Does anyone else remember this ?

calvin

I have been trying to think back at other OOC conference games in the Dickey Era. (Actually the Dickey era is the only era I know.) I was thinking of scores and how we did offensively. One game that sticks out in my mind is the OU game when Scott Hall was a sophmore. It was coming off the 19-5 loss to TCU in which our offense was comatose and OU was coming off their National Title. Does anyone else remember this, the first play of the game we have a trips set and Jamel is the inside reciever well we throw a quick screen to him and the next thing he is running down the sideline for about 60 yards. We ended up getting a field goal out of that. Also I remember that OU had the line stacked and were manned up outside and late in the 2nd quarter when the game was 14-3 Hall dropped back and hit George Marshall on a deep post and he scored to make the game 14-10 and I believe that was the score at halftime. We lost 37-10 but I want to say we had like 330 yards of offense. We had a young team then, ( sophmore Qb, freshman and juco RB, freshman and soph. Wr's not sure about the line.)

My point is we were young then and playing the champs and we came out aggressive, where is that same aggression. How many quick screens have we thrown to our receivers ? How many times have we done a straight drop back and hit Quinn on a post or hitch route at that. We certainly havent had 300 yards of offense. GMG

Guest JohnDenver

I thought we only scored a field goal against OU and that was late in the game.  I really don't recall the game unfolding the way you described it.  Or am I thinking of another game.  Perhaps I am.  The game I'm thinking of Hall and Smith rotated out.

I think he may be merging the past two OU games together?

I thought we only scored a field goal against OU and that was late in the game.  I really don't recall the game unfolding the way you described it.  Or am I thinking of another game.  Perhaps I am.  The game I'm thinking of Hall and Smith rotated out.

In 2001 we lost to OU 37-10

In 2003 we lost to OU 37-3

I can remember that game.  I couldn't believe that my school was putting up that kind of a fight.  I really had in my mind that we were perennial losers till that season.

What has happened since? Would that team have ever stood for embarrassments like the last two weeks not to mention UT,FAU, CU & BU last year. PRIDE is definitely lacking along with motivation and it hasn't always been this way.

I remember that play. I had just finished running the flag in front of the team. We are folding it up, and I hear everyone cheering, I look up and see an NT player hauling butt down the sideline.

IN aswer to the question, what has happened. I think its being drilled into the psyche of the team that its ok to lose OOC, just not SBC games. Which helps to explain the NOB games.

I was at that game. Jamel took a screen something like 31 yards on the first play (I'm pretty sure it wasn't 60, but it sure seemed like a miracle).

We got that first field goal and I turned up to the sea of OU above us (Green Brigade) and screamed "WE HAVE A LEAD! WE HAD A LEAD ON OU!!!!"

You know what also blew me away in that game? Hall was playing roadrunner to OU's coyote all night and made some amazingly evasive moves when the pocket broke down on several occasions. He blew me away. I knew we had something special in him.

Moving right along, I'm going to suport Meager AND Phillips in this learning process; I hope this offense, especially the O-line, rights their ship and give us something to look forward to.

-gm

In 1929 it was Decatur Baptist (a jr. college). It moved to Dallas around 1963 and became a four year school.

Decatur Baptist quit playing football in the early 50's.

I was at that Drake game when Coach Fry's players were actually dunking the ball over the goal posts after each TD. They were of course penalized on the ensuing kick off, but Iseed Khoury would still kick it in the end zone so the penalties had no effect. The " crowd" loved it. We won't see a game like that again in Fouts in my lifetime unless we were to schedule a D-3, and I can't see us dominating a game like that even if we scheduled Sul Ross. laugh.gif

Edited by DallasGreen