The Gift the Keeps on Giving!

FirefightnRick

I can't get over the final step we took today in defining how pitiful our concentration on discipline is. That was the personal foul called bringing back Quinn's punt return TD costing us 7 points.

After Quinn is 50 yards upfield, Brandon Jackson? and someone else has an ASU player on his back. The ASU kid was chicken fighting, and and our guys were too. But then in steps a referee. Both NT players are laying on top of the ASU guy and the ref is standing between both NT players legs, yelling at them. The ref then bends over closer to the backs of the two NT players, grabs them by the back of their jersey and starts yanking on both of them and also yelling. At that point I see one of our guys, not sure which, just keep popping the guy with his arms, elbows and fists. For the love of God, is it not obvious at this point the play has gone completely by and there's a ref yanking on your jersey? About the time Johnny is crossing the 10 yard line the ref drops his flag. I nearly pulled every strand of hair out.

Then, to make it worse, both players finally get off the guy and comes jogging over to the sidelines (about the time everyone else is celebrating Quinn's TD)in which one unnamed coach starts to pat them on the back of their helmets as if to be congratulating them? WHAT IN HELL? Zero discipline!

This game was sickening to watch overall. ULL, MTSU and ULM looked much better than ASU today. If we have one ounce of our past 4 defenses this game today would have been a blowout. The final 3 quarters was played with ONE senior on the field on defense. Our secondary consisted of 2 freshmen a, sophomore and a senior in Branch. After visiting with the team in person, I'm guessing our D line can't average more than 230 lbs? Give us one D lineman with some strength to push upfront and draw a double team and we will be a factor in conference again. I hope we never see another season with such a depleted defense again.

By the way, La Tech got smoked by Boise St and finished 4th in the WAC today, if that tells you how far we have fallen this year?

Rick

Anyone see during the 3rd quarter maybe, when Meager threw an interception and made the tackle near the ASU bench. When he got up an ASU was in his face giving him crap about it, so Meager pushed him away and the player threw himself to the ground. laugh.gif Refs had their backed turned and I'm not sure if Meager in a fit of anger really knocked the guy down, or the guy was a good actor. Bad loss of temper, yes, but it sure was funny as hell.

I can't get over the final step we took today in defining how pitiful our concentration on discipline is. That was the personal foul called bringing back Quinn's punt return TD costing us 7 points.

After Quinn is 50 yards upfield, Brandon Jackson? and someone else has an ASU player on his back. The ASU kid was chicken fighting, and and our guys were too. But then in steps a referee. Both NT players are laying on top of the ASU guy and the ref is standing between both NT players legs, yelling at them. The ref then bends over closer to the backs of the two NT players, grabs them by the back of their jersey and starts yanking on both of them and also yelling. At that point I see one of our guys, not sure which, just keep popping the guy with his arms, elbows and fists. For the love of God, is it not obvious at this point the play has gone completely by and there's a ref yanking on your jersey? About the time Johnny is crossing the 10 yard line the ref drops his flag. I nearly pulled every strand of hair out.

Then, to make it worse, both players finally get off the guy and comes jogging over to the sidelines (about the time everyone else is celebrating Quinn's TD)in which one unnamed coach starts to pat them on the back of their helmets as if to be congratulating them? WHAT IN HELL? Zero discipline!

This game was sickening to watch overall. ULL, MTSU and ULM looked much better than ASU today. If we have one ounce of our past 4 defenses this game today would have been a blowout. The final 3 quarters was played with ONE senior on the field on defense. Our secondary consisted of 2 freshmen a, sophomore and a senior in Branch. After visiting with the team in person, I'm guessing our D line can't average more than 230 lbs? Give us one D lineman with some strength to push upfront and draw a double team and we will be a factor in conference again. I hope we never see another season with such a depleted defense again.

By the way, La Tech got smoked by Boise St and finished 4th in the WAC today, if that tells you how far we have fallen this year?

Rick

I saw the wole thing too. I too thought it was Jackson. I have never been so pissed at a North Texas player. I have never been so pissed at a coaching staff for the total lack of discipline all season long. I have had it with this staff. I would like to point out we would be 0-11 if not for the 13 turnovers in our two "wins".

All I'm going to say is that if you're going to ask the coaches to discipline players during games, you had better be prepared for having worse players on the field.  That's the tradeoff.

Worse players? You mean players that play worse? Or do you mean players that make worse decisions and get us more penalties?

If disciplining a player this year means we are forced to play WORSE players, then God help us next year. Because if Dickey is NOT going to demand that players be more disciplined on the field, then he's certainly not going to require (expect ?) them to work in the off season to make themselves better players. dry.gif

Worse players? You mean players that play worse? Or do you mean players that make worse decisions and get us more penalties?

If disciplining a player this year means we are forced to play WORSE players, then God help us next year. Because if Dickey is NOT going to demand that players be more disciplined on the field, then he's certainly not going to require (expect ?) them to work in the off season to make themselves better players. dry.gif

or stay elgible

Add that to the other back to back unsportsmanlike conduct and several delay of game penalties. These are first game penalties not the eleventh. These are due to a lack of sound coaching.

Of course the tone of the game was set in the first quarter when we drove down the field with wind at our back and from near the 10 kicked a field goal rather than go for the first down nor TD. This showed a total lack of confidence in the offense.

These points on this thread is why changes need to be made.  For gosh sakes Coach Dickey actually got an unsportsmanlike in this game.  Did anybody see Dickey's dad standing in the corner of the endzone with RV for two quarters? I bet that was some great conversation.

Change occurs from the top down and currently the person at the top, as far as I am aware, hasn't been convinced of the need for a change. . . . ph34r.gif

Hey, you can demand all you want, but the reality here is that taking a starter off the field for "disciplinary" reasons is, logically, going to result in a less talented person on the field. If he was more talented, he'd be starting, right?

Hey, you can demand all you want, but the reality here is that taking a starter off the field for "disciplinary" reasons is, logically, going to result in a less talented person on the field.  If he was more talented, he'd be starting, right?

Yeah, but if they knew they would be pulled out and have to sit for a while maybe they would think a little more.

Hey, you can demand all you want, but the reality here is that taking a starter off the field for "disciplinary" reasons is, logically, going to result in a less talented person on the field.  If he was more talented, he'd be starting, right?

Nice to see you have a win at all costs attitude dry.gif . How can you say the back-up is not as good as the starter? Seems to me DD kept throwing a certain player on the field as a starter when it became clear at the end of the year the back up was a better player, plus many of the back-ups are young and hopefully hungry to make an impression on the coaches.

How can you say the back-up is not as good as the starter? Seems to me DD kept throwing a certain player on the field as a starter when it became clear at the end of the year the back up was a better player, plus many of the back-ups are young and hopefully hungry to make an impression on the coaches.

First of all, I do not agree with "win at any price."

That said, did you really mean what you are saying: that DD should have purposely thrown the game by playing inferior players in order to give them experience? I don't think you really mean he should play backups!

Is the player who is "clearly better than the starter" the same guy who threw an interception on his first play, then hung on to the ball too long on two consecutive plays to be sacked?

Again, both of our quarterbacks lack experience. There is a reason teams try to play senior quarterbacks who didn't start the year before rather than starting a freshman and giving him experience. For a quarterback, experience is not just starting a game. It's watching defenses and learning over a period of years.

If he was more talented, he'd be starting, right?

Well, DD started Galbreath over Cobbs during the 2002 season. I could tell from watching him during his freshman season that Cobbs was clearly a more talented RB than Galbreath.....yet Galbreath started ahead of him.

So, "sometimes" the best players are not out on the field.

Cool. Care to say why?

BJ is a talented player no doubt, if it was indeed BJ. I gotta say having him out there on that play probably cost us 7 points on a spectacular punt return. Being consistent in discipline 365 days a year cuts down on foolish uneccesary penalties. If you consistently allow it, things don't change much. The challenge is to demonstrate there is a price to pay, so when the most talented players are on the field they don't make those mistakes. The ideal result is to have the best players on the field without lacking discipline. Sometimes you just have to punish the players that punish the team. I think the end result is better.

BJ is a talented player no doubt, if it was indeed BJ. I gotta say having him out there on that play probably cost us 7 points on a spectacular punt return. Being consistent in discipline 365 days a year cuts down on foolish uneccesary penalties. If you consistently allow it, things don't change much. The challenge is to demonstrate there is a price to pay, so when the most talented players are on the field they don't make those mistakes. The ideal result is to have the best players on the field without lacking discipline. Sometimes you just have to punish the players that punish the team. I think the end result is better.

Check out the article in the DRC or DMn today and DD says there will be changes, intresting read and so what embarassing that he admits players and/or coahces are not making meetings on time getting the job done in classroom and in the off-season

I will be skeptical until I see changes, but hopefully there is some pressure from above.

Is the player who is "clearly better than the starter" the same guy who threw an interception on his first play, then hung on to the ball too long on two consecutive plays to be sacked?

As opposed to DM averaging 5 delay of game penalties every weekend, the inability to put the ball into the endzone all season, he had plenty of sacks and INT's himself. As for the INT sounds like miscommunication Receiver broke long and QB went shorter.

The ULL and FAU games are prime examples, yet DD did not offer him a chance to start. Take off Phillips 30+ points from those 2 games and we did not even average 10 pts a games with Quinn and the 2 Rushing Champs on offense.