Mason Fine update

Just now, Censored by Laurie said:

imagine if Mason put in as much effort as @NorthTexasWeLove did at learning Excel spreadsheets. he'd be a Hall of Famer

That's just it dumbass... Mason did put in a ton of work... and his reward is holding a jockstrap in Canada. Work has some to do with it, but you imply that it has everything to do with it. If it did, Mason Fine, and players like him would be NFL HoF. But Mason is short with pedestrian arm strength and no amount of "work" was ever going to change that. Your other dumbass implication that people don't work hard at what they do is just a very you thing to say. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 minute ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

That's just it dumbass... Mason did put in a ton of work... and his reward is holding a jockstrap in Canada. Work has some to do with it, but you imply that it has everything to do with it. If it did, Mason Fine, and players like him would be NFL HoF. But Mason is short with pedestrian arm strength and no amount of "work" was ever going to change that. Your other dumbass implication that people don't work hard at what they do is just a very you thing to say. 

so you haven't even mastered Excel? damn. that's rough, dog. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 4

3 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Yeah..  no reply of worth. No refute. Now you're going to insults because you're standing there with nothing to say with substance. 

you're the one not wiling to share what you've done for a living that has clearly been more intensive than what a D1 college football player has invested in their trade. until you want to do an actual examination of effort, than ya...imma stick to bits

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

1 minute ago, Censored by Laurie said:

you're the one not wiling to share what you've done for a living that has clearly been more intensive than what a D1 college football player has invested in their trade. until you want to do an actual examination of effort, than ya...imma stick to bits

This isn't about me. This is about the debate in which we're having. It's a debate you easily lost and you chose bits as an off ramp. But keep to your bits, buddy. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

This isn't about me. This is about the debate in which we're having. It's a debate you easily lost and you chose bits as an off ramp. But keep to your bits, buddy. 

if you'd just say you've never put in the same work/effort/commitment as 17 year old HS senior getting D1 offers, this whole "debate" would end itself. 

maybe I'm wrong. maybe you're on the brink of curing cancer. I'm not sure...you know, since you won't share what it is you do. 

• Upvote 3
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 4

You know, some of these kids are just more talented than everybody else.  It sometimes has nothing to do with hard work.  I have a cousin who plays at a ranked P4 college baseball team and his parents will even admit that he doesn’t work hard and never has.  He was blessed with the ability to throw a baseball 90+ miles an hour and throw strikes.  Is this the majority?  Of course not, but there are plenty like him.

Edited by NT93
  • Upvote 4

7 hours ago, NT93 said:

I gave you a personal example of it being true. 

no, you gave an anecdote of kid who coiuld've been Joe Montana, but may only top out at Cooper Rush bc of a lack of work ethic compared to his peers. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

52 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

no, you gave an anecdote of kid who coiuld've been Joe Montana, but may only top out at Cooper Rush bc of a lack of work ethic compared to his peers. 

Here’s a couple more anecdotes for you to spin:
I coached a kid that played basketball at Wichita St.  Average work ethic, tons of talent.
I also coached a kid that played football at UT.  Average to above average work ethic, elite talent.

I doubt most D1 players don’t work any harder than their high school teammates, they just have more talent.  I would even say that many less talented players have to work harder just to be able to get on the field.  

I know there are a few high school coaches on the board.  I’d love to hear their experience.

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Easy now, he memorized a drink menu for his occupation.

• Haha 3

49 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Easy now, he memorized a drink menu for his occupation.

six-figures
complete job autonomy
ownership stake
time for 60-70 rounds of golf a year (in a place with about an 8 month season)
a month or so of remote work in south america every winter
one of the most vibrant food and drink scenes in the country 
living in one of the prettiest states in the country
and the liver of someone 20 years my elder

all with the self-awareness that a D1 athlete has invested a lot more hours and energy into their craft than I have. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

57 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

six-figures
complete job autonomy
ownership stake

all with the self-awareness that a D1 athlete has invested a lot more hours and energy into their craft than I have. 

Uh huh... but what is it that you DO. 

• Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 2

2 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

six-figures
complete job autonomy
ownership stake

I don't know how to put this but I'm kind of a big deal. People know me. I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Anchorman GIF

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

six-figures
complete job autonomy
ownership stake

Hilarious. You were just chomping at the bit to have someone ask or comment on your occupation so you could post this. Feel better now?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

On 5/24/2024 at 1:18 PM, Censored by Laurie said:

six-figures
complete job autonomy
ownership stake

Yeah but are you truly happy? Because the other dudes in this thread have a consistent and contagious joyful spirit that pulls in others that I know you’re absolutely envious of. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

If you were telling a Canadian fan that you have the best seats in the stadium, would you say, “I’m inside the 50s.”  Or, “I’m on the ‘C’.  Is there a “54 yard line” in Canadian FB ?  Or two of them ?  Eh ?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, rcade said:

I didn't open this thread expecting a war. Can we change the subject to something less controversial like the band wearing shorts?

It just takes one or two hijackers to ruin the board for everyone.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

On 5/24/2024 at 1:18 PM, Censored by Laurie said:

six-figures
complete job autonomy
ownership stake

Let's be 100% transparent.  Our situation is apples and Oranges to theirs. We learn on the job and we have a ceiling. Most of our careers will max at what...250k? 300 at most unless you are a Harvard educated CEO. Most of us probably started in the 40k range. That's Pickles compared to their starting peanuts.

Athletes have insane competition just to get hired, have a super high ceiling, but also a super short shelf life (unless you're Aaron Fing Rodgers. Please die already). The investment is before they get hired, and the potential is (imho) insane.

There's no comparison here. Best not to try.

Edited by Udomann
  • Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

On 5/24/2024 at 9:23 PM, UNTLifer said:

Hilarious. You were just chomping at the bit to have someone ask or comment on your occupation so you could post this. Feel better now?

Pitchers around here throwing softballs, and then they mock the batter for taking the swing.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1