans think when they listen to the post-game shows or listen to the fans in the stands or read messages on this board?  Do they want to be a part of the program?  That is what we want, isn't it...to grow our program?

As a fan, this is what is important to me....

1.  That we run an honest program

2.  That our athletic teams are motivated to perform to the best of their ability

3.  That we graduate our athletes

4.  That our program is viewed by the public (future recruits and fans) as a desireable one to be a part of

5.  That we are making improvements and becoming more competitve at a higher level than we have been in the past

6.  That if I am asked to continue my support of the athletic program (both physically and fiscally) that I be kept informed of progress and future plans

As fans, I think it is important to....

1.  Continue to support our student athletes regardless of our feelings about the coaches

2.  Continue involvment in the Mean Green Club and help it grow

3.  Act like civilized people in the stands and before/after games when interacting with fans from opposing schools (no one yells louder than I do, but I don't believe cursing and trash talk project a positive image of our school or its fans); this goes for message on this board also

4.  Try to bring in new fans

As a final note, does anyone have an accurate knowledge of Gene Stallings' recommendations for improvement of the athletic program that was given several years ago?  It would be interesting to me to see how far we have come since then.

Let's keep it classy, Mean Green Nation!

Great post! smile.gif

I think that there is a clear difference of perspective between the fans that have been supporting the program (through attendance and donations) for years, decades for many and those parents who've had children awarded scholarships by the current coach.

I'm not saying either is right or wrong, but there is a clear dividing line on whether the language or intent was appropriate.

Maybe this is what the Division From Within speech was about. Although I'm still curious as to it's intent, maybe it was a preemptive strike against the 'other side', whoever those people may be.

Take whichever side you may, but the fact is Dickey has not been able to help grow the fan base. And YES it is the Head coach’s job to help grow the fan base. How does a program win multiple conference championships in a roll and not greatly increase the number of fans at games? Bottom line, IMO, we can try and blame a bad stadium but there are 2 key things that are keeping this program down –

1) Sun Belt Conference – say what you want, outside those in the conference no basically cares about this conference. Why is it that OOC performance gets so much more respect?

2) DD – Give him credit for SBC championships, but DO NOT try and justify his teams OOC performances. Also, his personality is not conducive to motivating and building a fan base.

Take whichever side you may, but the fact is Dickey has not been able to help grow the fan base. And YES it is the Head coach’s job to help grow the fan base. How does a program win multiple conference championships in a roll and not greatly increase the number of fans at games?

Ok... which year's attendance numbers do you want to compare against the last two seasons?

Ok... which year's attendance numbers do you want to compare against the last two seasons?

As Monkeypox explained Mar 14 2006, 08:34 PM Post #44

We averaged:

2001 - 15,306

2002 - 15,260

2003 - 18,694

2004 - 15,184

2005 - 16,446

So the year where we had a huge spike was 2003, the year after we actually WON the bowl game. Maintaining the status quo should put us at about 20,000 average in attendance by 2022.

This is not success.

..........................................................................................

(sidenote: 2003 was also the year we hosted Baylor and 29,437 fans, thus the huge average increase in attendance just so you don't think the Bowl win was the only reason for the increase in 2003. Big name teams (think BYU?) also attract big crowds) dry.gif

Edited by NT80

Ok... doesn't quite answer my question.  Perhaps I should have been more specific.

Anyone have figures for attendance during other coaches' tenure?

Several factors could be included in past year's attendance averages: actual attendance vs. tickets sold counts, 1-A vs. 1-AA status, school enrollment doubled from 1979 (16K) to 2006 (32K), new conferences, new AD, new President, new coach, teams played at home, team record, etc...

From the NT media guide:

DD:

2005--16,446

2004--15,184

2003--18,694

2002--15,260

2001--14,769

2000--14,180

1999--13,752

1998--12,480

Matt Simon:

1997--19,704