Noland To New Mexico

I'll miss CJ.
Those of you saying it's a "lateral move" have never been to a game in the Pit, or have any knowledge of the overall CBB landscape, with MWC basketball being a very respected conference.   They have a rabid fanbase, and I'm willing to bet the bump in NIL is noticeable.

The Pit is an incredible facility that I hope NT's new arena will be modeled after.   I got to take in the NT victory over UNM back in McCasland's 2nd year.   One of my favorite memories of NT Sports.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

26 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I'll miss CJ.
Those of you saying it's a "lateral move" have never been to a game in the Pit, or have any knowledge of the overall CBB landscape, with MWC basketball being a very respected conference.   They have a rabid fanbase, and I'm willing to bet the bump in NIL is noticeable.

The Pit is an incredible facility that I hope NT's new arena will be modeled after.   I got to take in the NT victory over UNM back in McCasland's 2nd year.   One of my favorite memories of NT Sports.

We get you are a closet New Mexico fan but noone l know cares that much about them.  Sure they have more fans at games but there is frankly nothing else to do there.  We have fielded a much more competitive program than they have recently.

• Upvote 4
  • RV 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 3

25 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I'll miss CJ.

What new arena? Until the smoke clears and the P5 and G5 programs truly separate I would be very reluctant to spend millions on bricks and sticks if I am UNT. The 70 or so P5 programs are going to take most if not all the tv money with them when they go and basically the G5 programs will be gate revenue sports as well as a farm system for the rich and famous.

• Upvote 5
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

31 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I'll miss CJ.

I was one that said it was a lateral move.  My comparison is on court success.

We should fill the SP and it should be rocking

C.J. must like ugly women and limited access for fun as well.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, Dannymacfan said:

We get you are a closet New Mexico fan but noone l know cares that much about them.  Sure they have more fans at games but there is frankly nothing else to do there.  We have fielded a much more competitive program than they have recently.

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952qmcfy5jx9czduhypdva

If you're a basketball player, aren't you more concerned with basketball goings-on, like gameday atmosphere, level of competition, opportunities to play for championships, etc...?

Also:
UNT finished this past season 19-15 with a NET ranking of 79 (7th in AAC)
UNM finished this past season 26-10, with a NET ranking of 22 and an at-large 11 seed in the NCAA tournament as the 6th place finisher in the MWC.   Seems like maybe the NCAA tournament selection committee "cares about them".

Given the above, it would seem UMN's program is a little more "competitive recently".

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Also:
UNT finished this past season 19-15 with a NET ranking of 79 (7th in AAC)
UNM finished this past season 26-10, with a NET ranking of 22 and an at-large 11 seed in the NCAA tournament as the 6th place finisher in the MWC.   Seems like maybe the NCAA tournament selection committee "cares about them".

Given the above, it would seem UMN's program is a little more "competitive recently".

Recent Records/Success:

22-23 Season

UNM: L 1st round of NIT

NT: Won the NIT

21-22 Season

UNM: 13-19

NT: 25-7; L 2nd round of NIT

20-21 Season

UNM: 6-16

NT: 18-10; Beat #3 Purdue in opening round of NCAA before falling to VIllanova

19-20 Season

UNM: 19-14

NT: 20-11

Post seasons cancelled.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Ray 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

The Elephant in the room (IMO) is our lack of attendance.  Let's not stop talking about it.  ABQ is an awful, boring town.  But the bball culture - specifically attendance - is what we are striving for.  If that was in Denton, the SP would be selling out regularly under Grant/Ross.

And, if I'm Jared, I'm not getting complacent.  The opposite: i'm getting angry.  Fired up.   i'm not going to give in to Denton being Denton.  Fight it or let the next guy try.

These things should be huge motivators.

• Upvote 7
  • RV 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

The Elephant in the room (IMO) is our lack of attendance.  Let's not stop talking about it.  ABQ is an awful, boring town.  But the bball culture - specifically attendance - is what we are striving for.  If that was in Denton, the SP would be selling out regularly under Grant/Ross.

And, if I'm Jared, I'm not getting complacent.  The opposite: i'm getting angry.  Fired up.   i'm not going to give in to Denton being Denton.  Fight it or let the next guy try.

These things should be huge motivators.

I poste dthis in another thread, but will repost here.  Did we not see an increase in attendance?  I saw postings on that here on this site as I recall?  Maybe I am mistaken.

• Eye Roll 3

1 hour ago, cousin oliver said:

I poste dthis in another thread, but will repost here.  Did we not see an increase in attendance?  I saw postings on that here on this site as I recall?  Maybe I am mistaken.

There was an increase from an abysmal number to a higher abysmal number. Getting 4k in a Saturday game and being happy about it is pretty sad. And I have never understood people looking at other cities and saying, "They are able to draw because there is nothing to do." That's a total bs scapegoat excuse. There's the same ole crap to do there than there is anywhere else: overpaying for 'craft' beer, shopping at aesthetically pleasing dumb outside malls, movies, bars, restaurants, museums, etc. ABQ has all of that. ABQ also offers scenery and 2 hours from fantastic skiing. Dallas offers zero scenery or winter sports to speak of. If anything, ABQ is low key underrated. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

There was an increase from an abysmal number to a higher abysmal number. Getting 4k in a Saturday game and being happy about it is pretty sad. And I have never understood people looking at other cities and saying, "They are able to draw because there is nothing to do." That's a total bs scapegoat excuse. There's the same ole crap to do there than there is anywhere else: overpaying for 'craft' beer, shopping at aesthetically pleasing dumb outside malls, movies, bars, restaurants, museums, etc. ABQ has all of that. ABQ also offers scenery and 2 hours from fantastic skiing. Dallas offers zero scenery or winter sports to speak of. If anything, ABQ is low key underrated. 

The athletic department just absolutely sucks at promoting.....they can't even get a t-shirt cannon to work. The only thing they do to promote is a free Chik-Fil-A sandwich or a student has a chance to win a 40-inch tv. 

Edited by Big Z
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Albuquerque has a lot of tourism videos out there.  Hell, my wife and I just went through there recently and stopped at Petroglyphs National Monument and took the Sandia Tramway.  I LOVE Denton, but Denton doesn't have a National Monument or a tramway that goes up to 10,300 feet to watch the sunset.  Albuquerque's also an hour away from Santa Fe which is a great place to visit.  

Would I rather live there than Denton? No.

But I can see why many would and I can definitely see why a 20 year old would.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

9 minutes ago, CMJ said:

But I can see why many would and I can definitely see why a 20 year old would.

Noland didn’t choose ABQ for national monuments, tramways or winter entertainment. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

11 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Noland didn’t choose ABQ for national monuments, tramways or winter entertainment. 

My point is the place isn't just a lousy city where nothing is going on (which has been used both to say there is nothing but basketball to do there or why would anyone go there) like has been bandied about.  More people visit there for tourism in a given year than Denton probably gets in ten.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

18 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Recent Records/Success:

22-23 Season

UNM: L 1st round of NIT

NT: Won the NIT

21-22 Season

UNM: 13-19

NT: 25-7; L 2nd round of NIT

20-21 Season

UNM: 6-16

NT: 18-10; Beat #3 Purdue in opening round of NCAA before falling to VIllanova

19-20 Season

UNM: 19-14

NT: 20-11

Post seasons cancelled.

That's weird,  I guess the most recently completed season doesn't count?
I'm sorry Lifer, but everything prior to 21-22 (when Pitino showed up at UNM), and honestly, prior to 23-24 (when Hodge took over at UNT) needs to be removed when comparing the two teams for players who are actually playing RIGHT NOW.   Those other programs belonged to different people.

When talking about recent success for dudes who are considering playing for both schools, the only thing that matters is this past year and future predictive success (re: momentum).  Unfortunately, NT is on the wrong side of both of those factors as of right now.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

That's weird,  I guess the most recently completed season doesn't count?
I'm sorry Lifer, but everything prior to 21-22 (when Pitino showed up at UNM), and honestly, prior to 23-24 (when Hodge took over at UNT) needs to be removed when comparing the two teams for players who are actually playing RIGHT NOW.   Those other programs belonged to different people.

When talking about recent success for dudes who are considering playing for both schools, the only thing that matters is this past year and future predictive success (re: momentum).  Unfortunately, NT is on the wrong side of both of those factors as of right now.

I didn’t feel the need to include the most recently completed season since it was in your post directly above mine. 

I disagree with the remainder of your post. Good programs survive coaching changes. 

• Puking Eagle 1

8 hours ago, CMJ said:

My point is the place isn't just a lousy city where nothing is going on (which has been used both to say there is nothing but basketball to do there or why would anyone go there) like has been bandied about.  More people visit there for tourism in a given year than Denton probably gets in ten.

I don't understand the debate. When people say there is so much to do in DFW in comparison to other places when excusing our poor alum turnout for basically everything... like what? What is there to do? Something that is unique to DFW that keeps our alum so occupied event after event? To isolate it further to Denton is laughable... 

Speaking on ABQ specifically, the only benefit UNM has over UNT is there are no professional sports to get behind. But generally from my experiences, most people are typically diehard college OR pro fans. Not a lot of diehard both. Outside of that, give me AQB. Better city with more actual things to do, especially if you're an outdoorsman. Way prettier. Deeper rooted in culture. I mean, I guess if you like cities developed on top of former prairieland, farm fields, and cow pastures then DFW is definitely for you. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

5 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I mean, I guess if you like cities developed on top of former prairieland, farm fields, and cow pastures then DFW is definitely for you. 

As opposed to being developed on top of former desert land, cactus and rattlesnake domain?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3
  • Downvote 1

19 hours ago, CMJ said:

Denton is not a stand alone city, it's part of DFW.  More people come to DFW than ABQ for tourism.   But this is not about tourism and not about UNM. 

For Nolan it's only about the $.   That's what it's about for all of them.  Most came to UNT from another college, which tells me we can draw other players again after they leave.  There's always more players wanting opportunity.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

17 hours ago, NT80 said:

Denton is not a stand alone city, it's part of DFW.  More people come to DFW than ABQ for tourism.   But this is not about tourism and not about UNM. 

For Nolan it's only about the $.   That's what it's about for all of them.  Most came to UNT from another college, which tells me we can draw other players again after they leave.  There's always more players wanting opportunity.

Well, if you're going that route I'd argue they aren't a stand alone city either given many people do both them and Santa Fe since they're about an hour away from each other.  Throw in all the other places that aren't too far away like Taos, the National Forest, etc. and there's plenty to see and do in that part of the country.

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1