UNT cannot exceed without great leadership

sammytheman

I have been watching this board's banter, when they hired your athletic director I understand he stated he was going to raise 95 million $$$ for the athletic dept. what does his report card look like? I know the football team has won four titles, but that has nothing to do with the athletic director does it, UNT cannot excel without great leadership at the top, and I simply cant see that the AD is living up to his platform.

What are your thoughts ... unsure.gif

I have been watching this board's banter, when they hired your athletic director I understand he stated he was going to raise 95 million $$$ for the athletic dept. what does his report card look like? I know the football team has won four titles, but that has nothing to do with the athletic director does it, UNT cannot excel without great leadership at the top, and I simply cant see that the AD is living up to his platform.

What are your thoughts ...  unsure.gif

You haven't been around the campus much lately have you? blink.gif

Lets see....we have added 12 tennis courts and a club house, we have purchased Liberty Christian School...its football field has been converted to a scoccer field for the ladies, the gym for womens volleyville, the softball field is being used now for a summer wooden bat league but a new baseball stadium will be built in the 10 acres north of the new AC in the next year.

The AC has been constructed and two practice fields being used this structure has locker rooms and will be one end of the new football stadium.

I think RV has done a good job considering the handicaps he works under.

Lets see....we have added 12 tennis courts and a club house, we have purchased Liberty Christian School...its  football field has been converted to a scoccer field for the ladies, the gym for womens volleyville, the softball field is being used now for a summer wooden bat league but a new baseball stadium will be built in the 10 acres north of the new AC in the next year.

The AC has been constructed and two practice fields being used this structure has locker rooms and will be one end of the new football stadium. 

I think RV has done a good job considering the handicaps he works under.

And all of this money came from B. Ray and his group as it was capital growth and title IX money used plus a 1 million donation from a long time UNT alum (Warrark??).

Yes $95m was the fund raising goal as I remember. RV was brought in partly because he was supposed to be a great fundraiser.

After this last football season, many are willing to throw almost everyone under the bus; DD, coaching staff, UNT angels, the chairman of the BOD, our biggest contributors, radio team, Chancellor, security team, other fans, etc. But few seem to want to hold RV accountable for the current state of the NT athletic program. The very person who should be responsible for both the good, bad and ugly of the program. While many generally laud RV's performance, he has not been without issues such as these:

Security company problems, who hired them and gave them directions.

Questionable approach to obtaining additional student fees for athletic use

Limited NT options by giving Long term contracts to coaches

Belt Basketball tournament at Denton fiasco

Failure to gain any significant fan support for the basketball programs

Allows a coach to continuously make comments critical and detrimental to NT athletic program

Applies for other Belt jobs

Fund raising far below objectives

Commitment to effectively communicate with fan base not fulfilled

Some are going to say most of the above deals with things that are not under RV's control, and they maybe right. However, if you give RV credit for Eagle Point and the substantial improvement in NT's facilities, enhancing the Fouts experience, etc. doesn't it follow that he should also be criticized for other functions that should be AD responsibilities.

---The program has improved greatly when you look at the past 5 years compared with the previous five. It is not still what I what like to see but it is better than it was during our "dark ages" ( I-AA). Our over-all talent this year sure did not meet expectations or our hopes. I am less critical than most here but I think SOME coaching changes need to be made and I don't understand why we are so bad at making making adjustments during a game to fit the situation. I know we a need a money game but let us try to schedule something we actually have a prayer of winning...... LSU finished at #3 and we open against what could the National Champion, Texas, next year.

--Things have really changed but when I went to UNT (NTSU) during the 60's the basketball games were well attended plus they were wild and crazy... We were in the best over-all basketball conf in the NCAA, the MVC. We always had more rated teams than any other conf. then. That is tough to believe now but it was true.

This is getting rediculas.

Just becuase the actuall dollar amounts cant be tracked back to RV doesnt mean anything.

Without his drive to get the Mean Green Villiage started, ie.. taking back the golf course for the land, getting the AC done, and the Liberty Christian complex bought do yo think DD and would have gone out to get 1 mil from Mac? Or if B Ray would have dontated the money for the tennis complex?

Like you are saying this all starts from the top and at the top we have the best AD this University has seen since the days of Hayden Fry and im not so sure that RV isnt the best weve had EVER!!!!

The man has come in and changed our image from UNT to NORTH TEXAS! despite resistance from the chanclor and some of the student body. How has that helped things?

If any body wants to come out and blame RV for anything that has happend this past year for the football team then you also have to give him the credit for the womans soccer team winning their second title and advancing to the NCAA tournament.

So far I havent even mentiond the fact that RV has made it a personal goal to get this University a new football stadium. Was this ever even a possibility until he stepped foot on this campus?

RV is not to blame and if you do then you are just looking for a witch hunt.

This is getting crazy. Fire everybody! Blame, blame, blame! Fire the diet coke guy! Bobby Ray is trying to take over the world!

RV is doing a very good job. Just the fact that so many people give a crap about NT athletics now is testament to the job he has done.

Has anyone on this board ever raised a 95 million dollars? I know I haven't and it seems like a pretty daunting task. Would you rather that he set low expectations for himself?

You can't track profits for GE back to Jack Welch, but I would still say that he is doing a pretty damn good job.

Y'all can blame all you want, but you probably wouldn't even be posting on this board if RV wasn't here.

Blame, blame, blame! Fire the diet coke guy!

NO! NO! NO! not the "Diet Coke Boy" anyone but the "Diet Coke Boy"!!! What are you thinking!!!!

He is the Key!

What in the heck did the "Diet Coke Boy" ever do to you?

We need to petition to SAVE the "Diet Coke Boy"!!!!

Diet Coke!

DIET Coke!

DIET COKE!

Diet Coke!

DIET COKE!

I think if nothing else many of you are proving my point. First, I didn't say that RV was not a good AD. I pointed out things that over a five year period that could have been handled better imo. Then as I stated in my comments, many give RV most of the credit for the improvements that have been made on his watch, but tend to blame others for the failures or setbacks. IMO, you can't have it both ways.

I think if nothing else many of you are proving my point.  First, I didn't say that RV was not a good AD.  I pointed out  things that over a five year period that could have been handled better imo.  Then as I stated in my comments, many give RV most of the credit for the improvements that have been made on his watch, but tend to blame others for the failures or setbacks.  IMO, you can't have it both ways.

I'm confused, did you forget to log into your alter ego?

I'm in agreement that RV criticism is unfounded and very short-sighted (blame anyone ! blame everyone!). My only question for RV would be: When is Air Force gonna come here ? If it's being saved for a stadium debut, well OK, but otherwise they need to come on with it. We don't need to be doing unreturned games with non-BCS teams. Other than that, with the exception of a sub-par 2005 football season, we're on the right path, which I believe takes longer than 3-4 years to achieve.