North Texas Portal Entry Thread

TheReal_jayD

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

For a school like ours, absolutely.

For a school like DBU... you strengthen your already-ranked baseball program.

Yes, definitely situation based. Unless that athlete is in the top 1% of their sport, I don’t see the value of our NIL(s) investing in anything outside of football and men’s basketball. 

Edited by MeanGreen22
  • Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Some folks around here did not grow up with any financial difficulties, and it shows.

Count your blessings, and don't assume you know the decisions these guys are having to make.

The poor decision that is the easy way out…. Yeah really raising these kids to be prepared for the future. 

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 4

29 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

There’s no way to say this nicely so I’ll just say it like this: Giving money to athletes that are not football or men’s basketball is bad resource management. 

You’re right screw every hard working athlete. Let’s pander to and coddle just a select few babies…. College sports is a joke huh. 

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

Want to solve this issue?  Give these kids a choice.  You can select a scholarship and small monthly stipend that covers all of your costs and allows you some spending money.   You are also able to make money off of your name, image, or likeness with local sponsorship/marketing deals, or you can pay for your education, housing, etc. and take money from a collective.  Your choice.  You can also transfer once for free.  The second time, you sit a year, third time sit two years and so forth.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, Andrew said:

You’re right screw every hard working athlete. Let’s pander to and coddle just a select few babies…. College sports is a joke huh. 

It’s not about screwing other athletes. Either their name, imagine, and likeness is worth the money or it’s not. Forgive me if I think keeping the starting QB of a revenue generating sport is more important than a member of the swimming team. Harsh? Maybe. But it’s reality. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Yes $500k as a college student is a total nightmare situation! 

Didn’t say it was a nightmare situation. But being the starting quarterback at North Texas and having the kind of season Chandler Rogers just had is a lifetime experience that cannot be quantified by any amount of money. 
I’ve never been the starting quarterback at North Texas. Can you imagine what that must have been like? It had to have been an amazing experience.

Chandler Rogers is selling the opportunity to run that back. Maybe he freaking levels up and turns himself into an NFL draft pick. Maybe he finds himself on a roster with 2-3 QBs better than him and never sees the field again. 

I don’t know what will happen. But being the starting quarterback at North Texas is still a hell of a gig. 

• Upvote 5
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

"I had a full scholarship to play college football after high school but lost it after entering the portal. Now I'm back living with my parents and working at Wal-Mart" will be a popular blog post in a few years.

For those who can get good money, better use it wisely because riding the P5 bench after a great G5 career won't get you to the next level. For those who hope they'll get NIL deals and get nothing, better luck next time. 

Lol you are so out of touch you think people still blog nowadays... Much less in a few years...

Maybe they'll write a strongly worded letter to the newspaper as well. Or call in to a radio show from their landline!

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1

Something that doesn’t get mentioned enough about the transfer portal: In this ME ME ME era, look at how much attention these kids get when they announce they are hitting the portal. 

Suddenly their names appear in articles, they get retweets and likes. Their friends and ex-teammates reach out to them with positive validations. And a whole flood of coaches are messaging them telling them how great they are and how much better they will be at this or that school. 

Meanwhile, no one talks about the kid who just stays where he is, busts his rear in the weight room and makes good grades. 

Just another screwed up incentive of entering the transfer portal.

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 2

14 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

Lol you are so out of touch you think people still blog nowadays... Much less in a few years...

Maybe they'll write a strongly worded letter to the newspaper as well. Or call in to a radio show from their landline!

You're so out of touch you don't even know pro and college athletes regularly use the site The Players Tribune founded by Derek Jeter to publish their blog posts, whether they be written, audio, or video and audio.

Get out of here

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/trevor-lawrence-nfl-football-jacksonville-jaguars

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/anthony-richardson-nfl-football-florida-gators

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/max-duggan-texas-christian-university-tcu-ncaa-college-football

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/process-with-garrett-wilson-nfl-new-york-jets

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/jordan-whittington-ncaa-football-texas-longhorns

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Yeah this is really exciting stuff... The most recent post out of all the links you put up was in September... 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Want to solve this issue?  Give these kids a choice.  You can select a scholarship and small monthly stipend that covers all of your costs and allows you some spending money.   You are also able to make money off of your name, image, or likeness with local sponsorship/marketing deals, or you can pay for your education, housing, etc. and take money from a collective.  Your choice.  You can also transfer once for free.  The second time, you sit a year, third time sit two years and so forth.

What other job and/or field of study makes you wait to pursue displaying your talent? 

• Eye Roll 3

2 hours ago, golfingomez said:

Most adults still use most all of these things….. ya know the adults who buy season tickets and actually donate to the university…. But I guess one day all the money will dry up and we will just get stuck with a bunch people sitting around on TikTok or their phones or podcasts yapping about nothing… cool 

• Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

Yeah this is really exciting stuff... The most recent post out of all the links you put up was in September... 

Just what I posted. Go through the site, there's more recent posts. Some were video/audio. Regardless, the site is not dead and vlogging is a form of blogging.

• Upvote 2