Latest attendance numbers

Coach

In case you are like me and got sick of EagleD's signatures and turned them off, here is what mine says:

Last home attendance at North Texas: 918

Last home attendance at UTEP: 12,000

Last home attendance at SMU: 3,254

Last home attendance of Savannah State (0-28): 1,357

That's right, Savannah State, which just finished the season winless at 0-28 drew MORE than a 12-11 NORTH TEXAS team did last time out!

Now, look at UTEP's number and remember who got in CUSA.

Let's turn this embarassment around....there is a game against first place Denver Thursday, that will be shown on ESPN Regional as well....let's get out for a weekday game like we haven't done all season!

I will be there to support the Mean Green against the best the Belt has to offer...who is with me?

Edited by Coach

Like I said in a previous post, and was attacked by everybody, North Texas basketball games are boring. The atmosphere, songs (like Fly Like an Eagle), the way they sell tickets at a table at the front gate, incredibly bush league. I would think that in 19 years, that NT would improve upon their gametime processes just a bit. Again, "if you always do, what you've always done, you will always get what you always got."

I bet you that SMU doesn't sell their tickets the way we do at the front gates. If they did, they wouldn't be able to accomadate 3500 people a night.

I would love to get a hold of the promotions and ticket sales of this university. wink.gif

Now let the blindly faithful begin their attacks.

Edited by tonyhuntoon

Actually, I jab a screwdriver into my temple everytime I hear Fly Like an Eagle to lessen the pain of it.

And SMU does not sell tickets like we do, I know that because it was one of those crazy road trips I went to in college that apparently carry more weight than current home in measuring support. We had a crazy pit stop at a gas station/Mickey D's on the way back...I think I got a double cheeseburger...good times.

Why would anyone attack you?

Are you going to try to make it out Thursday? The Mean Green could use your support.

Like I said in a previous post, and was attacked by everybody, North Texas basketball games are boring. The atmosphere, songs (like Fly Like an Eagle), the way they sell tickets at a table at the front gate, incredibly bush league. I would think that in 19 years, that NT would improve upon their gametime processes just a bit. Again, "if you always do, what you've always done, you will always get what you always got."

I bet you that SMU doesn't sell their tickets the way we do at the front gates. If they did, they wouldn't be able to accomadate 3500 people a night.

I would love to get a hold of the promotions and ticket sales of this university.  wink.gif

Now let the blindly faithful begin their attacks.

The way tickets are sold has no bearing on what I think of the game. The atmosphere could be better, but don't you think with more people in the stands that could take care of itself?

That's why it is important for those of us that love the Green regardless, to attend these games to encourage others to come again.

You're right Tony, it's not the best, but, we as fans, can make it that way.

Actually the attendence for the game yesterday was under a 1,000, according to the box score. Needless to say it was a mistake to schedule a NAIA team on a Monday night, especially when it was Valentine's Day. I was there, and needless to say the crowd was pretty. One thing this season that has not helped the cause with attendence is that the three highest attended games of the season this year which were TCU, Western Kentucky, and New Mexico State that we only won one of those three.

I'll agree that some things could be changed about the atmosphere at the Pit including the Pep Band intigrating new stuff into their catalog of songs for the game. But I don't think that you can use that as a valid excuse for not coming to the games.

Thursday's game probably won't tip off until around 7:20 to 7:30 since it's apart of a DH, which is good for the latecomers to possibly get the game on time.

Ticket boothes, songs played at the games(I love Fly Like An Eagle because it reminds me of our win on ESPN back in my day to qualify for the tournement) has zero bearing on why or why not people are getting out of the dorms and over to the games. Winning is what matters most to people, and who have we beaten that someone would know about? New Mexico State is all that comes to mind as a recent known name win. Losing to TCU I think hurt more than most realize. Also, what's on campus right now that tells people there is a game on regional TV this thursday night? Anything? Any signs or banners in the union? Anything?

Rick

• Upvote 1

Like I said in a previous post, and was attacked by everybody, North Texas basketball games are boring.

Which NT games have you been to this season, and what about the actual game itself made you think they were boring? And no, the way tickets are sold has no effect on how exciting the game is.

My mistake, thanks for pointing that out because it makes the issue even more imperative.

Here is the sad fact:

On the same night, 0-28 Savannah State outdrew North Texas.

sad.gif

It was their last home game of the year ... senior night .... and I am sure a lot of people wanted to see NCAA history be prevented ...... who wants to graduate from Savannah and have every interview have one "basketball" question ......

I was at the game and seeing all those empty seats was a sad sight. I know this is a commuter school but we still have plenty of students that live in the dorms or that live close enough to campus to attend the games. I know a lot of people who have never even been to a game. I think if people would just get off their asses and go just once, then they may find out that many of the games get pretty exciting. I really think the "I've got a test" excuse is weak. I have tests just like everyone else but i still find time to go to the games. Its not like you don't know at least a week in advance that the test is coming. And besides everyone needs a study break, so why not take a couple hours to come out and support the Mean Green.

The lack of spirit on campus is pitiful. The university needs to do more to promote not only basketball but all athletic events. And what's up with the city of Denton? Do they not know that there is a major university in their backyard that needs their support. I mean the people that live in Austin are die hard fans. It doesnt matter if they went to UT or not, they still support the Horns.

Just my two cents.

The AD does need to do a LOT more to promote games, no question.

But if the movement doesn't start right here, with the best NT fans there is to offer on gmg.com, who will it start with? The fairweather fans? The uninformed and conditioned not to care if they were students? No way. We will still be stuck looking UP to Savannah State's attendance.

So, NT faithful, who else will be there Thursday against first place Denver?

I believe that the TCU game killed the attendence this year. Had we won that game, I believe more people would have come out to see us. I believe the only way we will see a normal "decent" crowd will be if we were to make it to the SBC Tourny Final. Making it to the dance, is so much more bigger than winning in football or any other sport. Then again it would be embarrising to see us in the tourny final and have a crowd of only 2000 or so.

It was their last home game of the year ... senior night .... and I am sure a lot of people wanted to see NCAA history be prevented ...... who wants to graduate from Savannah and have every interview have one "basketball" question ......

Exactly.... what's Savannah State's attendance average?

Their last game was probably their highest attended game in years, for all the reasons you stated. SOme people went to cheer them on to finally win one, and some went to see some History.

If you wanna do what Savannah State did to get the attendance, then go right ahead. Pray for an 0-fer next year, and we'll probably have the best attended home finale ever.

So, at any rate, pointing to Savannah State's record-making performance is not a terribly good way to compare. It's a logic fault.

You are right, it's unreasonable to expect North Texas to outdraw the worst team in the nation when they get 1,300.

ph34r.gif

Another logic fault...

"Straw Man" to be exact.

What I was pointing to is that you're comparing one of our worst attended games to their best. The simplest way to make your point valid would be to compare our average attendance to THEIR average attendance, but since that would likely lessen the relative strength of your argument, you'll simply continue to put words into my mouth and argue against issues that don't exist.

Yes, we SHOULD out-draw them always, but, as I said, your comparison isn't a good one, because you're comparing a poorly attended one for us to a highlight game for them and one which has been mentioned in the press.

If you're jealous of Savannah State, all you have to do is hope the team goes 0-fer next year, thus earning you a wonderful ONE-GAME of attendance for the year.

What I was pointing to is that you're comparing one of our worst attended games to their best.

Our worst attendance should be 4 times their best.

This shows the state of the program...

The attendance is the tangible proof. The rest is that I have had to DEFEND myself for wanting more than 900 at a North Texas basketball game. If that is expecting too much, and comparing any game bad or good to 0-28 Savannah State in games played on the same night is unfair to NT, then we have a much longer way to go than I thought.

...you'll simply continue to put words into my mouth and argue against issues that don't exist.

The attendance issue doesn't exist? Please tell me I am mistaking your words or that you are joking.

Edited by Coach

The attendance issue doesn't exist? Please tell me I am mistaking your words or that you are joking.

Savannah State averages less than 500 people per game.

I never said the attendance issue doesn't exist. My point was that the foundation of your statement was weak. You responded, as usual, by mis-interpreting what I said to make an easier argument for yourself, and then spend your time arguing against things people don't say.

We SHOULD out-draw Savannah state, on average, but there's no way to make a concrete statement based on two non-comparable games.

The fact that Savannah State outdrew us on one night, successfully illustrates nothing. Our attendance that night alone should be able to stand for itself, and it does. So why make a point about Savannah State, unless you want to draw MORE attention to an 0-28 team than it's already gotten on ESPN and the like?

All you have to do is say 900, less than a thousand and we get the picture. Savannah State is a non-issue. But, knowing that we CAN draw 3,000, and that 900-someodd is well below our own average, the issues presented Monday night aren't consistant ones. It's like taking those Thursday night ESPN football games and using those as an example. You knew when those were scheduled they would be badly attended. That's why the games that have the lowest likely attendance are the ones that need the MOST promotion. Giveaways or whatever... I dunno, I'm not a promo guy.

There's an attendance issue, but what's the cause? Whatever it is, it's not something that'll be cured by 600 different threads on how bad attendance is.

Thanks for the clarification on why I can't compare two games played on the same night in the same sport on the same level.

Now, how can it be solved?

It's got to start here, gmg.com, the self proclaimed best fans NT has.

The AD has left no doubt they will not promote basketball, or if they do, at a minimal level. There is no advertisement on campus from reports on here, and if it were not for the Pit Crew, there might not have been any at all this year.

It has to be a grassroots movement. The Pit Crew doing their thing, the Talons stepping it up, gmg.com users turning out in droves. We have to make the Super Pit on game night the place to be for US before it is for anyone else.

The fans that want to say they are best NT has to offer need to make it out to the ballgame if they can. If they can't, that's fine. But if WE don't go, then how could expect students who are unaware of the game to go? If local hoops fans look at the box and see 900 or even our best effort, 3,000, will they think it's a big time event? Will the media start turning their cameras toward Denton and in turn bringing more interest and more faces to the games f we draw like we have been? We know the answers to these, and we know what can be done about it.

Listen, all I ask is what FFR said in the other thread. Do what you can, when you can and where you can. If you can answer that honestly with a "yes, I do that", then that is all anyone can ask and this is not for you, so don't be offended. Only you know the answer to that.

If you can't, then there is a game Thursday night against a first place team that will also be on TV and I'm sure the Mean Green would love your support.

e-bone, I came to the ULAR game this year and it was boring.  Poor decisions, poor rebounding, being out hustled equaled boring in my book.

While I'm happy you came to one game, I don't think it is fair to judge the team on the one single game you watched. Like every other basketball team that has ever taken the court we have bad games from time to time, but a real fan keeps coming back even after one or a few bad games. It's called supporting your team and your school no matter what, which many of you did back when the football team was playing boring football and losing a lot of games.

But at least you gave reasons pertaining to the actual game as to why you thought it was boring, rather than how we sell tickets.