Off-Season Observations- R-E-L-A-X

jtm0097

7 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Did you know in 2009 we were 24 points away from being 8-4 instead of 2-10? We were only 17 points from being 7-5. We were 13 points from bowl eligibility. 

Todd Dodge was fired in the middle of 2010 with a 1-6 record. Two of those losses were by a single point. A 3rd loss was by 5 points while being forced to play a walkon wide receiver at quarterback due to injuries. He was a mere 7 points from a winning record and being 4-3 at the time of his firing despite his team being eviscerated by injuries.

Close games and moral victories mean nothing. I am not impressed with this staff thus far and they have shown me nothing that says they can take this team higher than the guy we fired.

Yeah, I had friends on the team and I was finishing up my degree in 2009.

We could go down this rabbit hole all day if you wanted. Seth was a .500 coach, 0-2 in conference championships, and 0-5 in bowl games. He also won 5 games his first year at North Texas.

Right now is the time for this staff to impress the fan base. They are rebuilding the roster. If we fail next year, it is on them. The roster will have their finger prints on it. Changes are coming as a result of their actions. I certainly hope they're good changes.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Did you know in 2009 we were 24 points away from being 8-4 instead of 2-10? We were only 17 points from being 7-5. We were 13 points from bowl eligibility. 

Todd Dodge was fired in the middle of 2010 with a 1-6 record. Two of those losses were by a single point. A 3rd loss was by 5 points while being forced to play a walkon wide receiver at quarterback due to injuries. He was a mere 7 points from a winning record and being 4-3 at the time of his firing despite his team being eviscerated by injuries.

Close games and moral victories mean nothing. I am not impressed with this staff thus far and they have shown me nothing that says they can take this team higher than the guy we fired.

This!  We were also 13 points this year from being 2-10. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 2

This is the same story line every coach NT has had. Right now "I" feel Morris (other G5 HFC's) are in a world of hurt. Guess this time next year we'll find out if Morris can navigate the "New" college football land scape...a re-build every year unless changes are made or have plenty of cash.

Edited by RBP79
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I've seen you make this same argument several times now.   

I'm curious, when you've broken up with a girlfriend did you break up because it was time to move on from the relationship or did you say "I don't feel like this is working, but I'll reserve judgement on how badly things are broken until I'm into my next relationship"?   

• Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

I've seen you make this same argument several times now.   

I'm curious, when you've broken up with a girlfriend did you break up because it was time to move on from the relationship or did you say "I don't feel like this is working, but I'll reserve judgement on how badly things are broken until I'm into my next relationship"?   

Haha Emmitt I will answer with this.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, rcade said:

There is one thing I am hanging my hat on as a Mean Green fan: Morris delivered a fantastic offense in his first season. Give me more of that with even an average defense next year and we're looking good Mr. Kotter.

I'm not sure I can hang my hat on that without Chandler Rogers.  I think the offense will be *good*, but it's going to be hard to match 3,383 yards (not even starting the whole season!) and 29 TDs against 5 picks.

17 minutes ago, keith said:

Will the excuse next year be that he's only had "his players" for less than a year?  They need time in "his system" to jell, then we will really start to see improvement.  

No, because due to the current state of college football he won't have many of "his players" after next year*

*Well, I mean he'll have a brand-new batch of "his players" but not the same "his players" that he will have next year and definitely different from "his players" that he will have in two years.  

• Sad 1

The hardest thing for me to adjust to as a fan is that every year is a crapshoot. I remember driving to Denton for the Cal game with friends saying, I have no idea what to expect. New quarterback new coach…that is every year now.

Just need to see what shows up have some fun and hope for the best. Hold accountable if they don’t deliver but the days of having an idea of what to expect Labor Day weekend seem long gone. 

GMG 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1