Uniform combo vs. UTSA

Victorygreen04

I barely saw the uniform (noticed a black jersey) but was too caught up in the overall concept of the video. 
Really great idea and does Denton really have Mean Green fire trucks???  I've always felt like Denton has such little interest in UNT that I'm really surprised by this!  Now to go back and watch it again to see the complete uniform combo.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, meaniegreenie said:

I barely saw the uniform (noticed a black jersey) but was too caught up in the overall concept of the video. 
Really great idea and does Denton really have Mean Green fire trucks???  I've always felt like Denton has such little interest in UNT that I'm really surprised by this!  Now to go back and watch it again to see the complete uniform combo.

I believe they rolled out the Green truck earlier this year. There were pictures with the BB team on it after they won the NIT.

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

Even Ohio State and Michigan have used alternate uniforms. USC has even teased a potential change to theirs on a recruiting weekend.

Using alternates once in a while is very different than the uniform-of-the-week club we seem to embrace. I guess I have watched for years as fans complain about so many different colors and combinations used and how we have no identity, yet year after year, we continue to do the same things. I will always wonder why we have done such a piss-poor job marketing the Mean Green, and it seems that green is sometimes the color we emphasize the least. If were not going to focus on the green, then put North Texas on the jerseys. 

• Upvote 3

The green eagle on a black Texas and white helmet looks better than a black eagle on a green Texas and a black helmet.

Texas State has an alternate helmet that also uses a Texas outline with uniform numbers inside it.

Do any other Texas schools use the state's outline as a regular helmet element? It seems like UNT is trying to make that our primary look.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, ADLER said:

You're pretty poorly informed if you believe those schools face the same branding challenges that North Texas does.

Aside from Oregon, whenever a school changes its look all the time it makes me think the school lacks confidence in its identity. I wish UNT would stop altering its uniforms and helmets with each new coaching regime.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, ADLER said:

You're pretty poorly informed if you believe those schools face the same branding challenges that North Texas does.

I didn’t say they do. My point is just that even some of the “big boys” whose uniforms have seemed untouchable have felt the need to give a little on this aspect of recruiting.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 11/2/2023 at 9:33 PM, El Paso Eagle said:

Our athletic department seems to have the tradition of making sure we have no traditions (only partially being sarcastic). My opinion, and I know many might not agree, but we have done a terrible job marketing the "Mean Green" name. And I would comment on how it seems strange that programs like Alabama, Texas, USC, Ohio State, Michigan, etc. don't seem to need gimmick uniforms, but some of those same people would quickly point out how we're not like them.  

There are many others that don't trick up their uniforms all the time.  If people vaguely familiar with your school/football program can't quickly recognize your uniform on TV it is a bad uniform.  The most critical thing I can say about the combo is the helmets.   If we are going to use the SOW in Texas logo match it with one on the field.  Can we have any consistent branding? 🤦🏽‍♂️

Please let find something that looks good and wear home & away variations of it for all except 2-3 games a year. 

Edited by Meangreen Fight
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Meangreen Fight said:

If people vaguely familiar with your school/football program can't quickly recognize your uniform on TV it is a bad uniform.

I’ve been saying this for a few years now about uniforms in general, not just UNT.  

I know, I know, old man yelling at the clouds.  It’s ridiculous to expect teams to wear uniforms that are actual school colors.  

On a positive note, at least we use green as an outline color.  Iowa St.’s uniforms this weekend were black and white.  And this from a school whose colors are red and yellow.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

I'm not one to usually care about the black jerseys, but even I have to admit it has been excessive this year. Through 9 games we've worn the the black jerseys 3 times and black helmets 4 times. We should wear those twice a year max. 

So 7 of 9 games we’ve worn some type of black.  I’m just glad the players like it and it helps them play better.  Can you imagine our record if we only wore green and white?  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Green Otaku said:

5 out of 9. Some games we wore them together. 

Perception is not reality in this case.  I can’t believe there were 4 games where we didn’t wear black.  The sad thing is that I was at three of those games.

Edited by NT93