Master Plan Recommendations

NTEagle08

The basic gest of what I was getting at is that maybe a way to raise some needed money is to do this instead of looking for that one big donor.  I personally know about 20  to 30 people that would donate $1000.  Plus you will have some small to midsize companies that would most likely donate a larger amount.  Then with this tally you go to the big donor.

Also it would most likely take 2 to 3 years to build the stadium so that $1000 pledge would only cost you $500 dollars or less a year.

Matt, Id be one of those who'd donate $1000 for a PSL at a new stadium, especially if would go toward the "club level" admission during the games

A few notes:

*The stadium was estimated to cost $35 million or more.

*The tennis stadium was quoted as having 12 courts with one of these the center, stadium court. I thought that they were currently building 12 courts with the center court to come later.

*I noticed a proposed Opera House to be located in the current Fouts parking lot. This is shown on page 70. Anyway, this could be a good sign, the music/arts lovers that don't care for athletics may want to see this built, but understand that it can't until the new stadium is constructed. The more likely scenario? The music/arts lovers that don't care for athletics call for an end to football to build their opera house.

*The addition of housing at the current Fouts location. I don't see this being down without the new stadium, so maybe LJ and crew will notice the need to move the stadium to secure land for future academic and housing concerns. May be wishful thinking, but you never know.

*I think this is an impressive plan, and am excited about the future of North Texas.

I noticed how moving the stadium across the interstate is key to developing all that land where Fouts is now; a parking garage, Opera Hall, and 2 resident halls.

Oh man how funny would it be if the football stadium was finally built because the music department needed the land for an opera hall..... half you guys would have a freaking coronary!!!

Shane

Oh man how funny would it be if the football stadium was finally built because the music department needed the land for an opera hall..... half you guys would have a freaking coronary!!!

Shane

I dont care how the stadium gets built, just as long as it does. If it takes the music department and the housing department and the parking department needing the land that fouts is built on to get it down then all the better.

I have a really stupid question about constructing the stadium. Florida State's stadium used to look like an erector set (it really was a dive) and they faced the same restriction against using state funds for athletic facilities. When they renovated their stadium, the entire outside structure that wrapped around the erector set consisted of classrooms and administrative offices (ie; non-athletic uses). Therefore, FSU used state money for the construction and only had to raise money for the internal athletic-oriented renovations. Is something like that possible at UNT? Has it been considered?

I have a really stupid question about constructing the stadium.  Florida State's stadium used to look like an erector set (it really was a dive) and they faced the same restriction against using state funds for athletic facilities.  When they renovated their stadium, the entire outside structure that wrapped around the erector set consisted of classrooms and administrative offices (ie; non-athletic uses).  Therefore, FSU used state money for the construction and only had to raise money for the internal athletic-oriented renovations.  Is something like that possible at UNT?  Has it been considered?

I have heard that the last part of your post has been considered as a possibility at NORTH TEXAS.

.....................................................................................................

BEST NEW STADIUM IDEA YET!

One of our "thinking outside the box" alums (untcampbell) very cleverly showed me a "curved to fit the north end zone" hotel facility in my office one morning awhile back; but such a hotel would take care of that north end zone while (perhaps) providing some funding for other parts of the stadium, especially if (sublimenal Wyndam, Marriot, Hilton, etc) received prime interstate real estate land for free in which to build such an end zone structure. rolleyes.gif

BTW, I thought it was great idea when you diagrammed it for me back then and I think it is still a superb idea today, Scottie Campbell! Anyone think this idea is worth emailing Rick Villarreal?

.........................................................................................................

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

With the lack of success of the Radison, I just don't see another hotel company jumping at the chance to build there.

Why not just build the second phase of Victory hall in a U shape that just happens to fit around the field? wink.gif

It won't be the first "Football Stadium shaped" dorm in the country.

Edited by Stan R

With the lack of success of the Radison, I just don't see another hotel company jumping at the chance to build there.

Competition might make the Denton Radisson work a little harder? rolleyes.gif

But didn't they change management and finally get it all together at the Denton Radisson? It seems they would have to work overtime to fail in Denton with so many campus activities bringing outsiders to campus PLUS Texas Motor Speedway events of which we are told every hotel from FW to Ardmore are sold out several long weekends a year.

UNTLifer, I do remember when they were having their troubles, but wasn't that in the distant past?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Along these same lines, I've thought about the following for quite a while.

An 8 (or so) story building to be used for whatever we could get funding for with the top two stories being the press box and suites. Then, the stadium seating would be built butting right up to the building and could be anything, including the erector set variety, because it would be the building that would show externally.

I wish they could do this at the present location by tearing down the west stands, eliminating the track, moving the field close to the east stands and building anew on the west side.

Guess that's completely out of the question now that they are already installing the new surface at Fouts.