What the heck happened?

Last year JT just ran all over the opposing defenses through holes in our line that the O line created.....but this year it is just not there. Where is all of the talent that we are supposedly recruiting to fill the holes left by those seniors last year?

Why does DD not find or see that all of these stupid penalties really do affect the overall game flow? It is just amazing to me that game after game, after game we make the same stupid penalties.

Why does DD not find or see that all of these stupid penalties really do affect the overall game flow?  It is just amazing to me that game after game, after game we make the same stupid penalties.

I've followed NT football since the mid-70's and making lots of stupid penalties seems to be our most consistent trait! Hayden Fry had it reduced, but there seemed to be one or two every game. I think the stupid penalties peaked under Simon, but they were plentiful with Nelson and Parker as well.

It looks like a simple lack of discipline, but for some reason it never really gets better.

The OL talent is there. It just has about 8 or 9 people to fight off.

I have an idea lets run it up the middle 85% of the time into a stacked box.

That seemed to work really well all year, lets do it again this game they will never see it coming.

It was worse when our defense looked like they had never seen anyone run the ball up the middle. . . .

I definitely think it is time to put Dickey's neck on the line along with half the coaching staff. This is just horrible play. I am completely off any Dickey band wagon and I feel it is time to start interviewing new coaches.

Edited by KingDL1

Last year JT just ran all over the opposing defenses through holes in our line that the O line created.....but this year it is just not there. 

I think there's more to it than simply the O-line. Don't get me wrong, I think the O-line needs significant improvement, but I also think our RBs aren't getting enough carries to find their rhythm. Last year it was not at all uncommon for JT to have 12 carries for something like 40 yards before he would break one off for 70+. JT sort of feels out the opposing defenses for their weaknesses, particularly in the speed category, and then hits a hole and he's gone.

PC is the same way, except he prefers to wear defenses down like a battering ram by pounding the ball down their throats until defenses get tired and start missing more tackles.

I know no one will like what I'm suggesting, but our two back, change-of-pace backfield isn't working and I think we'd be better off picking one and letting them take 90-95% of the plays.

Having back-to-back NCAA rushing champions was probably one of the worst things that could have happened to this team and coaching staff.

Keith

Ummm.. i am not quite sure what you mean by this statement. doesn't make any sense what so ever.

About the ncaa rushing championship thing... kinda makes you wonder about our running back talent with such a crap year as this one is obviously turning out to be.