Charlotte (1/20/24)

CMJ

Obviously different year/different team, but last year we played them twice... we absolutely smoked them the first game in Denton (67-43) and then went to Charlotte and lost a head scratcher that probably kept us out of the NCAA tournament(55-49).

Charlotte went on to win the CBI and is playing well again this year. They dropped their conference opener to SMU, then turned around and beat ranked FAU. I don't see any other notable wins on their schedule, although for some reason they played Stetson twice in non-conference? They split that series (great nickname by the way... the Hatters)

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

Going on seven straight good years, I want to know how long it's gonna take for the national media to give us the benefit of the doubt. When will we be able to lose 7 games in a season and still earn an at-large even if we don't win the conference tournament?

FAU has one good season/deep run and they are still ranked after losing to Charlotte last week, and they were only 11-4 after the L.

Although they're losing badly at #5 Houston right now, Coach Mac's 14-2 Tech team just now crawled into the rankings at #25.

• Upvote 4

44 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

Going on seven straight good years, I want to know how long it's gonna take for the national media to give us the benefit of the doubt. When will we be able to lose 7 games in a season and still earn an at-large even if we don't win the conference tournament?

FAU has one good season/deep run and they are still ranked after losing to Charlotte last week, and they were only 11-4 after the L.

Although they're losing badly at #5 Houston right now, Coach Mac's 14-2 Tech team just now crawled into the rankings at #25.

Well, FAU also had some tough games this year (Illinois, Arizona) which is taken into account too.  Strength of schedule will give benefit of the doubt in the rankings.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, CMJ said:

Well, FAU also had some tough games this year (Illinois, Arizona) which is taken into account too.  Strength of schedule will give benefit of the doubt in the rankings.

If FAU hadn't have made that run last year, but had the same schedule this year and same results, do you think they'd be ranked at 13-4 in the AAC?

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Matt from A700 said:

If FAU hadn't have made that run last year, but had the same schedule this year and same results, do you think they'd be ranked at 13-4 in the AAC?

Probably not, but perhaps.  Boise State isn't ranked, but there're within shouting distance of being so with 5 losses and no wins over teams currently ranked.

• Upvote 1
  • Pissed 1

6 minutes ago, CMJ said:

Probably not, but perhaps.  Boise State isn't ranked, but there're within shouting distance of being so with 5 losses and no wins over teams currently ranked.

Yeah I agree we shouldn't be ranked at our current record. It just seems FAU came in from nowhere and already gained that respect we've been craving. We would wet our pants just to be receiving Top 25 votes.

If we had finished out a few more games, and stood at 13-3 instead, do you think we'd be ranked? Or even receive votes?

Edited by Matt from A700
  • Upvote 3

I forgot, I'll actually have to miss the game because I'm taking my brother to lunch for his birthday (observed anyway - it's actually next week) that afternoon.  Guess I'll see the score afterward.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Both losses are starting to have a little shine. Boise recently beat a very good Nevada team and LSU beat a ranked Old Piss tonight. Both should've been wins, particularly Boise (And Fordham). The season is shaping up to be successful and a continuation of our run of success, but could've been a great year (and still can be). 

Agreed. We need to get healthy in a hurry though. We’re going to get several NET Quad 1 & Top 25 win opportunities in the next couple of weeks. If we wanna get into that Boise fringe At Large/Top 25 calibre team, we’re going to have to take advantage of those. Would be a huge ask running short handed the way we currently are.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, CMJ said:

I forgot, I'll actually have to miss the game because I'm taking my brother to lunch for his birthday (observed anyway - it's actually next week) that afternoon.  Guess I'll see the score afterward.

Your brother will have another birthday next year.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, CMJ said:

Take him to a sports bar - most bars now have ESPN + 

Unless ya'll are going to Applebees for Dollaritas and cheap laughs

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Big Z said:

Take him to a sports bar - most bars now have ESPN + 

Unless ya'll are going to Applebees for Dollaritas and cheap laughs

LOL - he gets to decide.  The party is going to an Italian place he likes.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

8 minutes ago, CMJ said:

LOL, no he and his girlfriend don't do chains.  

https://villagepizzeria.com/menu/

Village Pizzeria?  OMG!  Where do I start?

The Old Sicilian, aka DeepGreen, says that if you want to eat really good Italian food in New York City, I highly recommend Il Mulino (downtown location).   Be sure to bring lots of cash, or a high dollar credit card.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Big Z said:

Dang this place is all the way in NY

Holy crap - same name different joint.  It's one in Los Angeles -lol.

https://www.villagepizzala.com/menu

My bad, I just typed in the name and wasn't even thinking there'd be another.  I've only been there once (on his birthday a few years ago), but he goes all the time.

Edited by CMJ
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Village Pizzeria?  OMG!  Where do I start?

The Old Sicilian, aka DeepGreen, says that if you want to eat really good Italian food in New York City, I highly recommend Il Mulino (downtown location).   Be sure to bring lots of cash, or a high dollar credit card.

Yeah, I messed up.  Same name, but it's in Los Angeles.  🙂