No one here listened to the Coaches show?

FirefightnRick

Said that from the looks of the crowd tonight that some of our fans have already tucked their tails and run.

Said that our team is still young and learning but that the coaches saw some things on film that they can correct.

Said we have to do better in the passing game if we are to have a chance to establish the run.

Said Danny Meager is still the starting QB but will get Phillips more reps.

I can't remember the questioned asked through an email, but it prompted DD to address the fans and how he knows we are dissapointed right now. That he does read the message boards and emails, just not as much as he would like due to time. But mentioned how great of a core fanbase we have, then mentioned those here on GoMeanGreen.com and that folks from here had a flag football game to raise money for Andrew Smith. He mentioned how much fun he had laughing at the guy(Stebo) pretending to be him coaching on the sidelines. He said he fully understands us being upset and critical. Said even to those being critical he apprreciates it because at least those are the people who care and expect to see improvement. Those are the people who are "in this fight along with us".

Someone may have something else to add as I'm sure I'm leaving something out.

Rick

I'm glad he understands this. People who are talking about NT are generally diehards. There are the occassional people who just want to complain just to complain. However, most of the people on this board really do care.

It's not always expressed in the best ways, but to read the frustration as well as the support shows that people want to see the best from this team/program. There are ALWAYS going to be disagreements about how to succeed. Most important though, stay passionate. There is nothing worse to a program than apathy.

Guest Aquila_Viridis

With a reputation of success at the next level, Coach Dickey could recruit players that would ensure success at that level. Of course, the question is how do you get those players without that reputation? I think the answer is, in today's game, you don't. Thus rather than try to build a program and a reputation at the same time, I think it is imperative to bring someone in as soon as possible (like end of 2006 season) who already has that reputation. The program could start to take off after that. Otherwise, we'll still just be here in 2007 pulling what's left of our hair out with no end in sight.

We've got to get out of the box.

GMG Flag Football Bowls are held each Spring. We have had three now - two of them being organized through this website. They are a blast and this is the first year that we have raised money for charity through the game. Coach Dickey showed up to this last game and shot the crap with all of us - gave out some North Texas gear, and took some pictures with us. Coach Dickey seems to have a new outlook towards the fans this year and I for one have been appreciating it. That is why I have not joined in on the Dickey assault; and as long as he continues to put the blame where it really lies (and not on the fans) - then I will support him.

Everyone's been down on a head football coach all the way from Pop Warner to our Friday Night Lights heros of (I say this with almost religious reverence) "Texas High School Football" but eveyone who is normal in our society goes thru tough times. How does the saying go? "Tough times don't last but tough people do?"

Lets jump on the DD bandwagon no matter what has been said or thought at one time or another from all of us on this board. Getting an ulcer may be the only alternative for some. sad.gif

My ultimate Mean Green dream is that when we open up our new football stadium over at Eagle Point Campus is that we debut that modern monstrosity of a facility against the Kansas State Wildcats with Darrell Dickey as the NT head football coach and we pulverize those purple & white-clad sumbichs! laugh.gif

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I think all of us who played in last springs GMG.com bowl agree that DD does care about the fans and knows it's not always easy to continually support the program. I'm not saying that this message board has unintelligent opinions but should DD be concerned about spending time on this site trying to see what we think? I think the answer is yes and no. Yes, he should be concerned about the pulse of the dedicated fan. I just hope he isnt straying from a master plan that could ultimately benefit us just to appease a few of us who get impatient. I think he knows how to find a healthy middle ground. I hope this post made sense.

I think all of us who played in last springs GMG.com bowl agree that DD does care about the fans and knows it's not always easy to continually support the program.  I'm not saying that this message board has unintelligent opinions but should DD be concerned about spending time on this site trying to see what we think? I think the answer is yes and no.  Yes, he should be concerned about the pulse of the dedicated fan. I just hope he isnt straying from a master plan that could ultimately benefit us just to appease a few of us who get impatient.  I think he knows how to find a healthy middle ground. I hope this post made sense.

Agreed! Good post!

Said that from the looks of the crowd tonight that some of our fans have already tucked their tails and run.

Last night was one of the few coaches shows that I have missed since Coach Dickey has been at North Texas. My absence wasn't in any kind of protest to recent events, it's just not sensible to attend the shows any more.

The show's time has been moved from 7:00 to 6:30, and the location has been changed to Hooters where there is insufficient seating for this event. It's past 6:30 before I can even get to Hooters, and the show cannot be heard from the closest tables that are available by that time (usually the very back tables in the restaurant).

I think all of us who played in last springs GMG.com bowl agree that DD does care I just hope he isnt straying from a master plan that could ultimately benefit us just to appease a few of us who get impatient. 

I seriously doubt that you have to worry about that. I can just hear DD and RF discussing the game plan, "Well stebo over at gmg thinks we should throw the ball on 2nd and short and the majority think a reverse from our own goal line would pick up a minimum of 20 yards..." or "the gmg QB poll says we should start Jonathan Ieans, so let's give the kid a shot."

I seriously doubt that you have to worry about that.  I can just hear DD and RF discussing the game plan, "Well stebo over at gmg thinks we should throw the ball on 2nd and short and the majority think a reverse from our own goal line would pick up a minimum of 20 yards..." or "the gmg QB poll says we should start Jonathan Ieans, so let's give the kid a shot."

One thing that I am very sure of is that Coach Dickey could care less about what plays I want to see in a game, lol. I have grown to like our power football structure, right now it is sputtering - just like it did before Scott Hall came along... but I feel that we are one LEADER away from coming back to consistency. Find a QB who is consistent and who is a leader on and OFF the field and we will find our Mean Green. I am sure that this is what is lacking this year. I wish that Scott would have stayed at NT as a grad assistant; but alas Scott would have to be going for a PhD (I believe he already got his Masters) and he is already in the workforce now... FYI, Scott is actually in New Orleans working right now to rebuild the city that has given us so many wonderful memories. Talk about Kharma!

Edited by stebo

I too am glad that DD is not bashing the fans. My complaints have always been:

* The "I coach at poor ol' North Texas" attitude.

* The past fan bashing.

* The lack of imagination in the game plan and the lack of in-game adjustments.

* The lack of discipline shown by some on the team from the classroom to the courtroom.

* The inability to connect with the fan base and excite the masses about the program.

* The apparent lack of appreciation towards the fans. For example, the last scrimmage of the fall was advertised as a meet the players function, and they ran off the field once the practice concluded.

* Not taking the time to meet the prospective donors the GGII brought out.

The last two could be a lack of communication within the department.

I just look at people like Urban Meyer that connects with the student body, exudes excitement, visits with the alumni groups, etc... and wonder why DD never does this.

I also can't figure out how having a HC and OC that were former collegiate QB's could result in such an unimaginative gameplan and lack of in-game adjustments.