At Large Bid Scenarios

TheNewEra

3 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

I think it depends on who we lose to. If we don’t drop a game until the CUSA semis I think we are in. 

It’s seeming more possible now that the national media jumped on board after the UAB win. I hope you’re right.

Just beaten dog syndrome on my end creeping in I suppose.

Edit: I really should say that I hope it doesn’t end up mattering when we win in Frisco. I believe in this team.

Edited by Green Lantern
  • Upvote 4

21 hours ago, outoftown said:

Gonna root for Wichita State over Memphis. Would be a 2-fer. Helpong NTs NET and potentially pushing them back to quad 1, and hurting a team that is squarely on the bubble in the process.

Not looking good. First half score was 17-39. Yikes.

Edited by outoftown

4 minutes ago, ChiefTenBeers2015 said:

ESPN says “UNT will continue to appear on your brackets as an automatic qualifer on the No. 12 line. But if the question should arise…top 40 rankings in both the NET and strength of record is eminently worthy of an at-large consideration.”

SOURCE.  We are under "Work To Do"

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Not that he has any any say, but one of the commentators on stadium last night said he believes we'll be in regardless of what happens in Frisco.

I know people crap on stadium but the reason I like them is I feel like their staff does their homework. They treat UNT, LA Tech, and other mid-majors/G5 the way ESPN treats high-majors/P5. It's nice to hear on national broadcasts. I've never had an issue with their streams either. 

Agree. I see people badmouthing Stadium all the time on this site, but I've never had a problem watching their games and their production is excellent. 

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

On 2/25/2022 at 7:14 PM, CMJ said:

That doesn't work out either really.  There were years when the Big East, Big 10, or ACC had over five teams in the Top 25 rankings.

I do think a team should have a winning record in league play though.

A number of them won't be 500 in their conference and still get a bid.

14 minutes ago, wardly said:

A number of them won't be 500 in their conference and still get a bid.

I understand that.  I'm saying I don't have an issue with teams from the "big leagues" getting multiple teams in until they start letting in ones with losing records in their conferences.

12 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

Agree. I see people badmouthing Stadium all the time on this site, but I've never had a problem watching their games and their production is excellent. 

Their great production and dedication to CUSA basketball really shows during those prerecorded NBA segments at halftime lol

Edited by UNTcrazy727
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

23 hours ago, golfingomez said:

so you judge a broadcast by the halftime show?

No, but I hate that they don't review the first half, show highlights and talk about what they expect in the second half.  It is the same on ESPN during the early bowl games.  Their halftime show is always about the CFP and never about the game they are covering.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

On 2/22/2022 at 8:05 PM, Censored by Laurie said:

our peer AQ schools are really Murray State, Loyola-Chicago, Chattanooga, Davidson...if these 4 win their conference bids, I'd feel really good about a conference runner-up UNT getting an at-large bid. things get a lot muddier if 1or 2 of these schools lose in their tournaments. 

If all five (including UNT) don't win the auto-bid, that's five more at large considerations...and I'd put our resume and brand-recognition 4th on that list and odds get real thin.

then throw in if a power conference bubble team has a strong run in their tourney...say OU loses in the Big XII championship game...we're in real trouble. 

Reminder as this week unfolds.

57 minutes ago, RiseUNT said:

They haven’t been in the tournament since 1980. Brutal

I mean as a fairly unbiased observer, that's what makes March Madness great.  And Chattanooga deserved to win based on their season. 

But I also feel for Furman.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

Loyola-Chicago and Chattanooga have done their part and won their conference tourneys

L-C
Chattanooga
Murray State, too (Saturday 3/5 won OVC tourney)

This is an excellent start.  Davidson is in the A10 and will begin their tourney quest on Friday.