The Pac-12's media rights negotiations are "not going very well," CBS Sports' Barrett Sallee told FOS.

19 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

Possible, but I struggle to think of a deal that would benefit both sides. A short deal with an easy out benefits SDSU, but what does that do for the AAC?

A 6 year contract with early exit fee of 8 million would benefit both sides imo.  There should be no exit fee at the end of the contract.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

A 6 year contract with early exit fee of 8 million would benefit both sides imo.  There should be no exit fee at the end of the contract.

Again at this point SDSU doesn't want to be in a conference long term, we are all assuming they will want to be in the PAC in 2025 (2024 doesn't seem to be happening unless they come up with $34M.) They have no conference revenue for 2024, so apart from being on the hook for $17M they would pay an additional $8M? Also what kind of payout would they get? It'd be unfair to get a full share while the rest of us get half shares. The AAC media deal runs out in 2031, so if they are in the conference that long they might as well wait another year and leave with no penalty. I just don't see a way for them to join unless they commit to stay for the duration of the current AAC deal. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

Again at this point SDSU doesn't want to be in a conference long term, we are all assuming they will want to be in the PAC in 2025 (2024 doesn't seem to be happening unless they come up with $34M.) 

This assumes the PAC media deal meets or exceeds expectations AND the PAC extends an invitation to SDSU. 

If the PAC media deal is lower than anticipated, other schools may jump ship. If other schools jump ship, the PAC could look very different in the next year or two. 

In the event SDSU is conference-less and schools like Oregon, Washington, ASU, Arizona, etc. flee the PAC, there are possible scenarios where it could be better to join the AAC long term. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, MeanGreenGlory said:

This assumes the PAC media deal meets or exceeds expectations AND the PAC extends an invitation to SDSU. 

If the PAC media deal is lower than anticipated, other schools may jump ship. If other schools jump ship, the PAC could look very different in the next year or two. 

Everything I read is the PAC media deal will be a patchwork combo of random mainstream networks and streaming platforms.  But a bigger question than equal revenue is ease of eyeballs (fans) to find their games.  If fans are limited to their game only being on Apple+ with subscriptions, there will be pushback from frustrated fans to seek other (conference) options.

• Upvote 2

San Diego State's murky exit from Mountain West leaves Aztecs in limbo as Pac-12 awaits TV deal

"Whether the Pac-12 stays in its current configuration continues to hinge on something CBS Sports pointed out long ago: The issue may be more about visibility than revenue."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/san-diego-states-murky-exit-from-mountain-west-leaves-aztecs-in-limbo-as-pac-12-awaits-tv-deal/

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, MeanGreenGlory said:

In the event SDSU is conference-less and schools like Oregon, Washington, ASU, Arizona, etc. flee the PAC, there are possible scenarios where it could be better to join the AAC long term. 

Yes, lots of things are at play and they all hinge on the PAC tv deal. 

• Upvote 2

This is beyond embarrassing for SDSU. Not just from the MWC side, but if you were a member of the PAC what would you think about an institution that didn't have the patience to wait for everything to be done by the book? Did they just try to leverage/rush the PAC into making a choice? Is that the kind of school you want in your conference? 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

This is beyond embarrassing for SDSU. Not just from the MWC side, but if you were a member of the PAC what would you think about an institution that didn't have the patience to wait for everything to be done by the book? Did they just try to leverage/rush the PAC into making a choice? Is that the kind of school you want in your conference? 

How long were they supposed to wait on the PAC12?  They keep missing deadlines, etc while media deals fall through like me making passes at girls in a bar in college. At some point you have to do what is best for you and go home. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

This really looks bad for all parties on how NOT to run a Conference or athletic department.

The Three Stooges | Nfl memes, Sports memes, Nfl memes funny

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

How long were they supposed to wait on the PAC12?  They keep missing deadlines, etc while media deals fall through like me making passes at girls in a bar in college. At some point you have to do what is best for you and go home. 

They have zero leverage, so as long as it takes if they want to get in. The PAC12 has said it won't decide on expansion until media rights are done. There has been no solid info on a media rights deal close to being done. I get the frustration, but SDSU had no reason to notify the MWC. It was risky and created national headlines that put further pressure and scrutiny on the PAC. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

if you were a member of the PAC what would you think about an institution that didn't have the patience to wait for everything to be done by the book?

Bad take here.  We aren’t talking about patience we are talking about an extra 17 million dollars because the PAC 12 can’t meet arbitrary deadlines they set for themselves.  Time is money in an extreme case here.  SDSU should have kept their mouth shut until yesterday.  Saying you plan to be somewhere without one confirmed option other than your home conference was beyond stupid.  For the way they talk it gave the impression that they had a backup deal to join the Big 12.  There are no other financially feasible options for them even if they were okay taking a lost.  They could have followed BYU’s play book and only took football independent maybe.  SDSU fans may not travel well but plenty of fanbases including our would show up to enjoy San Diego weather in the fall. 

• Skeptical Eagle 1

On 6/30/2023 at 8:26 AM, C Rod said:

Army jumping into the American is the right move. It makes sense on all fronts. 

Army and Navy in the American Athletic Conference just makes too much sense to actually happen.   Schedule wise for the game I think the Friday or Saturday after Thanksgiving makes more sense with the 12 team playoff on the horizon.  It always been at a weird time to me.  Having the spotlight by itself is good but as a consequence the game usually doesn’t have any impact of the CFB season is bad trade off.   An independent that can’t get the bigger brands to come to their campus regularly is operating at a terrible disadvantage.  Rumors now say that even Notre Dame is actually feeling a little pressure to join a conference.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mike Jackson said:

Bad take here.  We aren’t talking about patience we are talking about an extra 17 million dollars because the PAC 12 can’t meet arbitrary deadlines they set for themselves.  Time is money in an extreme case here.  SDSU should have kept their mouth shut until yesterday.  Saying you plan to be somewhere without one confirmed option other than your home conference was beyond stupid.  For the way they talk it gave the impression that they had a backup deal to join the Big 12.  There are no other financially feasible options for them even if they were okay taking a lost.  They could have followed BYU’s play book and only took football independent maybe.  SDSU fans may not travel well but plenty of fanbases including our would show up to enjoy San Diego weather in the fall. 

I struggle to understand your posts sometimes, I can't be the only one on this board. We are saying the same thing: SDSU made a huge mistake and should kept their mouth shut. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

I struggle to understand your posts sometimes, I can't be the only one on this board. We are saying the same thing: SDSU made a huge mistake and should kept their mouth shut. 

To me, that was their one mistake. Should have remained silent until it was a sure thing. 

1 hour ago, Green Otaku said:

The tone of section I quoted sounded as if the PAC 12 had the right to negatively judge SDSU while their leadership conference appeared to be just as inept.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

To me, that was their one mistake. Should have remained silent until it was a sure thing. 

Yes. The PAC probably led SDSU to believe it was a sure thing, but the official invite didn't happen by June 30 (that's on the PAC).  SDSU then posing the "what-if" question to the MWC is what caused all the controversy in the media.  They knew what the answer was going to be.

37 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

The tone of section I quoted sounded as if the PAC 12 had the right to negatively judge SDSU while their leadership conference appeared to be just as inept.

They do. SDSU knew and was told that any expansion decision would come after the media rights deal was made. The PAC has to get everything in order to present numbers and scenarios to its members. The PAC has been under tremendous pressure and scrutiny from the media, they don't need SDSU adding fuel to the fire. If they have been inept or not doesn't matter, SDSU went rogue and tried to leverage their way in. How is that not negative? 

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

You are publicly airing out some of the internal issues of the PAC, further damaging it's perception while it's under media negotiations. Maybe only to a small degree, but even so you don't give the media more fuel to an already sensitive topic. 

Imagine if you interviewed someone for a new job, then you tell them to wait for a followup call. Then that person calls you and says they told their current job they were planning on leaving, so let them know when they get the job. I'd be pissed and embarrassed if UNT behaved this way. 

• Upvote 2