We Gambled…..We lost.

meangreenbob

4 minutes ago, meangreenbob said:

We could ill afford to screw up this last hire. But somehow we did. We allowed Littrell to use  up way too much valuable time, time we really didn’t have and certainly couldn’t afford to waste only to achieve mediocrity at a time when others were advancing forward  with precision, strategy, dedication, purpose, fortitude and success. 

We are anemic at the top. We have always, with a few exceptions, made foolish,  unwise decisions. I’ve witnessed it for over 53 years. Incompetence is our middle name. 

This program is out of time. It really doesn’t matter whether you fire Mosely, Morris or any of the coaches. Why? Game over. We gambled. We lost  

Hayden Fry was 5-5-1 his first season at North Texas, 2-7-2 his second, at which time most of us would have demanded that he be fired.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, wardly said:

Hayden Fry was 5-5-1 his first season at North Texas, 2-7-2 his second, at which time most of us would have demanded that he be fired.

1) The world wasn’t quite on the brink of destruction. Not yet. Time wasn’t of the essence. 

2) There wasn’t quite the arms race among football programs fighting for survival back then. We were all D1. 

Hayden Fry loved NTSU. He never would have left had the Administration supported him and the football program. Our University turned their back on a future Member of the College Football Hall of Fame. Let that sink in. 

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 4
  • RV 1
  • Downvote 1

I am just asking, but does anyone actually think that Mosley inherited any talent here? Any preseason AAC all conference picks?  A returning defense better than last years? Littrell didn't leave much behind, which is why he was fired. At the age of 80 I am not excited about a ground up rebuild over the next few years ,which I may never see the conclusion of ,but that's where it appears we are. I know some of us are very frustrated about out disappointing start, as am I, but making a coaching change after only 2 games seems  an over reaction. Just an old man's opinion.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • RV 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

3 hours ago, wardly said:

I am just asking, but does anyone actually think that Mosley inherited any talent here? Any preseason AAC all conference picks?  A returning defense better than last years? Littrell didn't leave much behind, which is why he was fired. At the age of 80 I am not excited about a ground up rebuild over the next few years ,which I may never see the conclusion of ,but that's where it appears we are. I know some of us are very frustrated about out disappointing start, as am I, but making a coaching change after only 2 games seems  an over reaction. Just an old man's opinion.

Totally concur.  You’ve hit the nail with the hard truth, wardly.
In Hayden’s 3’rd year after a season-opening 61-7 loss to OSU I as a novice fan (which we still have an over-abundance of) was getting shaky about Fry & then—the Mean Green travel to Knoxville, Tennessee, & a scrappy bunch of Texas HS recruits come back to a crowded Love Field with still (arguably) our greatest win ever. The UT Vols were not chopped liver, either.  They were 7 & 4 for that season. We probably cost Coach Bill Battle his job, then he would quit coaching & open up College Licensing with a small loan from Paul “Bear” Bryant.  Talk about turning your lemons into lemonade! 😮

(We also beat UH Coogs 28-0 at Texas Stadium in 1975). 

GMG! 

6 hours ago, wardly said:

So Seth took a bunch of players with him? How could this coaching staff not see a lack of talent (as you say) and not hit the Xfer portal hard? Don’t try to deflect blame where it absolutely should be directed towards. This coaching staff completely botched the off season and have been severely outcoached in 2 games. Both teams were bottom feeders last year. Eazy E gets the blame 100%. 

• Ray 1

6 hours ago, wardly said:

Fluff piece. We look like dog shit. 

53 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Fluff piece. We look like dog shit. 

I am not saying we didn't, just that we are only 2 games in with a new coach. It may or may not work out with him but I think he gets at least this season. As for being a fluff piece, maybe you are right.However I had a business for 30 years and have terminated employees , which I don't take as lightly as others.

5 minutes ago, wardly said:

I am not saying we didn't, just that we are only 2 games in with a new coach. It may or may not work out with him but I think he gets at least this season. As for being a fluff piece, maybe you are right.However I had a business for 30 years and have terminated employees , which I don't take as lightly as others.

Right now, it's may not. That's clear.