The scariest thing about Sept. 10th

calvin

They have a great QB in Clint Marks who threw for a ton of yards last year. The MUTS passing game is probably better than LSU. And we are going to have a brand new d-line and three brand new secondary guys with only one game experience. I am afraid that our defensive may get torched.

The one good thing about it is though the game speed and intensity will be lowered a notch from the LSU game. This maybe where having a fresh JaMario and Patrick will help. Hopefully they will be able to control the game to keep our young defense off the field.

They have a great QB in Clint Marks who threw for a ton of yards last year.  The MUTS passing game is probably better than LSU.  And we are going to have a brand new d-line and three brand new secondary guys with only one game experience.  I am afraid that our defensive may get torched.

The one good thing about it is though the game speed and intensity will be lowered a notch from the LSU game.  This maybe where having a fresh JaMario and Patrick will help.  Hopefully they will be able to control the game to keep our young defense off the field.

We have 2 Mean Green running backs that are capable of controlling any Sun Belt game with their ability to score from anywhere on a Sun Belt football field at anytime of a Sun Belt game. More sustained offensive drives this Fall might be more in order.

SBC schools should be more concerned with what one of those running backs did to a Big 12 school that had the #4 ranked rushing defense in NCAA D1-A before he and his MG teammates took to the field in Boulder, Colorado.

I feel confident with who Darrell Dickey is reloading to take over from those who have graduated.

Hasn't the recruitment of Texas HS talent (and some in Oklahoma) been enough in the SBC thus far (even though NT doesn't win the SBC recruiting guru beauty contest hardly ever)? I know which contest the Mean Green Nation prefers we win each Fall and it ain't on paper. cool.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Our RBs will be very productive IF the O-line can hold off the opponents defense....... The players up front on defense and offense get less credit but they HAVE to do well for us to do well.

SE-66, having a 2005 Outland Trophy nominee to anchor this Fall's NORTH TEXAS offensive line gives me the warm fuzzies about much of the good that can happen starting in just about 7-8 weeks now.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

[We have 2 Mean Green running backs that are capable of controlling any Sun Belt game with their ability to score from anywhere on a Sun Belt football field at anytime of a Sun Belt game.  More sustained offensive drives this Fall might be more in order.

I am sure that the other 10 players have something to do with the success of your running game. Actually I think they have a lot to do with it. Do not forget that your defense has allowed your offense to play conservatively against Sun Belt Teams.

Another thing, lets not forget that UNT is not a good team, UNT is an ‘OK’ team in a conference that happens to have had a lot really bad teams, but that should change. I really do feel that the addition of Troy, FAU and FIU will give the Belt some other teams to brag about (yes we brag about what your team has accomplished because it helps all our images) in a very short time. Also there is no reason that MTSU should not have matched your teams success. Look for ULL and ULM to field better teams this year.

As for ‘cookies and milk’ ASU, we will compete against you for championships when we have a coach that puts winning at the top of his ‘to-do’ list. That has not been that case with Roberts but our athletic director thinks that he might be in a position to help in this regard. If he is successful, and I think he will be in football, ASU will be one of the better teams in the Belt on the field and not just in practice and in the classroom.

Edited by Seminole Indian

I am sure that the other 10 players have something to do with the success of your running game. Actually I think they have a lot to do with it. Do not forget that your defense has allowed your offense to play conservatively against Sun Belt Teams.

Another thing, lets not forget that UNT is not a good team, UNT is an ‘OK’ team in a conference that happens to have had a lot really bad teams, but that should change.

Another thing, lets not forget that UNT is not a good team, UNT is an ‘OK’ team in a conference that happens to have had a lot really bad teams, but that should change.

How true! Good running backs need good O-lineman to make holes for them to run through just as much as bad running backs need good lineman. A combination of really good RB's, better than average lineman and good coaching have allowed UNT to excel in the running game.

Who said UNT was good? Are you trying to take us down a notch or two? This isn't necessary, as most of us on this board know we have not achieved the greatness that we strive for, but we sure as hell have been GOOD compared to ASU the last 4 years.

Now wait just a gol' darned minute! blink.gif

Is your name, uh, Coach Charley Weatherbie or something?

IMHO, we are an exceptional team when we win a NO's Bowl game and we did just that for our conference in only its 2'nd year of existence. Give us a some credit for doing that, OK? wink.gif

Dickey's teams do just what they have to do in SBC play. I think once we advance this program a light year or 2 with a new football stadium, then we take everything up a significant notch. I hope the SBC (and even Coach Howie' at FAU) will be able to keep up with that. (I know, that sounds just like the 6'th generation Texan that I am)! biggrin.gif

but we sure as hell have been GOOD compared to ASU the last 4 years.

That is not saying very much but let me say that I take great satisfaction in the fact that UNT has taken it to ASU the last few years for three reasons. First, the most classless act I have ever seen by an ASU coaching staff was when Hollis allowed an winless (and totally classless) ASU team to run up the score on UNT in 2000, so a running back and receiver could have thousand yard seasons. When I left the stadium I told a friend that payback would be hell and it has been.

Second, when a UNT, MTSU or Idaho, schools with similar resources as ASU, kick them around like a bunch of whipped dogs, it makes it more difficult for the homers on the Tribalgrounds.com message board who persist in saying that we have a great coaching staff at ASU. This staff is probably closer to the bottom of the Sun Belt than it is to the top .

Third, for those of you that are not familiar with Roberts “I Will” program it basically says that only players that give great effort in the classroom and in practice will play. Talent is not a factor when it comes to playing time at ASU and we have had a number of blue chip players on the sidelines while former walk-ons have earned starting jobs. This program worked for Roberts at the Division II and 1AA level, but I do not think he factored in for the fact that God, not coaches, sometime determines who can play 1A football. Maybe watching a few of his former walk-on with 5.0 speed trying to chase down a UNT running back might inspire Roberts’s to realize that not everyone, no matter how hard they try, can be successful playing 1A football.

That is not saying very much but let me say that I take great satisfaction in the fact that UNT has taken it to ASU the last few years for three reasons. First, the most classless act I have ever seen by an ASU coaching staff was when Hollis allowed an winless (and totally classless) ASU team to run up the score on UNT in 2000, so a running back and receiver could have thousand yard seasons. When I left the stadium I told a friend that payback would be hell and it has been.

Second, when a UNT, MTSU or Idaho, schools with similar resources as ASU, kick them around like a bunch of whipped dogs, it makes it more difficult for the homers on the Tribalgrounds.com message board who persist in saying that we have a great coaching staff at ASU. This staff is probably closer to the bottom of the Sun Belt than it is to the top .

Third, for those of you that are not familiar with Roberts “I Will” program it basically says that only players that give great effort in the classroom and in practice will play. Talent is not a factor when it comes to playing time at ASU and we have had a number of blue chip players on the sidelines while former walk-ons have earned starting jobs. This program worked for Roberts at the Division II and 1AA level, but I do not think he factored in for the fact that God, not coaches, sometime determines who can play 1A football. Maybe watching a few of his former walk-on with 5.0 speed trying to chase down a UNT running back might inspire Roberts’s to realize that not everyone, no matter how hard they try, can be successful playing 1A football.

Many of us here in the Metroplex (especially those who call themselves Horned Frogs) will not forget how he brought his NCAA 1-AA Northwestern St (La) and beat a pretty good TCU football team the year before he took the ASU job. So...........

............I don't know why some of that kind of coaching and recruiting didn't transfer (to some extent) to Jonesboro. It took Darrell Dickey 5 years to get our football program above .500 in wins, so isn't this Coach Roberts 5'th year at ASU?

[

IMHO, we are an exceptional team when we win a NO's Bowl game and we did just that for our conference in only its 2'nd year of existence.  Give us a some credit for doing that, OK? wink.gif

You got it! biggrin.gif

All belt teams, except perhaps WKU, take pride in what UNT has done. You just do not need to be responsible for building the reputation for theconference by yourselves.

Edited by Seminole Indian

It is his 4th at ASU.

So as an outsider I'd just say give him more time....Every school has its own unique problems.

He probably didn't inherit much when he arrived in Jonesboro, just like Coach Dickey didn't at NT (to a great extent, especially in the football facilities department).

Do yall have any more football-related facilities on the drawing boards such as new indoor practice facility, athletic centers, ASU Hall of Fame facilities, etc, etc, etc? Maybe yall already have some of the aforementioned. Can you link some photos of your football-related facilties? smile.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

You got it! biggrin.gif

All belt teams, except perhaps WKU, take pride in what UNT has done. You just do not need to be responsible for building the reputation for theconference by yourselves.

Well said Seminole. Although I wish we had been victorious in more than one NO Bowl, North Texas can't go it alone to build the conference.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

I don't feel you can say criticism of either of our DD led UT games is unfair. These are the two most lop sided losses in the entire history of the series under 4 prior coaches ( Fry, Tyler, Nelson, and even Parker ). We probably had more talent on the field than any of those prior teams ( admitted UT also had more talent than their other teams as well) but in the first half of both games and the entire second game we were unmotivated, outclassed, and pitifully out coached. The 2004 UT game may be one of the most embarassing efforts in the history of NT football---the effort was purely pitiful!!!! ohmy.gif

So as an outsider I'd just say give him more time....Every school has its own unique problems.

He probably didn't inherit much when he arrived in Jonesboro, just like Coach Dickey didn't at NT (to a great extent, especially in the football facilities department).

Do yall have any more football-related facilities on the drawing boards such as new indoor practice facility, athletic centers, ASU Hall of Fame facilities, etc, etc, etc? Maybe yall already have some of the aforementioned. Can you link some photos of your football-related facilties? smile.gif

I think Roberts is safe unless we are 3-8 in his 5th year.

He inherited a lot of talent from Hollis but was lacking a QB and speed in the secondary. Plus they had to lean his system.

Sorry, but because I live only seven miles from the school I never take photos. I'll have to ask someone on the Sun Belt board to link some photos and update us on the newest athletic additions and what is coming down the pike. I do no that ASU really has outstanding facilities, and they are constantly building something. In fact ASU has looked like a big construction site for the last decade and everyone who comes back after a few years are stunned by the changes. It is an impressive campus.

Do yall have any more football-related facilities on the drawing boards such as new indoor practice facility, athletic centers, ASU Hall of Fame facilities, etc, etc, etc?  Maybe yall already have some of the aforementioned.  Can you link some photos of your football-related facilties? smile.gif

This was the reply I got on the Sun Belt message board:

We just built the $2million dollar football facility in the endzone and had donations of $250k for the weight room improvements and expansions in the faciity and another gift of $250K for the Student Health center in the facility to help with athletic training.

As you know we are scheduled to put a new "Artificial Turf" down in November in the stadium. As for indoor facilities we don't have anything in the works for now officially although I imagine Dr. Lee is contemplating one since every other school is doing the same...we will need it for recruiting but the artificial turf in the stadium will minimize the need for an indoor facility for at least temporarily.

BTW, you can view the end zone facility on the ASUIndians.com website.

I don't know if I would go there. Their stadium is not bad (a HECK of a lot better than ours), and looks expandable. Even when we get our nice, new state-of-the-art stadium theirs would still be comparable. But, it does appear as if we are a step-up from them. In five years, however, it looks like most of our schools will be at least comparable to other conferences' schools as far as facilities. MTSU, Troy, and NT all have world-class facilities right now.