Coaches Show & Chat

UNTFan23

Personally I thought it was great. We are total Coach Dickey fans and I think he answered honestly and positive about the team. Jabs at the fans - if you are one of the negative fans that only wants to attend games when we are winning, that leaves during the 3rd quarter, that sits in the stands as if in a church service then if the shoe fits well.....

We know these guys and know how hard they work. And as a final note the player guest - he was awesome. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

I don't think the shots at the fans is warranted. After we laid an egg against Tulsa (in front of 23,000), we had still 17,000 come back, on a Tuesday night with a 6.30 kickoff. With that said, after 2 games, we have an average of 20,000.

The defense is doing great, but with an anemic offense, the D spending way too much time on the field. What is so frustrating is seeing us do the same thing on every set of downs. Every defense has figured out how to stop our running game, and until the coaching staff decides to change things up, we're gonna keep running into a brick wall. It's great the players are playing hard, but let's not make their efforts for naught.

Part of the reason we our so "green" is that the coaching staff doesn't put in our younger players to develop them and give them game some time experience. I don't think we've given our 2nd or 3rd team players much play time this year 'cause we've been behind the 8-ball the entire season.

I can't imagine why Coach Dickey might want to take a few shots... it isn't like we have guys who are calling for his job because he didn't win by enough points or anything.

Honestly, some of you guys sure can't take what you dish out.

That we won a game on the road while only putting up 13 points off 8 turnovers is a marvel in itself. From as best I can tell, we just don't have a very good team. We have talent, sure enough, but simply throwing a lot of talent together does not a good team make: refer to the New York Yankees, Washington Redskins, or New York Rangers for proof of this.

Hey, expect wins all you want, but this team is rebuilding. If you expect the team we have right now to compete against LSU, K-State, and Tulsa, you are mistaken. If you believe we should beat all our Sun Belt foes by at least three touchdowns simply because we have in the past, you are going to be disappointed.

Different year, different team, different results. Not liking that or not wanting to accept it does not make that any less true.

Guys, I want to win games as badly as the next guy. I was disgusted during the Tulsa game and the Troy game. It hurt really really bad. But I have some perspective. This season is only half over, and a lot of good can still come. Shoot, if we win out, the worst we can do is tie for the championship. I am interested to see how the season plays out.

Hell... what happens when Meager breaks out next week? Or if Phillips gets a shot and lights it up? What if Patrick and J-Mo break a game wide open for hundreds of rushing yards? What if the offensive line has another one of those meetings and comes together with a vengeance? All of that can still happen: that's the beauty of college football.

This year, every win is a blessing, not a given. It might do some of you folks well to recognize that.

Edited by illuvius32

QUOTE OF THE DAY!!! POST OF A LIFETIME...

Greatness...all you pissers and moaners, well the Coach pissed and moaned too. kinda of sucks when he calls people out.

I agree with illuvius, what ifs...what if they happen, hell what if they dont. I am as frustrated as the next guy, but I refuse to trash the people who built the foundation of our success. we're 2-3, this win had to have built some confidence, I expect us to compete next week, we may lose, we may win, all our team can do is line up and play, and all I know is we have a huge oppt to take our 5th title in 5 years, and go back to the NO Bowl.

GO MEAN GREEN!

Here we go again. First off, the repeated shots at the fans is NOT warranted. The people who are on this board, are some of the most die hard fans there are, win or lose. And as for the ones that arent on this board, well, we still did have 17K show up at the Troy game, as already mentioned.

Many are calling for his job because of the repeated ass whoopings by OOC teams that are equal, not superior, to NT. When we play a bsc team, its like we are NEVER even close to being competitive. The game plans are always too conservative, and never change. We go to the NOB with ZERO OOC wins, and were not really competitive in any of them. We have been competitive in 1 of the 4 bowls. And, because of shots like that one he took earlier. He has been taking them at us for 8 years now. It has to stop. Instead of trying to bring us together, he is trying to create a divide between the players and the fans. Call, it the classic barry bonds "me vs the rest of you" syndrome.

And most of us dont want him necessarily fired, we want him to make some key changes. But he has not made them in 8 years, and we don't see him making them. In fact, it seems that he doesnt even give a rat's ass that he has a LOSING record, even though we won 4 straight SBC titles. We want to see changes and improvements in the program, and if dd cant do it, we need to find someone that will.

I know that this post and this repeated argument offends many, so let me apologize for wanting to raise the bar of NT athletics.

Greensteve, please try to be levelheaded, most, if not all of us on here have not BASHED anyone, well, except for flanigan. We recognize what dd has done, and we want to see NT move up to the next level. We don't want to see schools like UCF, UTEP, and Boise pass us. I know you are not the only one who has complained about dd bashing. everyone needs to understand that dd's accomplishments are recognized.

Its very clear what we want now...we want a softer gentler Coach that embraces the fans, touts their glory and thanks them for coming to each came while this Coach quitely sits around and gets his ASS handed to him by alums and the media on why he cant compete with the likes of larger atheletic programs, who over the past 25-50 years actually invested time and money into a Football Program while our beloved school couldn't makes it mind up which frickin conference we want to play in much less which division we want to play in...and since we have tasted success over the past 4-5 years we want eveything yesterday, we want to take a quantom (sp?) leap forward and be able to show our players and recruits and coaches that we want you to be successfull just on a shoe string budget...

It takes time to build things, we all want everything right now....sometime its the struggles that get us to where we want to be that are teh most rewarding!!!

I love the fact that there are people on this site with different opinions, do not take the personal...we all have one thing in common--MEAN GREEN FOOTBALL!!!

Yes, we should all want a coach who thanks and appreciates the fans. He has to understand that we have a right to complain when things arent going well, and to ask why they arent. Many have invested alot of money for season tickets. And you students are putting money into athletics via student fees. We all have the right to want to raise the bar, because its OUR INVESTMENT! We don't expect to beat those big schools all the time. But it is a problem when many want to bet on how bad the score will be. We get tired of the conservative game plan. We want to see a gameplan where the fans can go into the game saying, "You know what, today might be our day." Last year against CU was the perfect example. I thought he had a great gameplan. We were matching the Buffs TD for TD, until an unfortunate fumble on the Buffs 7 midway through the 2nd quarter. Then CU's depth started to make a difference. But it was such a great feeling to have for 2 quarters that dude, we could actually win this.

I and many others understand that it takes time to build things. Its been 8 (EIGHT) YEARS. Aside from the years that Deloached coached the D, its been one arse whooping after another in OOC play. And now, it looks like dd's coaching and gameplan is catching up to him. WE just barely beat a 4th year fb program that gave us 8 turnovers. Thats not progress.

DD should be happy we are complaining... the fans expect A LOT more than mediocore play.  4 years ago we would be content with how we are playing... now we EXPECT to win.

Ya, what he said!

We do expect to beat the Tulsa's, La Tech's, and SMuu's of the college football world and do not expect to struggle against a 4 year old FIU program. The bar has been raised, we're NOT lowering it back down! mad.gif

I can't imagine why Coach Dickey might want to take a few shots... it isn't like we have guys who are calling for his job because he didn't win by enough points or anything.

That we won a game on the road while only putting up 13 points off 8 turnovers is a marvel in itself.  From as best I can tell, we just don't have a very good team.  We have talent, sure enough, but simply throwing a lot of talent together does not a good team make: refer to the New York Yankees, Washington Redskins, or New York Rangers for proof of this.

Hey, expect wins all you want, but this team is rebuilding.  If you expect the team we have right now to compete against LSU, K-State, and Tulsa, you are mistaken.  If you believe we should beat all our Sun Belt foes by at least three touchdowns simply because we have in the past, you are going to be disappointed.

Different year, different team, different results.  Not liking that or not wanting to accept it does not make that any less true.

Guys, I want to win games as badly as the next guy.  I was disgusted during the Tulsa game and the Troy game.  It hurt really really bad.  But I have some perspective.  This season is only half over, and a lot of good can still come.  Shoot, if we win out, the worst we can do is tie for the championship.  I am interested to see how the season plays out.

Hell... what happens when Meager breaks out next week?  Or if Phillips gets a shot and lights it up?  What if Patrick and J-Mo break a game wide open for hundreds of rushing yards?  What if the offensive line has another one of those meetings and comes together with a vengeance?  All of that can still happen: that's the beauty of college football. 

This year, every win is a blessing, not a given.  It might do some of you folks well to recognize that.

I'm confused.

We ONLY put up 13 points after 8 turnovers against a team that has yet to win a D-1 game and has only been around for four years and you call the win a MARVEL? That would seem to imply that (talent wise) we are a pretty crappy team.

You then comment that we have a talented group of players that have yet to gel. When you're five games into the season, and you've yet to gel (with the aforementioned talented group of players), then (IMHO) that has to do with coaching.

So which is it? Are we (talent wise) a crappy team because we can't beat a FIU by anymore than 3 points with 8 TURNOVERS......or is it coaching.

IMHO the fans are starting to do their part. So far this year we are averaging bigger crowds for much lower profile games (Tulsa and Troy). But the winning pattern that was basically established by this coaching staff is still pretty much the same.

As I said in another thread, I'm very glad that our ULM game was moved to Nov. 19th. Because right now, we wouldn't stand a chance against them.

My problem is DD has been taking shots for years.