Men's 23-24 schedule thread

Matt from A700

29 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

1 more game and that's it according to what others have said. I'm a little surprised that no one else finds it weird that we are still looking for games 26 days before the season starts. 

We're missing UTA on there too. 

Optimist in me says we're a tough team to schedule RPI - wise?  or maybe Jared is playing hardball about getting us another good home game? 

• Upvote 1

Can somebody explain why they think we need more OOC games at this point? We have 10 OOC games (including the 3 from the Charlston tournament), all against D1 opponents. I may be wrong but I believe we played 11 OOC games last year but 2 were non-D1 opponents so only 9 of those 11 counted towards our D1 record and NET rankings. The schedule is likely finalized and it's a very good schedule.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Can somebody explain why they think we need more OOC games at this point? We have 10 OOC games (including the 3 from the Charlston tournament), all against D1 opponents. I may be wrong but I believe we played 11 OOC games last year but 2 were non-D1 opponents so only 9 of those 11 counted towards our D1 record and NET rankings. The schedule is likely finalized and it's a very good schedule.

I Need More Season 1 GIF by Amazon Prime Video

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

56 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Last year we had 20 conference games.  This year we have 18.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

UNI puts us at 10 nonconference games and 28 total. We should be able to schedule three more if we can find the teams and dates, per the NCAA (https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2020-10-27/how-many-games-are-college-basketball-season#:~:text=Teams that don't participate,games in their conference tournaments.) :

I think what people are saying is we likely aren't able to find 3 more? At least that's what it seems like from the responses Mosley gave posters here. He said they were working on 2 series and 1 ended up being UTA, so his words make it seem like it was 2 total more games for 11 non-conference. 

1 hour ago, meanJewGreen said:

We're missing UTA on there too. 

Optimist in me says we're a tough team to schedule RPI - wise?  or maybe Jared is playing hardball about getting us another good home game? 

I'd figure places like UTSA and Rice would be harder to schedule but they have their full schedules out already. 

Rice announced theirs back on August 23rd

https://riceowls.com/news/2023/8/23/mens-basketball-mens-hoops-announces-2023-24-non-conference-schedule

55 minutes ago, glick1980 said:

Last year we had 20 conference games.  This year we have 18.

We played 29 D1 schools during lady year's regular season. We're set to play 28 this year. Is that single D1 game that big of a deal? Would you feel better if we scheduled a couple D2 or D3 schools like St Nazarene and Paul Quinn?

I feel like our OOC schedule this year is very challenging and maybe 1 less game to limit wear and tear plus travel isn't a bad thing.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I feel like our OOC schedule this year is very challenging and maybe 1 less game to limit wear and tear plus travel isn't a bad thing.

What schools make you think that? When I look at Memphis' schedule that's a real OOC gauntlet. Our toughest opponent is Miss. State who finished 9th in the SEC last year.

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

3 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

What schools make you think that? When I look at Memphis' schedule that's a real OOC gauntlet. Our toughest opponent is Miss. State who finished 9th in the SEC last year.

Memphis' schedule has the potential to be one of the tougher, as in top 30, OOC schedules in the country. For us, we're playing Mississippi State (2023 NCAA team), Boise State (2023 NCAA team), and St John's. Yes, St John's had a down-ish year. They finished 11-2 in OOC last year but struggled in conference play. And by struggled, I mean they beat UCONN and were kicked out of the conference tourney with a 2 point overtime loss to Marquette. Should me beat St John's, we have the potential to play LSU or Dayton and then possibly Houston. We're in a much better tournament than last season and could potentially end up having played more bubble/tournament teams than we have the past few years.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

We played 29 D1 schools during lady year's regular season. We're set to play 28 this year. Is that single D1 game that big of a deal? Would you feel better if we scheduled a couple D2 or D3 schools like St Nazarene and Paul Quinn?

We definitely don't need D2, D3, or NAIA schools on our schedule.  We should try and get at least one Marquee OOC opponent at home each season.  I don't see any this year.  In the past we had fantastic crowds and energy in the Pit hosting DePaul, Texas, LSU, Texas Tech, etc.

5 hours ago, NT80 said:

We definitely don't need D2, D3, or NAIA schools on our schedule.  We should try and get at least one Marquee OOC opponent at home each season.  I don't see any this year.  In the past we had fantastic crowds and energy in the Pit hosting DePaul, Texas, LSU, Texas Tech, etc.

I agree it would be nice. I glanced at FAU's schedule and they also don't have any marquee home games. The best opponents they're hosting are Liberty and Charlston. The saving grace for them is their early season tournament is being played about 3 hours away in Kissimmee. UAB's schedule is even worst.

Personally I'm just grateful we have multiple winnable games against what should be bubble teams. We have an OOC schedule that gives us a path to an NCAA tournament at-large bid. We didn't have that last year. We just have to win. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Memphis' schedule has the potential to be one of the tougher, as in top 30, OOC schedules in the country. For us, we're playing Mississippi State (2023 NCAA team), Boise State (2023 NCAA team), and St John's. Yes, St John's had a down-ish year. They finished 11-2 in OOC last year but struggled in conference play. And by struggled, I mean they beat UCONN and were kicked out of the conference tourney with a 2 point overtime loss to Marquette. Should me beat St John's, we have the potential to play LSU or Dayton and then possibly Houston. We're in a much better tournament than last season and could potentially end up having played more bubble/tournament teams than we have the past few years.

Good teams no doubt, I'd still like to play one more "power" team or a solid team like VCU/New Mexico/etc. I want to boost our net as much as possible so we don't have a repeat like last year.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

Good teams no doubt, I'd still like to play one more "power" team or a solid team like VCU/New Mexico/etc. I want to boost our net as much as possible so we don't have a repeat like last year.

For sure those would be good adds. When you look at least year, there's really no comparing schedules. Last year was horrendous. This schedules will give us more recognition if we perform strongly, especially in the Charlston Classic.

• Upvote 1

Men's schedule is finished. We added two home dates but nothing exciting. Angelo State on Nov. 26th and LSU-Shreveport on Dec. 30th. We needed games so we had to take what we could get. We won't get good crowds until after Christmas break anyway so I'm just glad we found teams to play. Can't wait to get started. Go Mean Green!

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

Glad we got a couple more games added, I should actually be able to make those. But I guess if you have to schedule a D2 and NAIA program, good to waste them when the students won't be around. Angelo State on the Sunday after Thanksgiving and LSU Shreveport New Year's Eve Eve.

I believe LSU Shreveport was also a last-minute fill-in during the Covid-shortened season when I think Nevada cancelled?

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

3 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

Disappointing, do those teams count for NET? What's worse is it took us until we were 8 days away from opening the season to get it done. 

More difficult to schedule than you might think. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

On 10/20/2023 at 11:48 AM, outoftown said:

They don't count for NET. Angelo State is DII and LSU Shreveport is NAIA.

350 Div 1 teams and we can't get a any of them to come play at UNT? I know I sound like a broken record on here, but we need to hold whoever is responsible for scheduling to a higher standard. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

On 9/10/2023 at 11:39 PM, Matt from A700 said:

Tue, 11/7 - vs. Northern Iowa
Sat, 11/11 - vs. Omaha
Thu, 11/16 - St. John's (Charleston Classic)
Fri, 11/17 - TBD (Charleston Classic)
Sun, 11/19 - TBD (Charleston Classic)
Sun, 11/26 - vs. Angelo State
Sat, 12/2 - vs. Mississippi Valley State
Tue, 12/5 - @ Boise State
Sun, 12/10 - Fordham (Brooklyn Showcase)
Sun, 12/17 - Mississippi State (Tupelo, MS)
Sat, 12/23 - vs. UT Arlington
Sat, 12/30 - vs. LSU Shreveport

---

Thu, 1/4 - @ Wichita State
Sat, 1/6 - vs. Tulane
Sat, 1/13 - vs. Temple
Wed, 1/17 - @ East Carolina
Sat, 1/20 - @ Charlotte
Thu, 1/25 - vs. SMU
Sun, 1/28 - @ Florida Atlantic
Wed, 1/31 - vs. UAB
Sat, 2/3 - vs. South Florida
Wed, 2/7 - @ Tulsa
Sun, 2/11 - @ SMU
Thu, 2/15 - vs. Memphis
Sun, 2/18 - @ UAB
Sat, 2/24 - vs. UTSA
Wed, 2/28 - @ Tulane

Sun, 3/3 - vs. East Carolina
Wed, 3/6 - vs. Florida Atlantic
Sat, 3/9 - @ Rice

Looking at the finalized schedule again, something to note that there is only one true road game in nonconference play, though Fordham and Mississippi State will be played in their backyards. Solid teams, I think we can easily have at least 9 wins going into AAC play.

Looking at the schedule in terms of potential [road] trips, I don't think anything in nonconference is in play for me. The Miss. State game is too late on Sunday and too far of a drive to swing unless I was unemployed. Might check flight costs for the Charlotte game as I've got a close buddy there now. Then Houston should be a go for the second straight year for the Rice game at "Tooter" Fieldhouse. SMU will also be a definite yes.

Hopefully @ UTSA, Tulane, Memphis, and/or Tulsa on weekends next year.