Will we have anymore HOF players

15 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Rubin is a very good player, but nowhere near the level to have a jersey in the rafters.  IMO you would have to have multiple all conference first team honors or be a player with national accolades

I don't remember who currently has that honor, I know it was only Mitchell and Reedes for a long time. 

Who should be there IMO, Mitchell, Joe Hamilton, Kenneth Lyons, and Tyler Perry

Rubin will leave North Texas with a NCAA tournament win, 2 conference titles, NIT title, and most program wins all time. And could/probably will add to that. That deserves to be recognized. Tylor only being here 2 years makes it a tough call for me. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Rubin Jones has been a stalwart during his time here, but retiring a number is well beyond the HOF.  I'm not sure I'd retire anyone's jersey since I've followed UNT and I grew up in Denton with with two alumni parents.  At the very least I'd have to really, really think about it.  It's not just about what numbers you put up, but it's about what you mean to the school.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I am a huge Rubin fan, but there are a few other jerseys that should be retired before his. 

Haha. Guess I upset someone with my opinion. Hilarious. 
One Jersey I would like to see up there is Joe Hamilton. 

2 hours ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Jersey in rafters does not equal jersey retirement. Chris Davis has a banner but people still wear #5

This is new to me.  I thought retiring a jersey/number was synonymous with "hanging a jersey from the rafter"

So, what does it mean? If it's not HOF, and it's not retiring the jersey.

I forgot about Davis.  Wasn't his jersey hung after he was put in the HOF?

Edited by greenminer

4 hours ago, greenminer said:

This is new to me.  I thought retiring a jersey/number was synonymous with "hanging a jersey from the rafter"

So, what does it mean? If it's not HOF, and it's not retiring the jersey.

I forgot about Davis.  Wasn't his jersey hung after he was put in the HOF?

The Davis banner has his active years and the year he was inducted in the HOF. It’s him, Lyons, and Jalie that has HOF/jersey banners. 

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

Hanging jerseys in the Super Pit when they are not retired.  Are we the only ones that do this, or are there other programs?  @CMJ?

I think UNC does it too.  I remember reading Duke fans giving them a hard time about it once.

On 3/6/2024 at 12:32 PM, MeanGreen22 said:

Rubin will leave North Texas with a NCAA tournament win, 2 conference titles, NIT title, and most program wins all time. And could/probably will add to that. That deserves to be recognized. Tylor only being here 2 years makes it a tough call for me. 

Rubin again is a great NT player and certainly deserves recognition.   However, I can easily name twenty past NT players who I would put ahead of him for displaying his jersey in the SPit.   

It takes more than longevity, do you really think he deserves it more than: Hamlin, Perry, Joe Hamilton, Leroy Winfield, Tristan Thompson, Josh White, Roosevelt Smart, Kenneth Williams, Willie Davis, Fred Mitchell, etc. etc.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 minute ago, GrandGreen said:

Rubin again is a great NT player and certainly deserves recognition.   However, I can easily name twenty past NT players who I would put ahead of him for displaying his jersey in the SPit.   

It takes more than longevity, do you really think he deserves it more than: Hamlin, Perry, Joe Hamilton, Leroy Winfield, Tristan Thompson, Josh White, Roosevelt Smart, Kenneth Williams, Willie Davis, Fred Mitchell, etc. etc.  

Im Not No Way GIF

I liked Smart but he only had one good year and then couldn’t hit anything. 

On 3/7/2024 at 10:21 AM, MeanGreen22 said:

Jersey in rafters does not equal jersey retirement. Chris Davis has a banner but people still wear #5

So what does it take to have your jersey hung in the rafters? John Savage was 1st team all MVC twice in the early 60's when the conference was one of the best basketball conferences around and consisted of Cincy,Drake, Bradley,and  Wichita just to name a few. In addition Savage was named honorable mention All American which I don't think Davis was.

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

Look at the stats of that one year and you might change your mind. 

It was one year. That is my issue. He didn’t sustain his success and became a bench player. 

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

It was one year. That is my issue. He didn’t sustain his success and became a bench player. 

The point is that in that one year he accomplished more than most college players ever do.

You seem to have missed the main point, relative to jersey hanging in the court;  You picked out one of a list that you disagree that does not deserve that honor more than Jones.  It seems you agree with the main idea that there are many NT basketball players that had better careers than Rubin.  

11 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

The point is that in that one year he accomplished more than most college players ever do.

You seem to have missed the main point, relative to jersey hanging in the court;  You picked out one of a list that you disagree that does not deserve that honor more than Jones.  It seems you agree with the main idea that there are many NT basketball players that had better careers than Rubin.  

Find my first post in this thread for your answer.