Stone Earle Named Starter

TheReal_jayD

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

...we don't have one of those.    This is Coach Brophy's first job.

Not true although I don’t know if this is enough to qualify as a “experienced QB coach”.

During the 2021 season, his first in the coaching ranks, he served as an assistant wide receivers and quarterbacks coach at his alma mater, the University of Incarnate Word, under Morris and UNT offensive coordinator Jordan Davis.

https://meangreensports.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/sean-brophy/724

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I'm not saying it's going to go this way but here's what I'm afraid of-

This offense is going to be more ball control and shorter throws and it's possible we have a better defense or at least a bend but don't break defense. Both of these mean lesser possessions. 

So you have a QB that hasn't played a lot and you're going to take possessions away from him and put in a guy that isn't going to get enough possessions either to find a rhythm. Or worst case Earle starts feeling it and you take him out. 

If we were playing Texas Southern, I'm all for it. 

But this is a REALLY big game to start the season.

I'm just a keyboard offensive coordinator and certainly not the head coach but the history of doing things like this is not great. 

Edited by meanrob
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

On Jayaire Shorter:  "He was out of sight, out of mind...."   Lol, OK coach, sure.

There's no way you didn't examine the roster as you came in & drooled over a dude with a 2:1 Reception:TD ratio.   It's great we have WR's who can help win games, no doubt.   But no need to bring Shorter up.

Congrats to Stone!   Go Mean Green!

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 5

Shorter throws and ball control yes, but based on what I've seen/heard from Earle, I would not be surprised to see him go full Johnny Manziel and make some crazy stuff happen.

Feel like that's what separated him from Rogers anyways. Yes they can both run the offense, but Earle has more of the IT factor

Espn Sport GIF by SEC Network

• Upvote 7
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Just now, MGNation92 said:

Shorter throws and ball control yes, but based on what I've seen/heard from Earle, I would not be surprised to see him go full Johnny Manziel and make some crazy stuff happen.

Feel like that's what separated him from Rogers anyways. Yes they can both run the offense, but Earle has more of the IT factor

Espn Sport GIF by SEC Network

Haha he does look a lot like Jonny!

14 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Not true although I don’t know if this is enough to qualify as a “experienced QB coach”.

During the 2021 season, his first in the coaching ranks, he served as an assistant wide receivers and quarterbacks coach at his alma mater, the University of Incarnate Word, under Morris and UNT offensive coordinator Jordan Davis.

https://meangreensports.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/sean-brophy/724

If you look further down on that same page... it was as a QC coach.   
We already had that guy in Quinn Shanbour.  And quite honestly, I wish we still had him around. 

This is Brophy's first job as an actual coach.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

This really isn't fair to Stone. We all know that the first bad game he has everyone will be calling for Rogers. Saying that they will both play puts added pressure on the starter. They both are mobile QB's that don't have big arms and must complete a high percentage to move the ball. I don't see a special package that one would excel in over the other. I really wanted one of the QB's to standout above the rest. I guess that is Stone. I'll be cheering for whoever is on the field for us but I don't have a good feeling about this. Hope I'm wrong. Go Mean Green!

• Upvote 5
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, Dannymacfan said:

I really feel bad for Rogers as he was promised a starting job and chose us over a CAL offer.  He would have started for them!!  It will sting.

Was he?  Sorry, but 

I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 5

41 minutes ago, meanrob said:

I'm not saying it's going to go this way but here's what I'm afraid of-

This offense is going to be more ball control and shorter throws and it's possible we have a better defense or at least a bend but don't break defense. Both of these mean lesser possessions. 

So you have a QB that hasn't played a lot and you're going to take possessions away from him and put in a guy that isn't going to get enough possessions either to find a rhythm. Or worst case Earle starts feeling it and you take him out. 

If we were playing Texas Southern, I'm all for it. 

But this is REALLY big game to start the season with. 

I'm just keyboard offensive coordinator and certainly not the head coach but the history of doing things like this is not great. 

I’ve saw Stone play last year and was impressed. I did watch some film on Rogers but didn’t see anything that really gave me the “wow” feeling, like Houston we have a quarterback!
Stone is a year older. I trust Coach Morris to put together a game plan that will take advantage of Stone’s talent. I’m confident that should Stone struggle Rogers will see action and have an opportunity to prove himself. 
I don’t have any issues with Morris selecting Stone as the starter. None at all. 

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 6

33 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

If you look further down on that same page... it was as a QC coach.   
We already had that guy in Quinn Shanbour.  And quite honestly, I wish we still had him around. 

This is Brophy's first job as an actual coach.

Thanks I missed that part.

• Upvote 1

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2023/08/22/north-texas-names-starting-quarterback?ref=home_feature_article

Morris praised all quarterbacks for how they handled themselves in fall camp, but specifically highlited the improvements Earle made in accuracy from the spring. 

• Upvote 1

UTSA ass-kiss Mike Craven made sure to take a swipe at not only Rogers but Stone, also

No matter why/how it happened, he was never a top 5-7 QB in Texas heading into 2023. If he was, he’d be starting over the ACU transfer who couldn’t factor in last season.

What a pile of 🐔 💩  he can be at times.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • RV 1
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

UTSA ass-kiss Mike Craven made sure to take a swipe at not only Rogers but Stone, also

No matter why/how it happened, he was never a top 5-7 QB in Texas heading into 2023. If he was, he’d be starting over the ACU transfer who couldn’t factor in last season.

What a pile of 🐔 💩  he can be at times.

Such a tool

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Logic doesn't seem to be his strong suit.  How does he explain the guy at Georgia who just won the national championship and was a finalist for the Heisman?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Logic doesn't seem to be his strong suit.  How does he explain the guy at Georgia who just won the national championship and was a finalist for the Heisman?

Here was my reply

Yes, because backup players never step up. So you find a way to take a negative swipe at both players. But it's good to know that no backups will be surprising fans this year and performing better than they have in the past.

• Upvote 1