Can Aune take the next step?

8 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

The biggest thing I saw with Aune was that it looked like he got to a point where he "settled in" and the game looked like it slowed down for him. He won't have the luxury of taking a quarter to settle in this week. I'm hoping he picks up where he left off. Did he make some bad passes against UTEP? Sure. Will he make some this week? Sure. I see him as a game manager. As long as he can make enough passes to keep defenses honest like he did against UTEP, I think this year shakes out better than most think, but only time will tell.

Bravo!  👏  My exact sentiments, DentonLurker!

When I think of past games with SMU 4 past games come to mind.

(1). In 1980(?) we played the Ponies at Texas Stadium & on the first damn play of the game:  Craig James runs “ALL THE WAY”  for an 80 yard TD!  (Oh boy).🤢

2). Strangely enough—I think back to  last Falls game at G Ford Stadium . It was the 4’th quarter of a game closer than the scored indicated;  anyhow, in that last quarter I keep seeing their speedy receivers running past our DB’s like it was a walk in the park on a Sunday morning.    

(3) Then 1974…Mean Green & future KC Chief’s great J.T. Smith & a Mustang player square off helmet-to-helmet. Someone took a B & W photo of that scene.  Note: There was a black cloud hanging over that game inasmuch as SMU lost a player 24 hours earlier to meningitis. I believe his name was Dwain Staten. 

(4) Of course the 1990 (televised locally) Fouts Field game (with a capacity crowd) bench clearing brawl after UNT blocked a field goal attempt ending the first half.  That was funny!  You had SMU Coach Forrest Gregg & UNT’s Corky Nelson calmly talking with the refs while players were still pushing & shoving.😬
(Hey! We won that game). 

GMG

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

On 8/29/2022 at 9:22 AM, emmitt01 said:

When will we stop pretending that his success, or lack thereof, is supporting cast dependent?   Sure, every quarterback looks better with a better supporting cast...but good quarterbacks maintain above average play with or without studs at the other positions.   Mason Fine wasn't as spectacular when he didn't have Guyton, Bussey, or Lawrence...but he didn't start throwing off his back foot or hitting receivers in the shoe laces either.   

Aune is a gamer who has stuck with it.   He is obviously committed to this team, and I commend him for it.    But he still lacks a decent deep ball (teams like SMU will prey on this), and if the running game isn't clicking he's not exactly a threat to carve you up.   

Supporting case affected is more like it. I don't know how many times I watched last year while some of the starting WR's regularly got hit in their hands and mid-section by a pass and it bounced out. I don't recall that happening with Lawrence, Bussy, Darden and Guyton.

How many times did Fine "carve up" teams like Troy, Utah State, and FAU?

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

Fine made his numbers while running for his life. If he would have had good O-line his numbers would have better than they are.  He was/is a great passer,  He dropped balls between defenders only good qb can make.  Fine is the best qb I have seen play at UNT.  I hope one day soon someone challenges his numbers.  Also he started playing as a true freshman. How often does that happen here at UNT?