Ramon Flanigan in New York Times

Cerebus

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/12/sports/n.../12coaches.html

Division I-A Minority Hiring Still an Issue

By PETE THAMEL

Published: January 12, 2005

LOUISVILLE, Ky., Jan. 11 - The North Texas offensive coordinator, Ramon Flanigan, arrived at the American Football Coaches Association convention this week with a loaded résumé and limited options.

Flanigan, 30, is the youngest offensive coordinator in Division I-A and has impressive experience. The Mean Green has reached four consecutive bowl games, and two different running backs have led the nation in rushing in Flanigan's offense the past two seasons.

But Flanigan has received no calls from Division I-A programs about becoming a coach, and he has not even been sought out for a coordinator position at a bigger university. The seeming lack of opportunity for a black coach like Flanigan is one of the big issues hovering over college football as the A.F.C.A. holds its annual convention in Louisville.

When Syracuse hired Greg Robinson on Tuesday, the last of the 22 Division I-A openings was filled. Only one job went to a minority applicant - Tyrone Willingham at Washington, after he was fired by Notre Dame. Willingham, U.C.L.A.'s Karl Dorrell and Mississippi State's Sylvester Croom are the only black head coaches among the 117 Division I-A teams.

"The numbers were abysmally low to begin with, and they've gotten worse," the N.C.A.A. president, Myles Brand, said in a telephone interview Tuesday. "We continue to have the problem of assuring the best candidates get a fair hearing in the search process."

Two percent of major college coaches are members of minorities, in contrast to 51 percent of the players. Brand said there were five minority coaches last season and eight, the high-water mark, in 1998.

The reasons for the decline vary, but one issue that coaches and administrators have identified is that minority coaches are not becoming coordinators. Croom said that perpetuated the stereotype of minority coaches as recruiters instead of decision makers.

Croom, who became the first African-American coach in the Southeastern Conference last season, pointed out that he, Willingham and Dorrell had jumped into their head-coaching jobs from the N.F.L.

Croom suggested one change: allow more graduate assistants than the current four, only two of whom can coach on the field, to create more opportunities for young coaches. Without his graduate-assistant position, Croom said, he never would have been able to be a head coach.

"I look on the outside and I see minority coaches have been restricted in the business and don't get coordinator jobs," he said. "I don't fully understand it myself."

The only call that Flanigan received recently regarding a head-coaching job was from Division I-AA Southeastern Louisiana. Flanigan was interviewed Sunday and said he thought he performed well.

Part of his confidence stemmed from a three-day N.C.A.A.-sponsored course he took last year. The course is dedicated to helping minority coaches move up. Flanigan said the course taught him invaluable skills, including organizing his philosophies and strategies into a succinct package. He gave his program-building plan to the Southeastern Louisiana administrators.

The N.C.A.A. held its second coaching academy last weekend, tutoring 20 minority coaches. "Everyone has different aspirations," Flanigan said. "I don't want to be a running backs coach at a B.C.S. school and never become a coordinator. I don't want to be labeled as a guy on the staff who can just recruit. I want to have something to do with the games on Saturday."

Dan Boggan, a former N.C.A.A. and university administrator, spoke to the 20 minority assistant coaches last weekend. He said they faced a systemic problem that involved institutional and cultural bias.

I have to add that I beleive Flanigan was also a canidate for the Tenn. St. job and 1A job, not just the SELA job as the NYT stated.

Flanigan WAS a candidate for Tennessee State but unfortunately didn't make the top 5 finalist for the position.

Edited by MeanGreen61

"But Flanigan has received no calls from Division I-A programs about becoming a coach, and he has not even been sought out for a coordinator position at a bigger university. The seeming lack of opportunity for a black coach like Flanigan is one of the big issues hovering over college football as the A.F.C.A. holds its annual convention in Louisville."

I hate the use of terms like "a bigger university" to refer to I guess football programs with much more exposure. Unless the reference is to schools with enrollments of over 31,000. I think they can use better termology.

Interesting article on what SELA (they will join the Southland next season) is looking for in a head coach (passing offense experience!); also their AD compares the SBC to the WAC since their former coach is heading to NMSU....

....................................................................................................................

Moving On; Southeastern starts over again

By JOHN LENZ, Daily Star Sports Editor

Southeastern Athletics Director Frank Pergolizzi knew Hal Mumme wouldn't stay in Hammond for long, but he admits he was thinking he'd get a third year out of his marquee-name coaching package.

"I thought if we went 9-2 we would have a hard time keeping him," Pergolizzi said even as Mumme was being announced as New Mexico State new head football coach a thousand miles to the west in Las Cruces, N.M. "When we went 7-4, I probably let my guard down a little bit. I didn't see that as being quite enough to lift him over the edge... I thought at 7-4 we were safe for another year."

But Pergolizzi may not have counted on New Mexico State's urgency and need to make a splash as the Aggies make the big jump upwards from the Sun Belt Conference to the high-powered Western Athletic Conference.

That league is home to the likes of budding powerhouses like Fresno State, Boise State and Brigham Young -- a pass-happy league where Mumme's 'Air Raid' offense will fit right in.

"You look at New Mexico State, not to downplay that at all, but it's not a top I-A program, so for them Hal is a good hire -- and maybe the best they could get," Pergolizzi said. "I hope they can be successful there. It's not going to be easy, like it wasn't easy here."

Now the search for Southastern's next coach begins, with a solid base already established, but with a daunting move into the Southland Conference looming next season.

Pergolizzi, who will take over football operations while the coaching serach is conducted, said the critical qualities he will be looking for include a preference for a coach with some head coaching experience. Given the talent already in place, he must also be an offensive-minded coach or one who has overseen successful pass-oriented offenses.

"You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out that Martin Hankins is here and Felton Huggins is here, Hutch Gonzales and those kind of guys, so we're not going to turn around and start handing the ball off the the tailback 40 times a game," Pergolizzi said.

"So I think somebody needs to have an offensive background or have a program where there clearly has been good performance and the ability to throw the ball, not run option and cram the ball down people's throat.

Perhaps what will prove even more critical to the next coach's chances for success is his ability as a salesman -- one who can help raise revenue for Southeastern's chronically cash-strapped athletic program.

"You look at our schedule next year, it makes me nervous," Pergolizzi said. "When you start conference play, there's six weeks in a row where there's not a game there whe you can look at a game and say, 'that's a 'W'.

"We clearly know now that we have to work harder for 2005 than we did in 2004. Being in the conference next year will help the fan attractiveness of who you're playing. Admittedly, playing Texas College and Mercyhurst doesn't get a whole lot of people's attention."

Pergolizzi said he expects his fax machine will start humming today as official word of his opening gets out. He would like to have a new coach decided upon by the time the spring semester starts Jan. 18, and he expects to be a busy man in Louisville, Ky., Jan. 9 when the American Football Coaches Convention convenes.

"Hal always had his name," Pergolizzi said. "I don't think it's as critical for us to have a 'name' as it is to have someone who's a good coach who can fit in on our campus and our community, coach our student athletes and be successful."

The only call that Flanigan received recently regarding a head-coaching job was from Division I-AA Southeastern Louisiana. Flanigan was interviewed Sunday and said he thought he performed well.

Surely aspiring coaches looking to move up do not just sit there and wait for a call? Secondly, I take it from this report that Sam Houston didn't call either?

Rick

"But Pergolizzi may not have counted on New Mexico State's urgency and need to make a splash as the Aggies make the big jump upwards from the Sun Belt Conference to the high-powered Western Athletic Conference.

That league is home to the likes of budding powerhouses like Fresno State, Boise State and Brigham Young -- a pass-happy league where Mumme's 'Air Raid' offense will fit right in. "

I would be insulted by his referring to the WAC as a "big jump upwards" if he didn't honestly think that BYU is in the WAC. laugh.gif

The seeming lack of opportunity for a black coach like Flanigan is one of the big issues hovering over college football as the A.F.C.A. holds its annual convention in Louisville.

How can they make a race issue out of this? blink.gif

This article makes it seem as if he is God's gift to OC and the only reason he is not coaching at USC is because of the color of his skin.

Geez, have they watched any of our OOC games for the last four years?

Well I was insulted by his reference to the WAC being a big jump upwards from the Sun belt.  You see, this perception of the SBC is rampant.

DG, I think it is Boise State and Fresno St that creates that WAC perception.

Would be nice if UNT could start being a Top 25 foootball program like Boise State. BTW, Coach DD's Mean Green not that long ago beat the Boise State Broncos. In fact, how about 2 years in a row, ie, 1998 and 1999? blink.gif

BUILD IT (and then recruit toward it).

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Does anybody actually believe that Ramon is ready for a HC position or even an OC at an upper Conference School. I think he would be best suited taking a D-II or small I-AA and work from there. His playcalling this past year was *ahem* not Great.

Plus would he have any clue on how to coach the defense, yes he can obviously help recruit, but nothing sticks out and he could not even make the finalists list at the Tennessee State job. huh.gif

How can they make a race issue out of this? blink.gif

This article makes it seem as if he is God's gift to OC and the only reason he is not coaching at USC is because of the color of his skin.

Geez, have they watched any of our OOC games for the last four years?

You said exactly what I was thinking. I agree that the black coaches don't get enough opportunities to get head coaching jobs in college and pro football, but race is not the issue with Flannigan. Heck, who even says its because of his job performance, the guy is only 30 years old.

Sooo... being the only school to ever have back to bck rushing championships isn't an accomplishment?

And before anyone says "well we only run", lots of schools have run even more than we have, and not done this.

I dont think you'll see more minority coaches until you see more minority AD's.

It's a shame and embarrasing the lack of minority coaches and opportunities in D-1 college football.  3 out of 117 that is disgraceful.

Why? I mean really, what percentage is acceptable? 20%, 36%, 42.8%? What about percentages of Hispanic coaches, or Catholics, or Republican coaches? We have too many 1-A coaches raised in Texas! The selections must always be made on the best candidate available, period.

Everybody thinks it is great to have 2 straight Rushing Champions but outside of Colorado, JT ran against great against only Sun Belt Competition, then in the Bowl Game USM exposed the offense for what it is 1-Dimensional, there are receivers but they are never allowed to get loose b/c it is so run first and when the run gets stuffed then our offense is clueless and this reflects on the OC and HC.

Same thing for PC he ran great against Sun Belt Competition, and was a holding call and trip away from a huge game in NO.

Ramon needs to start looking good in OOC games, of course that depends on if DD gives him the thumbs up or not.

Everybody thinks it is great to have 2 straight Rushing Champions but outside of Colorado, JT ran against great against only Sun Belt Competition, then in the Bowl Game USM exposed the offense for what it is 1-Dimensional, there are receivers but they are never allowed to get loose b/c it is so run first and when the run gets stuffed then our offense is clueless and this reflects on the OC and HC.

Same thing for PC he ran great against Sun Belt Competition, and was a holding call and trip away from a huge game in NO.

Ramon needs to start looking good in OOC games, of course that depends on if DD gives him the thumbs up or not.

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to bring this up...and you couldn't be more wrong. USM whooped our o-line's butts from start to finish, period. It wouldn't have mattered if we had run the west coast we would have been demolished. There is no play, and I repeat NO play, that works with at least two men constantly in your backfield. No, not the draw. No, not the quick out either. And especially not play action. Line up five guys across our line that go at least 305 and are quick and then we'll see how bad his play calling is. They were bigger than we were, and faster. That's a recipe for making any OC look bad. Do you think OU's OC should be fired? He got his squad exposed against a faster defense.

And has it never occurred to anyone that we recruit players to the Sun Belt, play in a sub Sun Belt stadium and have Sun Belt financial and attendance support? Flannie plays with the cards he is dealt and has four rings to show for it. Rhett Bomar, Herman Johnson, Reggie Bush and Jason Campbell aren't at North Texas. I'm not totally excusing Flanigan's playcalling, it can be suspect at times, but let's not pretend he's taking chicken salad and making chicken s*(t.

Why? I mean really, what percentage is acceptable? 20%, 36%, 42.8%? What about percentages of Hispanic coaches, or Catholics, or Republican coaches? We have too many 1-A coaches raised in Texas! The selections must always be made on the best candidate available, period.

Considering the majority of black football players at the collegiate level, then there is something very wrong about having black head coaches make up only 2.6% of D1-A head coaches. You can't honestly believe that of the 117 head coaching jobs in D1-A football, that black coaches were the best candidates for only 3 of those jobs. To think that is so narrow minded I really don't know how to respond to it.

Considering the majority of black football players at the collegiate level, then there is something very wrong about having black head coaches make up only 2.6% of D1-A head coaches. You can't honestly believe that of the 117 head coaching jobs in D1-A football, that black coaches were the best candidates for only 3 of those jobs. To think that is so narrow minded I really don't know how to respond to it.

Very well put.

This isn't about his race...it's about his AGE. He's only 30. Not even 1-AA wants to hire someone so young to be a HC.

As far as "moving up" to a "bigger name" D-1 school as OC, they'll shy away from him as well because of his age. And since his is already an OC, anything other than a equal or higher position would be a step down.

He just needs to be patient...and realize his youth is his problem right now.

DD has won 4 consecutive D1 Conference Championships, yet he is not getting any offers. So is that because he is white, or maybe, just maybe, that it is possibly due to his bad OOC record...

To infer that RF should be getting offers, when DD can't, should at least make one consider that maybe race isn't the primary factor in this case.

I agree that there are too few minorities in coaching, but to require (or infer/suggest) an institution to hire someone simply based on race would be just as wrong.

In most cases, superior performance will result in personal advancement of one's career, regardless of race.

First, why aren't there more white college football players? Oh, the best players get the spots? I see, that's how it works. Is that fair?

Now let's consider that as mentioned in the NY Times article that there are not that many black assistant coaches by number but it is increasing. For a 1-A job opening there may be 100+ applicants of which maybe 2.6 % of applicants are black. Until the total of applicants with experience comes up the line then the head coaching percentages will stay about the same. It has nothing to do with bias, it's numbers and experience and not enough yet.