When we bring back baseball who will we hire as the coach?

Jonnyeagle

On 2/25/2023 at 12:48 PM, Jonnyeagle said:

Does anyone in the baseball group have a good candidate?  Also is it time to start a baseball only forum that could include softball as well?  Or too soon?

How about a softball forum since that team is in place?

• Upvote 3
  • Oh Boy! 1

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Doug Rush, the chairman of the group, is a Denton native and highly successive high school coach down in Tomball. I know he has stated that he would love the job and I think he would be a great selection. 

No disrespect for the work he is putting in here, but I can think of several other high school coaches in the state of Texas that are more successful.   I’d rather set the bar higher.  

Edited by texmusic
  • Upvote 1

what about…

Nate Thompson University or Arkansas assistant.   His brother is coaching at Baylor. Experience coaching at the college level   

Scott Podsednik World Series Champion knows what it takes to become zero to hero and lives in DFW area.   Brings his brother in law in as assistant, Kevin Mench.  

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

I believe there are more urgent requirements than hiring a baseball coach. And I think that I am the only person that doesn't think that North Texas should be building a baseball stadium.

It's time for the City of Denton and Denton County to step up and build SOME amenity designed to enhance the lives of North Texas students as well as the city/county residents. The University of North Texas is by far the community's largest economic driver and the students are a huge part of the city's tax base, yet the City of Denton and Denton County have never built a single ammenity for the school. In fact, all city parks and recreational venues are intentionally placed at a significat distance from the university so that students are not the primary users.

Denton is the seventh most populous county in the state of Texas, and the ONLY top ten county that has not built a minor league calibre baseball stadium. 

Even the economically depressed City of Edinburg and Hidalgo County were able to build an expandable 4500 seat stadium which they ceded control of to UTRGV. It's way past due for Denton and Denton County to make a similar investment to their intentionally underserved taxpayers.

WAC play starts with UTRGV - Grand Canyon University AthleticsUTRGV Stadium

A North Texas Baseball Team will certainly be fasttracked incredibly quickly whenever a stadium project is launched. The stadium would not need to be on campus but at least somewhere in the proximity or close to the square.

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

Even Midland built this venue that is used by the AA affiliate of the Oakland A's and is also utilized at times by the local high schools and Midland College.  It, along with the football stadium/complex the city also built, attracts HS playoff games, minor league soccer, youth tournaments, etc...

Photo

Photo

I agree with @ADLER it is beyond time that Denton gave back something to the entity that drives its economy.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

Denton County, Texas's estimated 2023 population is 979,565 with a growth rate of 2.55% in the past year according to the most recent United States census data.

Can anybody name a county of a million or more anywhere in the United States that has not built an athletic facility for it's residents? Probably none other than Denton (I didn't find one). This is especially egregious considering that county's largest employer is the 28th largest university in the United States with all of it's students paying taxes.

It's past time for the City of Denton and Denton County to step up.

• Thanks 1