Matt Caponi

So how well do you think Caponi will do this season? Can he be the answer to the Mean Green’s defensive woes? Can they improve by half vs last season and if they do how well will the Mean Green do? 

Edited by ChiefTenBeers2015
Edit
  • Upvote 2

He feels like an unknown, right?  He’s put in a tough situation with the projected offense, so what are the realistic expectations for the defense?  In the past, our run defense struggled with the 3 man front, what makes this 3 man front different?  I feel pretty confident with Gary coaching the dline. Is he enough?  The talent on the dline seems to be there…are they up to the task?   With Bloesch being the run coordinator at Cal, I feel like he can potentially expose any potential weakness we have on the d line. I hope I’m wrong, though. Good questions.  Since it’s July, I’m still I’m on the side of optimism. GMG!

• Upvote 1

Not a fan of the stack. In base it has soft edges therefore the D is always having to walk up a 9 pre snap and slide over creating a dummy at DE...a slender LB playing DE. Or the DCs that run this think they are cute and can "disguise" everything and send people on snap. DCs fall into a pattern of who they like sending and offenses study and gameplan too. They pick up on tendencies and run away from the blitzer or throw into his void. It's a small defense. A vulnerable defense. Sure, should be better pass defense in those logical passing downs... in theory. Just too many potential problems in base and too much what hoped to be controlled chaos when constantly having to adjust. Just not a fan. 

Be great at something. Run D or pass D. But it has to be something. Otherwise, you're good at nothing. 

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

It will be much easier for the offense to continue to have success, or even build on what Littrell has done, than it will be for Caponi to turn around our defense that has struggled for years. 

I like Caponi, and I like his defense. I just worry that we haven't added enough talent through the portal to give his defense a real chance this season. Plus, I worry about our defensive depth. Especially with an upgrade in conference strength. I just think the odds are that we will have growing pains on defense this season. But, I hope I'm wrong.

• Upvote 2

• Harry featured this topic
59 minutes ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

i went in, hit edit and changed it to FBS. 

If you click on the wikipedia link to North Texas in his bio, it takes you to the North Texas football page. 

In the summary box about the program, under "Rivalries" is lists Smut (to their angst).... 

Rivalries SMU (rivalry)

Under the SMU summary their "Rivalries" are:

Rivalries TCU (rivalry)
North Texas (rivalry)
Navy (rivalry)
Rice (rivalry)
Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 3

Time will tell if this defense works.  It looks really good for defending passes and it might hold runners to a few yards; I haven't seen that in action.  I would think that you would have to have good speed to make it work.  If Iowa State is successful with it then we should give it a try.  Coach Morris seems to think that it will work and that's good enough for me.  I don't worry that Caponi won't do a good job of running it.

• Upvote 2