DRC: UNT spring roster notes -- who's available, who's changed positions

Brett Vito

9 hours ago, edcollopy said:

I'd hope they would've had a conversation before moving to such a different position than QB.  Can't imagine him having the build for that position. How do we miss so badly on a player's ability to play QB???

I’m sure his high school qb coach had something to do with it.

8 hours ago, Coach_1976 said:

A LB and a QB have a lot of the same game mentality. They see the whole field, recognize formations. It should be an easier transition than a RB or WR moving to LB.. He will just have to learn to hit instead of trying not to get hit

We do have a deep LB room with both ILB coming back what has to be developed in Spring and early Fall is the Eagle and Devil(?) both losing starters from last year.

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2737830-how-joel-lanning-went-from-qb-to-lb-to-qblb-and-the-story-of-the-cfb-season.amp.html

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, MCMLXXX said:

Did I miss it or did y'all fail to mention the best QB to LB transition in North Texas History?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brad_Kassell

You beat me to it.  Kassell was "badass" middle LB for UNT.  He came in as QB recruit and was moved to MLB.  Big kid too.

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Upvote 2

On 3/2/2022 at 3:14 PM, Graddean said:

Old-timers will remember Bill Bradley from Palestine, TX.  At the time, he was generally considered the outstanding high school QB in Texas.  He went to UT.  He finished his college career as a D back and was a two time All Proin the NFL.  Royal used to scholarship high school QBs with the idea they were generally the best athletes and, if necessary, could be moved to other positions. 

A little more recent example. Kyle Clifton (Bridgeport HS, TCU, NY Jets).  Kyle Clifton played QB @ Bridgeport and made something like all-state playing that position.  He finished his junior year as #4 in class 2-A (now 4-A) in passing yards.

2A
1,941      219-116-Xx       Rock King, Wylie
1,657      -------------       Charlie Arcos, Hondo
1,493      Xxx-  96-Xx       Kyle Clifton (JR.), Bridgeport
1,452      164-  90-10       Perry Morren, Childress
1,250      -------------       Scott Abel, Sealy 
1,185      180-  83-Xx       Mark Edge, Winnsboro
1,013      -------------       Greg Trlicek (JR.), LaGrange

Ronald Kyle Clifton (born August 23, 1962) is a former American football linebacker who played 13 seasons in the National Football League (NFL) for the New York Jets. After playing college football for TCU, he was drafted by the Jets in the third round (64th overall) of the 1984 NFL Draft.[1]

He led the NFL in solo tackles with 160 in 1985, 174 in 1986 and 162 in 1988. Additionally, he was in the top 10 of NFL solo tacklers in 1984, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1990, and 1991. He announced his retirement on February 14, 1997.[2] At the time of his retirement, he was the second-leading tackler in NFL history and remains the Jets' all-time leading tackler. Clifton made 1,484 tackles over the course of his professional career ranking him 10th overall in combined tackles since 1987.[3] Clifton attended high school in Bridgeport, Texas.

-- Wide receiver Jyaire Shorter, running back Oscar Adaway and cornerback Quinn Whitlock are all out for the spring.

-- Wide receiver Tommy Bush is still recovering from the leg injury that knocked him out last season and will be limited.

Regarding Shorter and Adaway and their injury history, I'm starting to get a Bryce English-like vibe. I hope Bush doesn't follow.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

Regarding Shorter and Adaway and their injury history, I'm starting to get a Bryce English-like vibe. I hope Bush doesn't follow.

This was Adaway's first severe injury that resulted in significant loss of playing time, so I am not ready to go that route with him, but Shorter's injury history is concerning.  He's been my adopted player for three years now.  I will not be picking him this year as I would hate to think I was providing some bad juju.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

This was Adaway's first severe injury that resulted in significant loss of playing time, so I am not ready to go that route with him, but Shorter's injury history is concerning.  He's been my adopted player for three years now.  I will not be picking him this year as I would hate to think I was providing some bad juju.

Hmm.   Maybe consider adopting Tanner Mordecai this season.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2022 at 1:25 PM, MeanGreenTexan said:

I doubt it.   If he objected to the move, he'd likely already be gone.

And now as we all know, he not only didn't object he suggested it so that he could get some playing time.  He had 104 tackles the last year he played linebacker.

• Upvote 1

On 3/2/2022 at 1:25 PM, MeanGreenTexan said:

I doubt it.   If he objected to the move, he'd likely already be gone.

And now as we all know, he not only didn't object he suggested it so that he could get some playing time.  He had 104 tackles the last year he played linebacker.

• Upvote 1