UNT/LSU Final Score and Stat. Predictions

THE GAME WILL BE COMPETITIVE UNTIL WE LEAVE THE DRESSING ROOM FOR PREGAME WARMUP. IT ALL GOES DOWNHILL FROM THERE. LSU 70 UNT 0---JUST SO THEY CAN SAY THEY ONE UPPED UT WITH THIS SACRIFICIAL LAMB. I JUST HOPE DD GETS THE STARTERS OUT FAST BEFORE WE LOSE OUR WHOLE SEASON IN ONE $$$$ GAME!!!!!!! ohmy.gif

What other greeks are on here? Any other KA's

Here's one, pledge class president fall of '67, initiated spring of ' 68, but consider and beware brother it's not popular with Bonita Jacobs to be a KA alum. It's just a shame that a few bad apples brought down the most severe punishment in the history of the NT greek system. You can look at the outlaws and drug addicts we've had in FB the last few years, but I saw no talk of a 5 year moratorium on FB when these were announced because all knew they did not represent even a fraction of our overall team. Also they had support from others in the athletic dept. How many KAs were on the tribunal that sat in judgement of the Gamma Lambda chapter of the Kappa Alpha Order---not one. How can you claim to know anything about a frat if you don't even have an initiated member on your tribunal? Not to mention the ill will with alums that was generated when the house was taken even though it had been built with outside alumni funds. I wonder how UNT legal ever managed to get that through as it was clearly an illegal seizure. The KA alums we lost and the $ KAs have given back to this university far outweigh the publicity acheived by outside agitators. This was clearly a UNT incident that needed to be resolved internally, and those that participated promptly expelled, but to punish the entire of KAO, which has produced such as distinguished alumni Jerry Durant, top all time NT QB Steve Ramsey, many North Texas Exes officers, cheerleaders, Talons, band members, educators, etc. is purely wrong and discriminatory. Those of you that know me know that I have many black friends and clients. Only the uninitiated put the stigma of racism on KAO. Personnally my initiation was probably one of the most meaningful religious experiences of my life. I feel the 5 year expulsion of the entire chapter was a blatant overreaction of UNT yielding to outside agitating sources. Let those who sit in judgement at least have walked in the same shoes as the accused. I know of no initiated member of KAO who approved of the actions of those few, but for goodness sake punish the perpretrators not those who have stood by the tennants of their Order and have been a fixture of the NT greek system since the 1950's. I would encourage the founding of a KA chapter of the North Texas Exes to get some of the successful KAO alums back involved in this university. mad.gif

WAR & PEACE

Chapter 1:

Folks, this is not our Uncle George's NCAA D1-A since the SWC dissolved. The schism between the haves and have nots has grown even larger. For further proof, just check the Texas state top 100 list anymore to see how many non BCS schools are even listed besides Texas HS phenom's names. It has even changed dramatically ever since Coach Dickey and his staff had 7 or 8 off that elite state top 100 list several years ago, now hasn't it?

NT has to do its part (like in----F-A-C-I-L-I-T-I-E-S?) to try to bridge our own distance between the BCS and our present role in the non BCS. What we do on those 200 acres between those 2 Texas interstates, ie, the new Mean Green Athletic Village will determine how much we eventually close that gap, IMHO. And isn't it always money that plays the vital role in all this?

Chapter 2:

Until our NT constituency-wide donation levels reach that of the budgets of the LSU's, OU's, Texas', TAMU's etc, etc, etc, I guess a few of our most loyal will continue to stay intrigued with this "David vs. Goliath" role. This a role some non BCS schools play when they play Big Boy U and, yes, even ever once in a blue moon when one of the non BCS teams beats a Top 10 Big Boy U. Can't remember when a Top 10 school was defeated by one of our fellow non BCS schools, but wouldn't it be about (maybe) 1 out of every 500 games? rolleyes.gif

Sure we would all love to beat the LSU Tigers and our team will go to Baton Rouge, Louisiana, with that full intent, but that kind of victory would really fit moreso on the ceiling part of where we'd really like our NT athletic program to be one day. If we could compare NT Athletics to a house, then we all know darn good and well we still have much, much more foundation that just plain out needs to be laid in MG Country,ie, fundraising & donations from NT alums/fans, big time marketing (which is costly), more butts in seats which a big time marketing program would produce, etc, etc, etc.

Chapter 3:

Yet it always come back to the subject of money, now doesn't it? Such a subject that can get real personal-----like in yours and my money for starters?sad.gif It starts with a greater need for even more investors with this NT Athletic program. NT alum Joe "greenjoe" Holland, a Denton proprietor (Denton Bicycle Center), posted how any NT alum/fan can join the $250 level of NT's primary fund-raising arm of its athletic deparment with only a $21.oo plus change monthly donation. There is even a smaller donor level for the MG Club after looking at the mailer on the internet that most of us will be getting in our mail boxes this next week. Like other similar mailers in the past, it will probably go out to over 100,000 in our NT family across the Southwest.

Don't we all remember the story about David and Goliath? Yet, if an NT ever defeated one of the Goliaths on our football schedule, we don't conquer an entire country as the story goes in the Book, but our Mean Green players have 1 victory that a coaching staff will allow them to enjoy until Monday when a new challenge begins. And if our MG had such a huge Top 10 win, they still have to come back to Denton and co-exist in whatever environment our alumnus donations utlimately creates for them to exist in; unlike Big Boy U who in their facility arms race have better facilites to train in and play in than some NFL teams.

Epilogue:

If you were a Mean Green football player, what kind of athletic physical plant would you want to come home to after such a victory over a Top 10 Big Boy U in front of 70-90,000 fans? So IMO, we need more concrete for our NT athletic's foundation and haven't we really had that need for decades even after we had a few high profile wins back in the day?

Just my $2.00 worth on this...

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

WAR & PEACE

Chapter 1:

Folks, this is not our Uncle George's NCAA D1-A since the SWC dissolved.  The schism between the haves and have nots has grown even larger.  For further proof, just check the Texas state top 100 list anymore to see how many non BCS schools are even listed besides Texas HS phenom's names.  It has even changed dramatically ever since Coach Dickey and his staff had 7 or 8 off that elite state top 100 list several years ago, now hasn't it?

NT has to do its part (like in----F-A-C-I-L-I-T-I-E-S?)  to try to bridge our own distance between the BCS and our present role in the non BCS.  What we do on those 200 acres between those 2 Texas interstates, ie, the new Mean Green Athletic Village will determine how much we eventually close that gap, IMHO.  And isn't it always money that plays the vital role in all this?

Chapter 2:

Until our NT constituency-wide donation levels reach that of the budgets of the LSU's, OU's, Texas', TAMU's etc, etc, etc,  I guess a few of our most loyal will continue to stay intrigued with this "David vs. Goliath" role. This a role some non BCS schools play when they play Big Boy U and, yes, even ever once in a blue moon when one of the non BCS teams beats a Top 10 Big Boy U.  Can't remember when a Top 10 school was defeated by one of our fellow non BCS schools, but wouldn't it be about (maybe) 1 out of every 500 games? rolleyes.gif

Sure we would all love to beat the LSU Tigers and our team will go to Baton Rouge, Louisiana, with that full intent, but that kind of victory would really fit moreso on the ceiling part of where we'd really like our NT athletic  program to be one day.  If we could compare NT Athletics to a house, then we all know darn good and well we still have much, much more foundation that just plain out needs to be laid in MG Country,ie, fundraising & donations from NT alums/fans, big time marketing (which is costly), more butts in seats which a big time marketing program would produce, etc, etc, etc.

Chapter 3:

Yet it always come back to the subject of money, now doesn't it?  Such a subject that can get real personal-----like in yours and my money for starters?sad.gif    It starts with a greater need for even more investors with this NT Athletic program.  NT alum Joe "greenjoe" Holland, a Denton proprietor (Denton Bicycle Center), posted how any NT alum/fan can join the $250 level of NT's primary fund-raising arm of its athletic deparment with only a $21.oo plus change monthly donation.  There is even a smaller donor level for the MG Club after looking at the mailer on the internet that most of us will be getting in our mail boxes this next week.  Like other similar mailers in the past, it will probably go out to over 100,000 in our NT family across the Southwest.

Don't we all remember the story about David and Goliath?  Yet, if an NT ever defeated one of the Goliaths on our football schedule, we don't conquer an entire country as the story goes in the Book, but our Mean Green players have 1 victory that a coaching staff will allow them to enjoy until Monday when a new challenge begins.  And if our MG had such a huge Top 10 win, they still have to come back to Denton and co-exist in whatever environment our alumnus donations utlimately creates for them to exist in;  unlike  Big Boy U who in their facility arms race have better facilites to train in and play in than some NFL teams.   

Epilogue:

If you were a Mean Green football player, what kind of athletic physical plant would you want to come home to after such a victory over a Top 10 Big Boy U in front of 70-90,000 fans?  So IMO, we need more concrete for our NT athletic's foundation and haven't we really had that need for decades even after we had a few high profile wins back in the day?

Just my $2.00 worth on this...

Just one question----- with far inferior facilities than we have today, lesser paid coaches, a smaller student body, a lesser populated region, and nowhere near the caliber athlete NT now has--why were we competitive against the so-called "Big Boys" then, but witness an embarrassing lack of competitivenes as we did at UT, BU, CU,and the New Orleans Bowl last year? If you can answer that one question it will be the first time I have ever been given a straightforth answer. Personally I have never witnessed a stadium or facilities win a FB game. It takes prepared, motivated players to do that. 0- 92 in two years at UT would seem to indicate we have neither. It's called PRIDE in your performance and leaving it all on the field and never quitting no matter what the score. That is all anyone can ask of any team. I have not witnessed that kind of heart from this team in OOC.

Just one question----- with far inferior facilities than we have today, lesser paid coaches, a smaller student body, a lesser populated region, and nowhere near the caliber athlete NT now has--why were we competitive against the so-called "Big Boys" then, but witness an embarrassing lack of competitivenes as we did at UT, BU, CU,and the New Orleans Bowl last year? If you can answer that one question it will be the first time I have ever been given a straightforth answer. Personally I have never witnessed a stadium or facilities win a FB game. It takes prepared, motivated players to do that. 0- 92 in two years at UT would seem to indicate we have neither. It's called PRIDE in your performance and leaving it all on the field and never quitting no matter what the score. That is all anyone can ask of any team. I have not witnessed that kind of heart from this team in OOC.

MANIFESTO #77: Sleeping disorder? Take Sominex or try to get thru this post! LOL!

Jim, I understand what you are saying but I'll add a few thoughts on some of what you are talking about and some of it I don't have any answers.

IMO, we are talking about a completely different era when we saw some of Hayden Fry's teams get our school some very nice national recognition with several high profile wins. I remember hearing Coach Fry at some gathering proudly beaming how NORTH TEXAS had been the talk of the NCAA Winter Convention following the season that we beat the mighty Volunteers of the University of Tennessee. We had not seen better times in Denton as far as Mean Green football was concerned at that point in time of our history.

Yet, the Tennessee Vols were not a ranked team when we beat them. Bill Battle's job was on the line before the Mean Green laid the surprise of his life on him and his team on October 25, 1975. smile.gif Outside a 1974 win over an AP (or UPI?) poll Top 20 ranked San Diego State Aztecs at Fouts Field, I cannot recall that any of our other high profile wins in the modern era of football at NORTH TEXAS were ever against a Top 20 or Top 25 school. You were at all the games in 1974, too, which is the one football season in our history that we did beat a Top 20 school; yet even with such a high profile and quality win as that was over the Aztecs, our football team still finished with a 2-7-2 record that season. Go figure.....sad.gif NOTE: I've read on other boards that when some other non BCS schools had high profile wins that they still many times finished with an under .500 W/L record.

IMO, there was a day when NT's facilities (as behind the times as they've been thru the decades) were really not so far behind what the SWC schools were doing "facility-wise" back in the 1970's. The main thing the SWC'ers had that we did not were real bonafide college football stadiums and Astro-Turf on each of their fields. NT could not afford artificial turf in that day or maybe our NT administration just didn't want to spend the money for it. Of course, Coach Fry thought using Texas Stadium made up for much when it came to NT's facilties. How many NT recruits back then saw Texas Stadium first and Fouts Field last on their visits?

A CHANGING OF THE WINDS: Anyway, there was no dramatic arms race among Texas D1-A schools on facilities back then as there is today and has been the last 10 years. When that arms race began back in the 1990's, that is when I believe many of us who support NT were seeing our school was (bascially) being left behind at the train station. The dramatic separation between the "haves" and the "have nots" began with athletic facility construction all over the Southwest---except at NORTH TEXAS. The Dallas Morning News a few years ago did a full length feature article outlining what each Texas D1-A school were spending on athletic venues (mostly football-related) and NT hardly registered as a blip on the radar screen in athletic facility expenditures. Many of us who read that DMN article were not only embarrassed for our school, but for ourselves--the NT students, fans and alums. Even worse when that DMN article came out, NT had no solid future plans to do much of anything except paint Fouts Field for the umpteenth time. (whoopy)sad.gif

I think it would be safe to say if NT did not have plans to build a new football stadum at Eagle Point (which TxDOT is telling us we'd better since they need Fouts's frontage property) that we would even get left further behind and even in the Sun Belt Conference because other schools (Troy U) have modernized their "track-less" stadiums or have plans to join the rest of NCAA D1-A's arm race. Even Coach Howard Schnellenberger's FAU has raised millions toward a new domed stadium. The arms race of D1-A facility construction, Jim, is the difference today because many of our Texas HS products already play in some nice HS facilities, starting real close to our campus with the Denton ISD and their fabulous football stadium.

TCU recruited from right out of our back yard a pretty darn good defensive lineman from McKinney during last Winter's recruiting. At the last minute and after the kid had supposedly had a pretty good visit at our campus he opted for TCU. Anyone else think that TCU's complete package of football related venues with their Grand Old Lady, Amon Carter Stadium, as the icing on the cake might have been the difference in him wearing purple/white over green/white? NT at present cannot match TCU's icing on the cake, but we know that is going to change while we wait for our campus fundraisers to hit pay dirt with a Big Donor and word has it that they are out there hustling some pretty impressive names BUT----ALL WE NEED IS ONE. From Day One when we knew we had to eventually abandon Fouts Field we all knew we would need a Big Donor and that has not and will not change.

With today's Texas HS football players, the "WOW" factor of outstanding college athletic facilities as Coach Dennis Francione at TAMU calls them seems to have a much greater influence of where a kid signs his letter of intent as compared to past decades. UNT has begun to add to its WOW factors with what we are now doing at those 200 acres at Eagle Point Campus and the timing for doing this could not have been any better. ******** <>*<> In fact, can anyone only imagine how even further behind we would have been in today's NCAA D1-A (especially in Texas) if we didn't have in our own athletic facility arms race arsenal what we now have out at Eagle Point? Schools who have the best football facilities can get into conferences over schools who have even gone to 4 bowl games in a row.?sad.gif BUILD IT!

I cannot answer the questions on our losses last year to #3 ranked Texas (except that UT was just that--ranked #3); or even our game with Southern Miss at the NO's Bowl. I do know USM gave the (then) #4 ranked Cal Bears a very close game a week or 2 before they caught us in the Big Easy and their game with Cal could have just as easily been a win for those Golden Eagles. If the Golden Eagles had beaten the Cal Bears, NORTH TEXAS and the SBC would have probably been hosting a ranked team in last December's New Orleans Bowl. Also, check out USM's overall football related venues compared to ours (for the moment, at least). We are now a school with an athletic facilties game plan and when we finish all venues at the 200 acre Eagle Point, there could very well be a pretty big handful of even BCS schools who we will pass in facilities, neverminding 99% of the non BCS schools of which we will do our Road Runner "Beep-Beep" routine as we pass them by leaving dust in our wake.smile.gif

What I can offer as one remedy to such high profile games that NT will play in the future is just signing more quality athletes because that is the difference in any D1-A program. All NCAA D1-A college coaches here in the Lone Star State would agree that each of their own collection of football related facilities plays a most important part in signing quality classes on a regular basis AND not just a good class every 3 or 4 years.

Sadly, those schools (most of whom are in the non BCS) who don't join this escalated athletic facility arms race will find themselves sitting at home all dressed up for the Prom with no one who is interested in taking them. Some of those programs may not survive long enough to join the present athletic venues arms race if they don't begin doing such soon IMO.

IN CLOSING: NORTH TEXAS is more than just fortunate to have President Norval Pohl, Board of Regents Chairman Bobby Ray and a pro-active AD in Rick V. Many of us have been around when none of the aforementioned in their respective positions were even close to being on the same page when it came to having the same philosophies as far as having a progressive NCAA Division 1-A football program.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen