Tony Mitchell sighting at airport

Ross Hodgeson

40 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

He was the most jaw-dropping player for the Mean Green I personally ever saw.

him and Booger for me.

With Tony, I thought, "There's no way this guy won't be in the NBA."  His presence under the basket was like nothing I had ever seen before, nor seen since he left.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Travis said:

His final year was still arguably the most talented roster we had ever had and in typical North Texas fashion we completely destroy it. 

Tony Mitchell was a fantastic talent.  Unbelievable abilities.  But I think Tony Benford ruined Tony Mitchell in college.  Benford started coaching at NT in 2012 when Mitchell was entering his Soph season.  It was going to be the "best team we ever had on paper"....then Benford totally ruined it on the court.  He had no clue how to sub guys in/out or anything about strategy.  He would just throw his hands up in the air in frustration when something went wrong.  I knew 4 games into his first year as coach we were doomed.  He should have made an assistant the game coach.  

Tony Michell is still playing according to Wikipedia, for the New Taipei Kings.  Wikipedia also talks about his college days and the stats he put up and all his future potential...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Mitchell_(basketball,_born_1992)

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

you ever see Booger hoop? could've been our starting PG on those early JJ teams. 

There's a photo somewhere of Booger and his brothers riding horses.  He could have been on the Polo team too!

12 hours ago, NT80 said:

Tony Mitchell was a fantastic talent.  Unbelievable abilities.  But I think Tony Benford ruined Tony Mitchell in college.  Benford started coaching at NT in 2012 when Mitchell was entering his Soph season.  It was going to be the "best team we ever had on paper"....then Benford totally ruined it on the court.  He had no clue how to sub guys in/out or anything about strategy.  He would just throw his hands up in the air in frustration when something went wrong.  I knew 4 games into his first year as coach we were doomed.  He should have made an assistant the game coach.  

Tony Michell is still playing according to Wikipedia, for the New Taipei Kings.  Wikipedia also talks about his college days and the stats he put up and all his future potential...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Mitchell_(basketball,_born_1992)

i think you meant 3 games... that's when we lost to UAH (University of Alabama-Huntsville, since no one would normally recognize that acronym)

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

i think you meant 3 games... that's when we lost to UAH (University of Alabama-Huntsville, since no one would normally recognize that acronym)

Yes, that was it.  I knew there was an ugly game/opponent in there early.  4 games was just a generalization of how bad his coaching was.  We lost to UTA at the Super Pit a few games later 59-72.  It was downhill from there for 5 years.  Wren was hired as AD before Benford's last contract year, but he wouldn't fire him.  Never understood why, unless we were so poor and couldn't afford it, like now with the pitiful DC.

2 hours ago, L Ron Studdard said:

I was in college at the same time as Tony. He's the most athletic person I've ever been around. He and Chris Jones were absolutely absurd at the rec center. Jones has had a great career in Europe, as well. Wasting those guys on Benford's first year was the low-point for UNT hoops since I've followed.

Would love to see both of them return for the TBT tournament and suit up for Bleed Green.  IIRC, Jones is on board but the logistics of it (coming from overseas, timing, etc) make it really hard to participate.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, L Ron Studdard said:

I was in college at the same time as Tony. He's the most athletic person I've ever been around. He and Chris Jones were absolutely absurd at the rec center. Jones has had a great career in Europe, as well. Wasting those guys on Benford's first year was the low-point for UNT hoops since I've followed.

Same here. Watching Tony in the rec center was a spiritual experience. The way he was used by Benford always annoyed me. 

STORY TIME: when he came he was an ineligible player so he wasn’t technically on the team his first semester here. Which meant he was allowed to play intramurals for our dorm and he would do anything to hoop. So he joined us and our really bad coed team. But he was the coolest about it. He would just hang under the rim and rebound balls and give them to girls to shoot over and over. And for fun he would take mid court shots and hit them as if he were doing a simple ten foot jump shot. 
he was always good natured about it despite knowing we were the worst of the worst. He won us a few games off of half court shots. 
story time 2: for a few games Chris, Tony and like three other guys would come play intramural football with us. We were middle of the road coed rec league team in the residence hall leagues.  I played QB because not a lot of people knew how to organize teams. But when Tony was my receiver he would just run to the endzone and I would throw it up. And I mean UP  and like men among boys he would climb this invisible ladder and comedown with it.  No one had a chance. And if our down and distance ever put us too far back, we would just have our all state QB in Jones to throw these bombs.  
Great memories but if JJ ever found out they joined us he would have murdered them. 

Edited by Travis
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2