Does no longer stopping the clock after 1st downs help

Jonnyeagle

16 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

its the first downs, it is the tv and radio commercials that slow the game down.  would we have beat UTSA with the drive if the clock did not stop for first downs?

I think they would still stop in those end of half situations. 

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Will probably be a case where if we are ahead and it keeps the other team from winning, we will love it. If we are behind, we might hate it.

I think that impact will be negliable.  In the last 2 minutes the clock will still stop after first downs.  And remember that pause only lasted long enough for the refs to set the chains.  Teams in the lead could always bleed the clock on first down after the ball was set.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

I think that impact will be negliable.  In the last 2 minutes the clock will still stop after first downs.  And remember that pause only lasted long enough for the refs to set the chains.  Teams in the lead could always bleed the clock on first down after the ball was set.  

Actually, the clock didn’t start until the ball was snapped on the first down play. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Actually, the clock didn’t start until the ball was snapped on the first down play. 

I think you are mistaken, first downs are only stopped the game clock momentarily the same way it will be run in the last two minutes with this alteration to the rule.  An earned first down without a change of pocession was never treated like a dead ball.

14 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

I think you are mistaken, first downs are only stopped the game clock momentarily the same way it will be run in the last two minutes with this alteration to the rule.  An earned first down without a change of pocession was never treated like a dead ball.

This is correct. After a first down, the clock was started on the referee’s “ready-for-play” signal. This will still be the rule in the last two minutes of each half. I don’t really think it’s going to change things very much.