Should we go mainly high school?

1 minute ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I don't understand the question.  Are you saying we can offer better NIL deals than the schools that used to sign this type of player?  If not, it seems we'll get less of a sniff than ever.

The bigger schools seem to be going mainly with NIL players and that leaves better high school players who we normally wouldn't be able to land to be available.  I am asking should we lean into going after those high school players even though it could take them a year or two to gel?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

You just get the best player available and build with a one-year plan. You can’t count on any of these kids to play for you beyond one season. 
I would be hard-pressed to find any school in the country that has been hit harder by transfer portal defections in football and men’s basketball this school year than North Texas. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

Recruiting should be more straightforward, after this convid year exception has expired. 

Recruit players that can't leave without sitting out a year if they transfer.   This should be most high school players unless  there is some way to circumvent that rule. 

In basketball, with so much NT turnover; NT is going to have to hit the transfer portile and juco's to get the majority of their players.  

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

In basketball, with so much NT turnover; NT is going to have to hit the transfer portile and juco's to get the majority of their players.  

We should drop HS recruiting in basketball.  HS kids are too much risk if they will adapt to the college game (Matthew Stone).  Kids already playing at the JUCO or college level (Jason Edwards) are more mature and you can evaluate their college-level game better.

• Upvote 6

On 4/2/2024 at 9:44 AM, MeanGreenZen said:

You just get the best player available and build with a one-year plan. You can’t count on any of these kids to play for you beyond one season. 
I would be hard-pressed to find any school in the country that has been hit harder by transfer portal defections in football and men’s basketball this school year than North Texas. 

I would check out Tech under Mac. I think pretty much their whole starting 5 entered the portal.

Those top HS recruits are not planning to play college ball for 4 years, they want to be in a top program where they noticed and can go play pro ball.   most of those players are coming from top HS programs, that are coached as well as some college programs. 

there are also a lot of talented HS players, that have not had the benefit of playing under quality coaches.  those players may take some time to come around to the college game. 

I dont see UNT being able to attract those players right out of high school at the moment.  however a lot of those players become available later down the road as transfers.

• Upvote 1