3 San Diego State Football Players Accused of Rape

Coach Andy Mac

SAN DIEGO — A lawsuit has been filed against three current and former San Diego State University football players, alleging they gang-raped a 17-year-old girl at an off-campus party in October 2021.

The defendants named in the lawsuit include former Aztecs punter, Matt Araiza, who was drafted by the Buffalo Bills; Zavier Leonard, who is a current member of the Aztecs team; and Nowlin “Pa’a” Ewaliko, who is a former member of the San Diego State team.

read more:  https://www.cbs8.com/amp/article/news/investigations/alleged-rape-victim-three-sdsu-football-players/509-10d32185-ed7b-48b0-afb7-be4718ba9270

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

If he is guilty, yes. Then I wish him the worst. Hopefully he not guilty until proven innocent 

Unfortunately, especially for a punter, this is probably a career ender.  Even if it's never proven.  For a skill position, a team might take a chance, but probably not worth the exposure to an NFL team for a punter.

• Upvote 3

55 minutes ago, Moobs said:

Unfortunately, especially for a punter, this is probably a career ender.  Even if it's never proven.  For a skill position, a team might take a chance, but probably not worth the exposure to an NFL team for a punter.

They were talking about this on the radio this morning. Apparently the Bills knew about this when they cut their other punter and chose to keep Araiza instead so they feel confident in his story. Odd to me as, per the article he admitted to having sex with her and she was 17. Quick Google search shows the age of consent is 18 in California so if that's true, he probably doesn't have a leg to stand on. Curious as to how this plays out 

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 4

39 minutes ago, meangreenfaninno said:

I get that you want fairness but in reading this it looks pretty damning.  Not a good look for state either.

As I said and don't get me wrong if they're guilty I hope the son of a b****** get hung up by their, well you choose an area. However in these instances I always think back to what happened to the Duke lacrosse team. Most in the country were convinced they were guilty.

• Upvote 5
  • Puking Eagle 1

Regardless of the detail or severeness of what happened, it is pretty messed up to be a college senior messing around with a high schooler. Whether he gave her a drink, put anything in her drink, had consensual sex, had non-consensual sex, or anything else, the optics are bad enough where Buffalo needs to cut ties. He can fight to stay out of jail but he can’t undo his complete lack of judgment that night. If I am a college athlete with a legitimate shot at the pros and a high schooler comes up to me I’ll give the courtesy of offering an autograph on my way out the door.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Regardless of the detail or severeness of what happened, it is pretty messed up to be a college senior messing around with a high schooler. 

I agree, but did she tell them her age?  The article says she and her friends, all already intoxicated, entered the party.  She was offered a drink and accepted.  She was asked/told to perform a sex act and complied...  I am not taking sides, but it appears she was a willing participant at this point.

Everything beyond that point is disgusting.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 3

18 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I agree, but did she tell them her age?  The article says she and her friends, all already intoxicated, entered the party.  She was offered a drink and accepted.  She was asked/told to perform a sex act and complied...  I am not taking sides, but it appears she was a willing participant at this point.

That’ll depend on if you think she is a liar or not. 

From the complaint: “Doe informed Araiza that she attended Grossmont High School.”

https://interactive.cbs8.com/pdfs/Court-stamped-complaint-1.pdf

Believe me, I am 100% against false accusations but the complaint looks really bad and if there is any truth in it whatsoever, he will be dealing with consequences. I think his only out would be if she lied about her age because I don’t know about you but when I was in college hooking up with folks I would always ask their age. Whether they lied or not is on them.

• Upvote 3

52 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

That’ll depend on if you think she is a liar or not. 

From the complaint: “Doe informed Araiza that she attended Grossmont High School.”

https://interactive.cbs8.com/pdfs/Court-stamped-complaint-1.pdf

Believe me, I am 100% against false accusations but the complaint looks really bad and if there is any truth in it whatsoever, he will be dealing with consequences. I think his only out would be if she lied about her age because I don’t know about you but when I was in college hooking up with folks I would always ask their age. Whether they lied or not is on them.

Didn't see that.  This is not good.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Coffee and TV said:

Something like 2% of rape claims are false allegations but this is automatically where yours and other repliers minds went. Interesting. 

No, some minds still believe in innocent until proven guilty. What is interesting is how you try and spin everything to make a poorly masked jab at those you don't agree with. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2

1 hour ago, Coffee and TV said:

Something like 2% of rape claims are false allegations but this is automatically where yours and other repliers minds went. Interesting. 

So skip prosecution? Ok. Guess we just do away with court procedures and immediately sentence upon accusation. Interesting.

Also, it's not 2% that are false. That's the estimated percentage that is proven false. That doesn't include the 40%-50% that don't proceed past the initial reporting stages and are possibly false and the 15% or so percent that are reported with insufficient information to even be classified as a rape report.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

8 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

So skip prosecution? Ok. Guess we just do away with court procedures and immediately sentence upon accusation.

This is an example of a strawman argument. I'd like you to show me where I said or implied anything close to this. 

Also, it's not 2% that are false. That's the estimated percentage that is proven false.

Roundabout way of saying I'm right but go on...

That doesn't include the 40%-50% that don't proceed past the initial reporting stages and are possibly false

Ah okay. So I guess I wasn't sexually assaulted because when I reported it to the police they just shrugged and asked me what they should do about it, so let's just assume they're all false then. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

31 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

No, some minds still believe in innocent until proven guilty.

Nah, there are others in this thread who have said innocent until proven guilty without casually throwing out a famous case where there were false accusations. All I said was that it was interesting your mind went there, and look at how quickly you got defensive and struck back at me, because you can never keep things from being personal. 

Edited by Coffee and TV
  • Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

19 minutes ago, Coffee and TV said:

This is an example of a strawman argument. I'd like you to show me where I said or implied anything close to this. 

Roundabout way of saying I'm right but go on...

Ah okay. So I guess I wasn't sexually assaulted because when I reported it to the police they just shrugged and asked me what they should do about it, so let's just assume they're all false then. 

Nah not my point. My point is before we ruin people's lives let's let things play out in court.

Considering her age at the time and that he admitted to having sex with her, I think he's done unless maybe she lied about her age and lied about telling him she was in high school. That said, I graduated high school at 17. I knew other 17 year olds at UNT. Her saying she's in high school but not giving an age doesn't exactly make it a clear-cut case. There's college kids with girlfriends/boyfriends still in high school.

Back to your comments. When it comes to sexual assault, an accusation doesn't mean guilt. Changing your mind after having sex doesn't mean rape. Saying you were drunk doesn't make it rape. In that case, if both parties were drunk, who raped who? It's a bit more complicated than that. I personally knew a guy at UNT who was accused of rape and charges were only dropped because the victim's girlfriends showed the detectives text messages the alleged victim had sent them where she said she was going to his house to have sex even though she had gotten drunk at another party elsewhere. Had it not been for her friends, he would have gone to prison. Most don't get that lucky to have people turn on their friend like they did. Again, it's not as simple as making a basic accusation and claiming guilt.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

29 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Nah not my point.

Well you're completely missing my point so let me put it simply: More often than not football players and athletes (and men in general) are protected from the consequences of sexual assault as we saw with the enormous coverup just down the road in Waco, not the other way around. You didn't simply say let it play out in court, or "huge if true". You brought up the one exception to the rule under some sort of guise as a hero for those wrongly accused and why? because they're football players? 

So all I'm asking is maybe out of respect for people who have been assaulted or know someone who has been through it, you don't simply try and point out the one famous time the accusations turned out to be false, as if it holds any relevancy against the overwhelming number of times the accusations are entirely real and nothing happens. 

29 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Saying you were drunk doesn't make it rape.

Incredibly incorrect, just ask Brock Turner. 

Edited by Coffee and TV
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1

@Coffee and TV, this is one of the rare times you and I don’t disagree but you know KingDL is going to lock this if you keep going back and forth with them. You could’ve made your case without specifically going after @GMG_Dallas. Bring it down a notch bro. @El Paso Eagleand @GMG_Dallasshould as well to keep us from locking down another thread. We can make arguments without attacking one another’s character here.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Coffee and TV said:

Well you're completely missing my point so let me put it simply: More often than not football players and athletes are protected from the consequences of sexual assault as we the enormous coverup just down the road in Waco, not the other way around. You brought up the one exception to the rule under some sort of guise as a hero for those wrongly accused and why? because they're football players?

So all I'm asking is maybe out of respect for people who have been assaulted or know someone who has been through it, you don't simply try and point out the one famous time the accusations turned out to be false, as if it holds any relevancy against the overwhelming number of times the accusations are entirely real and nothing happens. 

I have not forgotten Baylor. I wouldn't necessarily agree that celebrities are protected as much as they may just have better counsel. I think they're often targeted as well. There's a French soccer player currently going through trial and it was discovered through all this that one of the alleged victims Google searched his net worth prior to reporting her assault to police. Does it mean he didn't rape her? No, it doesn't. But it should at least make you question the validity of her accusation. Celebrities here are falsely accused just the same.

12 minutes ago, Coffee and TV said:

Incredibly incorrect here my dude. 

Actually correct in Texas. Read the penal code. Section 22 covers assaults. Free to find online. I'll help you though, the actor has to have impaired the other with substances the other were unaware of or the other has to be unconscious or unable to physically defend themselves. Those are the subsections directly covering intoxication in sexual assaults. As you can see, it's not as simple as being drunk. Kind of like DWI. There's a level of intoxication that has to be met to meet legal standards.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

5 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

@Coffee and TV, this is one of the rare times you and I don’t disagree but you know KingDL is going to lock this if you keep going back and forth with them. You could’ve made your case without specifically going after @GMG_Dallas. Bring it down a notch bro. @El Paso Eagleand @GMG_Dallasshould as well to keep us from locking down another thread. We can make arguments without attacking one another’s character here.

Didn't think I attacked character but if I did, I apologize. I tried ignoring the character baits in the discussion.