Credit to Coach Traylor

El Paso Eagle

8 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Yes, yes he will. No one is saying that players can't leave on their free will. The problem is dumbass, cheating coaches plucking players off of active rosters while they are not in the portal. A program can come pluck Traylor out of his contract, sure. But that program has to pay a literal price to do it, and it's  not against the rules. The literal only rule seemingly in existence in the NCAA is to not recruit rostered players. People are doing it and the people doing it are hedging their bets that the NCAA will not do anything about it. And they're probably right, unless of course, Robert Morris or Stony Brook tries to pluck a player. Then, hammer drops. 

The NFL has more rules in place than college football. This has to be reexamined and tweaked. Then rules have to be enforced by the book. 

Yes I understand what the problem is. I just think it's hypocritical of Traylor to make a stink about it considering he'd like do the same if he were at a P5. I say that without knowing him personally so maybe I'm wrong. He's right to complain about it. I just hope if he gets plucked by a P5, he doesn't do the same the G5.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

He's right to complain about it. I just hope if he gets plucked by a P5, he doesn't do the same the G5.

Whether coaches keep doing this in P5 probably depends on whether the NCAA starts punishing it.

If it doesn't, it'll be one more thing everyone's pressured to do to keep up.

The NCAA should have some time on its hands to enforce the no-contact rule now that it doesn't get to police student-athletes getting some money in their pockets.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, rcade said:

Whether coaches keep doing this in P5 probably depends on whether the NCAA starts punishing it.

If it doesn't, it'll be one more thing everyone's pressured to do to keep up.

The NCAA should have some time on its hands to enforce the no-contact rule now that it doesn't get to police student-athletes getting some money in their pockets.

Agree 100% on all points here. Still blows my mind how the NCAA doesn't realize they'd make more money if all programs were on an equal playing field. They alienate half their fan pool by only facilitating select programs to be elite. As it is, many fans, and potential viewership, tune out after their school's bowl game has passed.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Agree 100% on all points here. Still blows my mind how the NCAA doesn't realize they'd make more money if all programs were on an equal playing field. They alienate half their fan pool by only facilitating select programs to be elite. As it is, many fans, and potential viewership, tune out after their school's bowl game has passed.

51C3D8E3-FDEE-497D-AA93-43AFD164F01F.gif.d82c64a9139076bba221bca1281c2474.gif

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

Yep, his Mom moved to Gilmer his Senior year so he could play there 

A LB from my HS transfered to Gilmer right before our Junior year. He grew up with me, but his Mom moved the family to Dallas for one year. They were coming back to my hometown, but after a sudden change of heart, they moved to Gilmer.. There were a few more from other high schools in Upshur, Gregg, and Camp county that transfered to Gilmer as well. However, anytime you mention it, Gilmer people go on the defensive. Even though Traylor had a program in place for the more affluent boosters to help these kids out. He's a hell of a coach, but he's also full of shit.

He was not the only HS coach doing it. It been going on in East Texas for 60+ years. I went to Robert E. Lee in Tyler and John Tyler had been poaching players for years. A lot of oil companies around the state used to make hires of fathers with no experience, but they had sons that could play ball.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

He was not the only HS coach doing it. It been going on in East Texas for 60+ years. I went to Robert E. Lee in Tyler and John Tyler had been poaching players for years. A lot of oil companies around the state used to make hires of fathers with no experience, but they had sons that could play ball.

Oh I know, it was happening at Daingerfield in the 1980s when Lone Star Steel was booming.

State Champion Carthage does similar practices as well. They get kids from Marshall, Tatum, Henderson, Elysian Fields, etc..

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, jtm0097 said:

Oh I know, it was happening at Daingerfield in the 1980s when Lone Star Steel was booming.

State Champion Carthage does similar practices as well. They get kids from Marshall, Tatum, Henderson, Elysian Fields, etc..

Daingerfield had a couple of teams that had bigger linemen than most NFL teams

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Aledo does it now.

Not saying Aledo doesn’t recruit, but parents seek out Aledo too.  Since they are close to a big city, it’s easy for parents to get jobs and move.  
When you’ve won 11 state championships, people want to be a part of it.

I’m not too naive to think recruiting doesn’t happen, but I also know there are tons of accusations thrown around with zero proof.  Gunter, Brock, Carthage, Aledo, etc., etc.  Basically, any school that is successful is accused of recruiting.