Colorado is about to bolt for the Big 12...

C Rod

14 minutes ago, meangreenbob said:

Could this be the opening SMU is hoping for? 

I've been commenting on the rumblings that have been happening. An smu poster on here say said it was just the rumor mill. But yeah, there will be plenty of openings poor ole little smu. Colorado is just the next domino. There are 5 others. 

• Upvote 1

This has to be one of two things:

1. PAC media deal is a disaster.  Most likely, but where are the others bailing?

2. CU wants the stability of the B12 vs poachable PAC.  Why now?  But could explain why one moving first.

Either way likelihood of others joining is high. Colorado doesn't add much to the B12 by itself, I don't know why they would want them if not to get others too.

• Upvote 5

32 minutes ago, DentonStang said:

This has to be one of two things:

1. PAC media deal is a disaster.  Most likely, but where are the others bailing?

2. CU wants the stability of the B12 vs poachable PAC.  Why now?  But could explain why one moving first.

Either way likelihood of others joining is high. Colorado doesn't add much to the B12 by itself, I don't know why they would want them if not to get others too.

Oregon, Oregon State, and Arizona are also reported to have emergency meetings tomorrow as well. 

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, MeanGreenGlory said:

At this exact moment with only CU departing? Yes. 

If/When a handful of the more prominent programs in the conference leave? Not so sure. 

We'll see what that looks like. Could still be better...... Could be MWC plus Stanford and Cal.  Who knows. At least we'll finally get a resolution 

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

6 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

Oregon, Oregon State, and Arizona are also reported to have emergency meetings tomorrow as well. 

Oregon seems to have been debunked as already having been scheduled with a normal agenda. Don't know about other two.

Honestly I would think any competent board would meet to at least discuss 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, wardly said:

Please read the last sentence. If C.U. gives notice now to leave at the end of 2023/24 football season they pay NO exit fee.

USC/UCLA also didn't pay exit fees. With no new media deal signed any team is free to go in 2024 as long as they don't sign the new deal. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, TripleGrad said:

I think Colorado's record over the past decade proves that NAMES, not athletic accomplishments, determine who the media powers are interested in.  And that's what drives conference invites.

Yes, CU is marginal in winning but checks several boxes for the Big12….
-CU fits geographically, brings another market in Denver, is an established P5 brand, brings the Deion media-circus, and most important it wounds a rival P5 conference.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1