SMU (1/25/24)

CMJ

11 minutes ago, Shark84 said:

For those of you who are season ticket holders, get ready to have Smut fans buying up tickets next to you. It is beneath them to sit in general admission seats. I'm sure the ushers won't be checking tickets and people will sit wherever they want to.  It will also be interesting to see if we have more than two gates to enter. Expect long lines to get in and at the concession stands. 

Smut fans (is there such a thing?) don’t travel out of their zip code, especially on a Thursday night.

• Upvote 7

50 minutes ago, Shark84 said:

For those of you who are season ticket holders, get ready to have Smut fans buying up tickets next to you. It is beneath them to sit in general admission seats. I'm sure the ushers won't be checking tickets and people will sit wherever they want to.  It will also be interesting to see if we have more than two gates to enter. Expect long lines to get in and at the concession stands. 

Wait, you expect these guys to actually travel for a game?   

If they do, I’m sure we can handle all 7 of them being somewhere in the Super Pit

31F6269A-5AF2-4045-9770-5E8F9CFF4E6B.jpeg

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Zeleny' Orel said:

So what would it take to get them to stay that hasn't been tried?

Lock them in Super Pit cages until after the game ("Lock The Gate", amiright?)
Shut down the rest of Denton
Put something in their drinks
nickle beers, only available at said price after halftime

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

You have to give our administration credit, I can't remember the last time they've worked this hard, to get students and fans out. I have received numerous emails and texts, from our people about this game. SMU brings out the sense of urgency in UNT.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Shark84 said:

Sounds like we will have between 7-8 thousand at the game. A lot of the total will depend on how many students actually show up. Should be a great environment. GMG

Gonna be a hefty crowd. I’d encourage everyone to get there early, grab a beer, and get rowdy. 

• Upvote 7

40 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

I'm still not holding my breath on over 5K (actual butts). The students hopefully show with it being a weeknight but a 6pm start will hurt the alumni turnout I fear.

Unless season ticket holder attendance is abysmal, 5k should be an easy hit from what I’ve been told. 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

Wow, no mentions of this being our Super Bowl. I'm shocked.

That's one of the "go to" phrases that's always annoyed in regards to college basketball (not even related to SMU).  It would be our National Title Game in that scenario, not Super Bowl. 🙂

I really would like to defeat the Mustangs, but it's not a bigger game than many others we've played in recent years. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, CMJ said:

That's one of the "go to" phrases that's always annoyed in regards to college basketball (not even related to SMU).  It would be our National Title Game in that scenario, not Super Bowl. 🙂

I really would like to defeat the Mustangs, but it's not a bigger game than many others we've played in recent years. 

I agree. Personally I viewed Charlotte as a bigger game simply because they beat us last year. UAB and Rice are others I'm looking forward to more than SMU for basketball reasons. This doesn't include the obvious big games against FAU, Memphis, and recent postseason games we've played. For local press, this is likely a big game though. 

Edited by GMG_Dallas

24 minutes ago, UNTX said:

Any update on status of Jones and Buggs?

Posted yesterday on twitter barring any set-backs in practice yesterday they had done what they need, to be able to play in the game today.  I am really hoping the crud that has taken over my house goes away throughout the day.  All 4 of mine are down with feeling bad.  If we don't make the game we will be yelling at the tv.  Here's to hoping!

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, CMJ said:

Such a lazy excuse for fans who think their team might lose.

• Upvote 1