Jared's tenure starting off rocky

El Paso Eagle

Not sure what the bickering is all about. 

Our defense is awful. There isn't anything anyone can say to defend that. This is a result driven business. Caponis results are awful. Given that, he's got to go. There is no defending it. He is worse at his job than anyone else in the country, literally. It's indefensible. 

I have faith that Morris will do what's right. If I'm wrong there, eff it. We're a basketball school anyway. 

• Upvote 3

I don’t care what anyone in the AD said when Morris was hired or preseason. Most of that is just coach speak.

It’s very clear just by watching our games that the terrible defense from last year is a rebuild. It’s going to take getting the right players to make it better. We haven’t done that. For me that’s a result of the recruits the old staff brought in and the new staff not finding what they needed via the portal.

Offense was not a rebuild. It was a quarterback and playmaker or 2 away from being really good. The new staff addressed that with great success.

It’s also very evident that the AAC has some pretty terrible defenses across the board.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

This team is making progress and if you can't see that than no one can help you.  Just played and should have beat two of the predicted best teams in the league in Memphis and Tulane.

Even the defense is showing some life.  The biggest issue is the slow starts.

Morris looks like a great hire, despite what many of you think.  

Morris is not going anywhere and many of you seem to have forgot that he barely had any time to recruit.  How about let him have at least one recruiting class behind him before your evaluation?

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • RV 1
  • Eye Roll 2

18 hours ago, Meangreen Fight said:

Wow, this so wrong it doesn’t warrant I thoughtful response.  But I will try.

1. Morris has faced tougher competition 

This is absurd. Outside of Cal, and maybe, (maybe), Tulane, who was the tougher competition? 

We played several of the same teams as last year. Temple and Navy are not good. 

We were 7 points closer against Memphis but still lost.

We were 4 points closer against UTSA but still lost (although I’d argue last year’s UTSA game was closer despite the final score).

We were 45 points worse against FIU and lost when we beat them last year.

We were 17 points worse against LaTech but still won.

Based on common opponents, we are one game worse than last year. The only way for Morris to change that would be to beat SMU or UAB and I don’t see either happening.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Downvote 4

9 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

This is absurd, Outside of Cal, and maybe, (maybe), Tulane, who was the tougher competition? 

We were 7 points closer against Memphis but still lost.

We were 4 points closer against UTSA but still lost (although I’d argue last year’s UTSA game was closer despite the final score).

We were 45 points worse against FIU and lost when we beat them last year.

We were 17 points worse against LaTech but still won.

Based on common opponents, we are one game worse than last year. The only way for Morris to change that would be to beat SMU or UAB and I don’t see either happening.

Thanks for saying it. Excellent post. People keep saying we moved to a tougher conference and have a tougher schedule but that's actually not the case. We've played 5 teams with losing records plus ACU and have 3 wins. We've played Temple without their QB and Navy with a first year head coach plus Cal and Tulane. Four of this year's opponents were also opponents last year. We went 2-2 in the regular season against them last year and have gone 1-3 against them this year. We even played the 2 harder teams (Memphis, UTSA) at home this year when we played them on the road last year. We have in fact done worst against the same competition.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

16 hours ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

I will be mad until we have a real defense and actually win the games we should win, and become competitive in the game we aspire to win. 

Agreed. That’s the difference between trying to win and trying not to lose. Feeling better about ourselves doesn’t cut it. We’re with the big boys now. Time to act like it!

• Downvote 1

18 hours ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

LoL, we might get Morris or some of his Coordinators fired in the next few years if we don't perform, but seeing UNT fire an AD? Wooo buddy... we got at least a decade of bad football before they'd do that, especially if basketball is decent during the same time period.

This is a good indication of a lack of accountability in the upper management of the University. There are also a lot of outsized salaries in College Football. Look at UT, which pays Sarkisian $5.2M/yr. But the entire UT athletic dept. only generated $239M last year. Do you really think a private company would pay such outsized salaries? They would go bankrupt. UT would not be a big company by the way at least not from a revenue standpoint. $millions/yr. is a big big salary folks and 85 football players and a dozen assistant coaches isn't that much to manage. Hell, a BestBuy multistore regional manager likely has more responsibility and generates more revenue than any head coach.

So, put me in the "no excuses" camp. I think heads should roll much sooner than has been happening at NT.

Edited by GreenEggs&Ham™
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

17 hours ago, Meangreen Fight said:

Wow, this so wrong it doesn’t warrant I thoughtful response.  But I will try.

1. Morris has faced tougher competition 

2. He has a complete offense with a QB who completes almost 65% of his passes most of the time in shootouts trailing.  

So Morris in a tougher conference has a team with only one glaring issue: Defense. Seth couldn’t fix the defense or QB position for over 3 years.  He kept his job an extra year on the “strength” of a fluke rain soaked victory at home that favored the only thing that worked under him consistently; the run game.  

I absolutely would not be watching games, going to games or care enough to post here if Seth was still here.  Maybe Rogers is successful here and gets the starting job under Seth.  But I think Seth talks Aune into staying and if that happens I doubt Rogers is here or on the bench if he is.

Morris has not faced better competition. He had a cupcake OOC schedule and barely made 2-2. There are only four tough teams on the conference slate and while they haven’t been blowouts, the team has looked unprepared with super slow starts and defensive collapses. This offense is far from complete. Complete offenses don’t get shut out for two or three quarters like this one has. 

• Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

This offense is far from complete. Complete offenses don’t get shut out for two or three quarters like this one has. 

The numbers say otherwise.  Find me the FBS offense that doesn't have dry periods through out games and I will show you a national championship caliber offense.  They are complete what you are talking about is elite offense.  Complete mean balanced and good enough to put up points under pressure and they do that.   They are 11th in total offense but they are "incomplete"?   I wish the leadership above head coach had your high standards Seth is gone 3 season ago if they did.🤷🏽‍♂️

IMG_1558.jpeg

Edited by Meangreen Fight
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

You argument is all over the place.  But chiefly bad point is that Navy is just as good or better than any CUSA team we played last year.   Memphis had to come from behind in the 4th quarter to beat Navy. I will give you Temple without their QB is not good.   Seth floundered for 3 years with no trophies of any kind and now we have standards for Morris with 11th rank offense in FBS in his first year?    Yes Caponi is terrible and their recruiting to the defensive side of the ball may not be much better than open tryouts for students already enrolled.  I find this debate laughable with what we lauded Seth over.  Don't get me wrong I appreciate the expectations, but if we were consistent on this board no one would have been on board with Seth's 2nd extension and at least 1/3 would seriously questioned the first extension.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Meangreen Fight said:

You argument is all over the place.  But chiefly bad point is that Navy is just as good or better than any CUSA team we played last year.   Memphis had to come from behind in the 4th quarter to beat Navy. I will give you Temple without their QB is not good.   Seth floundered for 3 years with no trophies of any kind and now we have standards for Morris with 11th rank offense in FBS in his first year?    Yes Caponi is terrible and their recruiting to the defensive side of the ball may not be much better than open tryouts for students already enrolled.  I find this debate laughable with what we lauded Seth over.  Don't get me wrong I appreciate the expectations, but if we were consistent on this board no one would have been on board with Seth's 2nd extension and at least 1/3 would seriously questioned the first extension.

And a lot of people wanted Seth gone for 2 years for not putting a trophy in the trophy case. Competition is better on a week by week basis, and by that is only marginally better. 

The difference I see in Seth Littrell and Eric Morris is not much. Seth got blown out too much and couldn't win trophy games. Eric isn't getting blown out at the same rate, but will not be playing for a trophy in the near future (this yr and or probably next). Seth played for a trophy in year 1, granted with the help of academic success from the previous regime. 

We can peel the onion all day, we have Seth Littrell 2.0. I'll go further, and possibly due to the level of competition increasing, Eric Morris will be fired with less than a .500 record. By that measure alone, production, Seth Littrell will be the better of the two. 

What we need is a younger version of Dan McCarney that hires a fun OC and keeps his hands off of it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, 3_n_out said:

Agreed. That’s the difference between trying to win and trying not to lose. Feeling better about ourselves doesn’t cut it. We’re with the big boys now. Time to act like it!

I wouldn't say we're with the big boys, but we are with a better collection of programs. The AAC has the inside track on access to the new 12 team playoff. As a fan base, we need to be united in demanding higher standards and not accept piss poor results.

Beginning next season, we actually have a shot to make the FBS Playoffs (wow, I know it sounds crazy, but it's the truth), if our leadership gets serious and forces the changes necessary for us to have a real chance to win the AAC. Everyone being honest with themselves knows this defense gives us no chance, and Caponi isn't the answer.