2023 North Texas Assistant Coach Salaries and Other Notable Assistants

TheReal_jayD

I am jumping on the Side.Show.Joe bandwagon. Fire Caponi!!!!!!!!! We are paying too much money to be last in the country on defense. I get it that the defense would probably go backwards some based on lost personnel, but to go to dead last in the country is inexcusable for $475K.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

2-8 ECU?

They have no offense. They've held Navy to 10 (lost 10-0), FAU to 7 (won 22-7), Tulane to 13 (lost 13-10), Charlotte to 10 (lost 10-7). I'll even consider holding SMU to 31 and Michigan to 30 as successes considering how poor their offense performed. They held SMU to 2.5 yards per carry and 50% passing. Michigan was held to 3.9 yards per carry.

Their defense with our offense could be undefeated.

• Upvote 6

23 hours ago, MeanGreenZen said:

Hiring Caponi at all was a bad idea.

Starting the season with Stone Earle was a bad idea. 
I am ready for some good ideas.

If his 3-3-5 was working out, would it have been a bad idea? *EDIT* I think we are playing with words here, and probably on the same page.*

if Earle’s confidence wasn’t rocked by Cal, and he kept the momentum he established in spring ball (instead of looking horrible to us), would that have been a bad idea?

Up front, there was nothing wrong with these decisions.

I don't necessarily have a problem with an idea gone wrong.  I'm just shocked that 1) it happens so much in Denton and, 2) officials/coaches always taking forever to fix it....or not fixing it at all.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

13 hours ago, 97and03 said:

This is a fair argument. I don’t see that it was “destined” to be worse. It wasn’t so great last year so it would have been reasonable to assume that the new staff could have hurdled a low bar like improving from a bottom 20 defense. Instead it is dead ass last in the country.  If we expect a bottom 20 defense to be worse, then to me that means we are questioning the quality of the hire of the defensive coaching staff. I was definitely questioning bringing in someone at that salary with zero coordinating experience above D3, but still didn’t expect a last place defense. (UAB is equally terrible so hopefully our offense hangs 50 on them and they take the last place slot from us.) 

Many people have pointed to the players we lost but every team loses players, even late like we did with Nixon, who was the biggest loss for us, as his results at Auburn prove. The coaches didn’t ensure that they had the personnel to run the defense they wanted to install. That’s a massive fail and Morris has all but confirmed they messed up in that area. 

They have admitted multiple times the messed up on roster building on that side of the ball. Even though they missed the whole early signing period(where a huge percentage of signings take place). Not to mention losing 5 of top 7 tacklers from a defense that wasn’t exactly lighting the world on fire. Add in Tom Trieb retiring and Kevin Wood getting injured. Then Nixon hitting the portal all played against us..then add in defenses historically struggle in year one but show improvement in year two. With the young guys that they were able to pull bring in this year and that are getting valuable, playing time and us seeing the Defense gradually improve against a very tough schedule, I think if this staff is able to use the lot utilize the portal we’re going to see some huge growth between now and next season. But I think if you fire the defensive coordinator and bringing a new guy, you’re still looking at another transition and it’s just gonna delay progress another season.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, TheReal_jayD said:

They have admitted multiple times the messed up on roster building on that side of the ball. Even though they missed the whole early signing period(where a huge percentage of signings take place). Not to mention losing 5 of top 7 tacklers from a defense that wasn’t exactly lighting the world on fire. Add in Tom Trieb retiring and Kevin Wood getting injured. Then Nixon hitting the portal all played against us..then add in defenses historically struggle in year one but show improvement in year two. With the young guys that they were able to pull bring in this year and that are getting valuable, playing time and us seeing the Defense gradually improve against a very tough schedule, I think if this staff is able to use the lot utilize the portal we’re going to see some huge growth between now and next season. But I think if you fire the defensive coordinator and bringing a new guy, you’re still looking at another transition and it’s just gonna delay progress another season.

This!

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1