CUSA/Liberty to a NY6 Bowl Game?

El Paso Eagle

While I wanted the AAC to earn the last access bowl spot, I always rejoice in seeing SMU get screwed. FSU might feel like they've had the worst day ever, but SMU has a strong case too. Today the ponies not only got passed over for a less deserving Liberty team, but also watch their future conference get demoted. SMU is ponying up $500 million and losing 9 years of revenue to join an ACC whose undefeated champion wasn't deemed good enough for the playoffs. Imagine how worse it will be once FSU, Clemson, North Carolina, & Virginia all leave and the ACC features a lesser lineup. Today the playoff committee ushered in the new age of the P3. Congratulations SMU on getting left out again... and paying for it.  😁

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, dodgefan said:

Liberty had the 133rd ranked strength of schedule, SMU was 80th. The AAC is sending our 17th ranked Champion to play a 6-6 Boston College team in their backyard. The Fenway Bowl, is where our conference could send a team that has six or seven wins, not our conference champion. If anyone questioned, why SMU paid the money to get out of this conference, you don't have to wonder anymore.

Meh. SOS is a matter of man made data points. Means nothing. NMSU pushed Auburn around like little bitches. A week later AU snatched defeat out of the mouth of victory vs Bama. Another week later Liberty smacks NMSU around again to the tune of 712 offensive yards. And there is varying examples of this spread out all through the country every year. 

• Eye Roll 2

2 hours ago, dodgefan said:

Liberty had the 133rd ranked strength of schedule, SMU was 80th. The AAC is sending our 17th ranked Champion to play a 6-6 Boston College team in their backyard. The Fenway Bowl, is where our conference could send a team that has six or seven wins, not our conference champion. If anyone questioned, why SMU paid the money to get out of this conference, you don't have to wonder anymore.

And there is BC showing what you can look forward to in the ACC.

• Upvote 1

ESPN FPI rankings of the 5 G5 champions.

20 SMU

45 Troy*

46 Boise State

49 Liberty

71 Miami (OH)

So much for the highest rated G5 champion. Liberty did not play a P5 team and doesn't have any P5 on future schedules until 2027 when they start a three for one with Virginia Tech. So they aren't going to amass a well regarded schedule but they do have a softer path to undefeated. 

I suspect had NCAA not imposed the waiting period and JMU had been able to play for the Sun Belt title, being 12-1 might have got them in.

* The Sun Belt champ would have rated higher but the NCAA a few years ago in a potentially antitrust violating manner declared a two year boycott of teams moving from FCS to FBS (note that both Nevada and Marshall had previously played in the FCS playoffs one season and bowls the next). Because of that boycott JMU couldn't play in the Sun Belt title game. JMU finished 37 and whomever won between Troy and JMU would have finished higher than 45.

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1

On 12/3/2023 at 4:09 PM, dodgefan said:

The Fenway Bowl, is where our conference could send a team that has six or seven wins, not our conference champion. If anyone questioned, why SMU paid the money to get out of this conference, you don't have to wonder anymore.

No.  The lack of respect is totally for Smut.  Tulane would have received a NY6 Bowl had they won.  Smut's image is still tainted. They have No national appeal nor fan support and these Bowls know it!   A perfect sendoff for them!!

You're giving them too much credit. They put practically zero thought into who the G5 team would be beyond "undefeated". They could not care less about Liberty vs SMU vs Troy vs anyone else. They spent all their energy trying to figure out how they would plausibly get out of the mess of no SEC team in the top 4.

The 12 team playoff will resolve this, or at least the FSU screw job.  There's still going to be the issue of what G5 conf champ gets in.

I don't think most of us feel all that disappointed.  We knew after we screwed the pooch against a bad TCU team that this might happen.  Frankly I don't feel it's all that beneficial to the program to get nuked, probably, by Oregon with our backup QB right when we move up.

Edited by DentonStang
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

On 12/4/2023 at 10:00 PM, Arkstfan said:

ESPN FPI rankings of the 5 G5 champions.

20 SMU

45 Troy*

46 Boise State

49 Liberty

71 Miami (OH)

So much for the highest rated G5 champion. Liberty did not play a P5 team and doesn't have any P5 on future schedules until 2027 when they start a three for one with Virginia Tech. So they aren't going to amass a well regarded schedule but they do have a softer path to undefeated. 

I suspect had NCAA not imposed the waiting period and JMU had been able to play for the Sun Belt title, being 12-1 might have got them in.

* The Sun Belt champ would have rated higher but the NCAA a few years ago in a potentially antitrust violating manner declared a two year boycott of teams moving from FCS to FBS (note that both Nevada and Marshall had previously played in the FCS playoffs one season and bowls the next). Because of that boycott JMU couldn't play in the Sun Belt title game. JMU finished 37 and whomever won between Troy and JMU would have finished higher than 45.

You're wasting your time, posting facts on here. Have you read some of the posts, from NT80?

Edited by Tommy Gadberry
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, dodgefan said:

You're wasting your time, posting facts on here. Have you read some of the posts, from lunatics like NT80?

No kidding, and we still have a fan that drools over a past coach that totaled six wins in his career here. Imagine that for a moment. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

16 hours ago, DentonStang said:

You're giving them too much credit. They put practically zero thought into who the G5 team would be beyond "undefeated". They could not care less about Liberty vs SMU vs Troy vs anyone else. They spent all their energy trying to figure out how they would plausibly get out of the mess of no SEC team in the top 4.

The 12 team playoff will resolve this, or at least the FSU screw job.  There's still going to be the issue of what G5 conf champ gets in.

I don't think most of us feel all that disappointed.  We knew after we screwed the pooch against a bad TCU team that this might happen.  Frankly I don't feel it's all that beneficial to the program to get nuked, probably, by Oregon with our backup QB right when we move up.

12 team is same scenario for the G5 as now. Five fighting for a spot. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

No kidding, and we still have a fan that drools over a past coach that totaled six wins in his career here. Imagine that for a moment. 

Like I've said before, I have known Todd and his family for many years, I started buying tickets to UNT games because of him. Todd is great man and did his best to win here, unfortunately, that didn't happen. He still pulls for UNT to do well. Oh, sorry if it hurts your feelings, that I've never bothered to change my posting name.

• Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1

48 minutes ago, dodgefan said:

Like I've said before, I have known Todd and his family for many years, I started buying tickets to UNT games because of him. Todd is great man and did his best to win here, unfortunately, that didn't happen. He still pulls for UNT to do well. Oh, sorry if it hurts your feelings, that I've never bothered to change my posting name.

Just responding to you calling “some posters” on here as lunatics. Could not care less who you like as a coach. 

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

4 hours ago, dodgefan said:

brooklyn-nine-nine-test-results.gif

On 12/7/2023 at 10:50 AM, NT80 said:

brooklyn-nine-nine-test-results.gif

I've been called a dumbass before, for spending money and supporting a school that I have no affiliation with, and that has a handful of fans on this board, that use crutches and blame others, for our failures. So, can't really disagree with you there. By the way, you would probably need to study for a covid test.

• Downvote 1