Major recruiting class jump from ‘23 to ‘24

GoGreenBeans

10 hours ago, drex said:

I CANNOT WAIT FOR NIL VS. TITLE IX, VS. THE IRS...FUN TIMES AHEAD.

This is the problem running NIL thru the university that has been proposed. Can you imagine the cost for paying title IX athletes and also paying athletes in non generating revenue sports. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

This is the problem running NIL thru the university that has been proposed. Can you imagine the cost for paying title IX athletes and also paying athletes in non generating revenue sports. 

If NIL was run through the universities, wouldn’t the $ amounts also have to become public?   If so, what a S-storm that will be. 

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

Dang, man… Some of you can literally find the worst in everything this staff does. I honestly have no idea why some of you even follow this team, much less take time to post here. The thing with recruiting is you just never know anything until they put on the team gear and trot on the field.

Once at a point in time in a galaxy far,far away from North Texas football fans, the DMN looked at the college careers of the top dozen or so highly ranked high school players from the Metroplex. It was surprising to see the number of 4 star players who flamed out in college. I am not saying that I wouldn't like having a few on campus, but sometimes ranking can be misleading . If we had gotten just a little more play out of our defense this year against Navy and Memphis we would have finished 7 & 5 and gone to some piss ant bowl that no one ever heard of , and probably lost. Morris knows the holes that need to be filled so I trust the process. Merry Christmas to all you Mean Green grinches , and have a happy new year.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2

It's going to be harder and harder for programs like ours (and the rest of the G5 for that matter) to survive on the football side of things.  In this age, our path to success will mean hitting on most if not all our transfers.  They need to come in as starters or be on the 2-deep with considerable playing time.  High school recruiting will need to focus on players ready to play as freshmen.  We cannot sustain the expense of developing players in a large redshirt season class year after year.    

• Upvote 4

On 12/23/2023 at 3:02 PM, 97and03 said:

I tend to ignore the class ranking since class size influences it. We are signing a big class, so lots of points. We only had 14 last year, so fewer points.
I prefer to look at average rating of the recruits. At 84.14, we are around 8th in the conference. Hardly overwhelming. 
For comparison, last year was 84.17.

The bottom four guys on the list had no other FBS offers. 

Neither did Landon Sides he turned out to be just fine.  This staff can identify and recruit offensive talent....its the other side of the ball that concerns me the most.

• Upvote 3

On 12/26/2023 at 11:34 AM, keith said:

It's going to be harder and harder for programs like ours (and the rest of the G5 for that matter) to survive on the football side of things.  In this age, our path to success will mean hitting on most if not all our transfers.  They need to come in as starters or be on the 2-deep with considerable playing time.  High school recruiting will need to focus on players ready to play as freshmen.  We cannot sustain the expense of developing players in a large redshirt season class year after year.    

What makes you say this?   I believe what Morris is doing is brilliant.  It may cost him his job but if he can hold on long enough 1 maybe 2 more years he will have talent he would not ever be able to have at UNT playing for UNT.  There are HS Kids we signed in my rough guestimation, close to 3/4 of this HS class that Pre-portal we could not land because 1/2 P5's would have come in late when they didn't get their guy and offer and steal the young man from us.  Now, those same schools are just hammering the portal, making a bunch of these young men available and you have to fight off equal competition (other AAC or CUSA schools).  I also really like it because Morris said something and is standing behind it right or wrong, we *itch and complain about kids not staying at UNT or Flipping commits etc etc. Morris said when he got hired he was going to recruit TX HS talent and he's doing it.  I believe adding 10-12 portal guys is smart because he can address a few areas of need OL, QB, and the back end maybe a DL or 2.   While adding elite talent from the HS level.  

• Upvote 6

On 12/23/2023 at 3:02 PM, 97and03 said:

I tend to ignore the class ranking since class size influences it. We are signing a big class, so lots of points. We only had 14 last year, so fewer points.
I prefer to look at average rating of the recruits. At 84.14, we are around 8th in the conference. Hardly overwhelming. 
For comparison, last year was 84.17.

The bottom four guys on the list had no other FBS offers. 

Both quality and quantity matter. If the staff could be more selective and offer less players, no doubt the average would be higher. But with the amount of spots to fill, nothing wrong with taking some lower rated projects that ultimately bring the average down. 

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2

On 12/23/2023 at 10:29 PM, NorthTexasWeLove said:

The spin. 

The reality. 

I would  say that both of these things had some truth to it. Yes the players brought in this year are actually not much better on average. In that regard it truely is just treading water and actually adding turnover. There is no ranking for the transfer-out classes, but if there was i fear UNT would also be ranked high because of both volume and quality.

On the other hand its much harder to bring in 40 guys of a certain caliber than only 14. The staff sure did its work in that regard. And I tend to ignore if the bottom 3 recruits had little to no offers, because I am ok if the coaching staff has the believ in themselves they can find a a small hand full of diamonds in the rough that they think  other staffs didn't assess properly. I would be concerned if they thought they could pull of a good roster if 30% their class fit that description.

• Upvote 3