Uniforms...

GMG_Dallas

We had put people in charge of selecting uniforms that should never have been put in charge of selecting uniforms.

We had put people in charge of selecting attire for coaches and sideline staff that should never have been put in charge of selecting attire for coaches and sideline staff.

We wound up with a mixed hodgepodge of crap outfits and throwback costumes which hardly count as uniforms.

I think that Joe Burrow says "rachet" only because he thinks we have allowed some tool to make these important decisions for our university, especially with adding weird "fashion" colors that just don't belong.

Green and White are the ONLY two colors that have ever been approved to represent our university. Our uniforms should reflect that accordingly.

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • RV 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

25 minutes ago, ADLER said:

I think that Joe Burrow says "rachet" only because he thinks we have allowed some tool to make these important decisions for our university, especially with adding weird "fashion" colors that just don't belong.

Green and White are the ONLY two colors that have ever been approved to represent our university. Our uniforms should reflect that accordingly.

I think has more to do with the bland look of the 2012 uniforms. Solid green helmets with only "North Texas" on it and solid Green with nothing on it but "Mean Green." No design features, just solid color.

Fans may like traditional looks but players like flashy uniforms. Those Mccarney era uniforms were boring. They looked like the generic uniforms you'd get in an old madden game when you created your own team. Those black Heart of Dallas bowl uniforms were also atrocious.20120901_lbm_ah6_074.0.jpg.33b59f575044d97c649c661cd7d94da4.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I think has more to do with the bland look of the 2012 uniforms. Solid green helmets with only "North Texas" on it and solid Green with nothing on it but "Mean Green." No design features, just solid color.

Fans may like traditional looks but players like flashy uniforms. Those Mccarney era uniforms were boring. They looked like the generic uniforms you'd get in an old madden game when you created your own team. Those black Heart of Dallas bowl uniforms were also atrocious.20120901_lbm_ah6_074.0.jpg.33b59f575044d97c649c661cd7d94da4.jpg

Almost equally atrocious was us wearing the flying worm/throwback uniforms way too often, and getting rid of the FIne era Green/White uniforms. Easily the best look we've had in a long time

30 best college football jerseys - Page 14

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

So true, the color intensity on those uniforms was too pastel.

Would you agree there's no way to tell who we were playing that day since we can't see the their school name or logos?

That's right. Everyone instantly knows it's LSU because they wear their school colors and their fans are all wearing attire in their school colors.

20120901_lbm_ah6_074.0.jpg.33b59f575044d97c649c661cd7d94da4.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2

2 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Almost equally atrocious was us wearing the flying worm/throwback uniforms way too often, and getting rid of the FIne era Green/White uniforms. Easily the best look we've had in a long time

This. This uniform needs to the THE home uniform of choice. THE away uniform must be the all whites with white helmet. Make it happen and quit making it cool to look stupid. It's not cool. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

9 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Completely agree. The chrome on the helmet and he design on the sleeves, a small part of the uniform, is all it takes to make a uniform more exciting. 

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

This. This uniform needs to the THE home uniform of choice. THE away uniform must be the all whites with white helmet. Make it happen and quit making it cool to look stupid. It's not cool. 

image.jpeg.76b7b9b6e3ab36d1bde8d18a92b9e364.jpeg

This helmet for the Green and white jerseys 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, ADLER said:

So true, the color intensity on those uniforms was too pastel.

Would you agree there's no way to tell who we were playing that day since we can't see the their school name or logos?

That's right. Everyone instantly knows it's LSU because they wear their school colors and their fans are all wearing attire in their school colors.

20120901_lbm_ah6_074.0.jpg.33b59f575044d97c649c661cd7d94da4.jpg

Yes we know it's LSU. We also don't need the helmet to say "Louisiana State" to know it's LSU. They have a color pattern they stick to and that's what we've learned to recognize. Putting "North Texas" on the helmet left no room to do anything else with the helmet and seemed a little JV to me. As if it's all the budget allowed for. I'm ok with the NT helmets from the 75 throwback every now and then but I think the logo alone on the helmet is a good look. Keep pushing that brand out there!

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Yes we know it's LSU. We also don't need the helmet to say "Louisiana State" to know it's LSU. They have a color pattern they stick to and that's what we've learned to recognize. Putting "North Texas" on the helmet left no room to do anything else with the helmet and seemed a little JV to me.

All true. We need to consistently place the same logo on our helmets to create an identity for our university.

For jerseys, traditionally the school name is on road jerseys and team name on home. That's the rule across all sports in America although it's not necessarily adhered to.

• Upvote 1

Getting ready for the "but were not..."

Have we actually ever won a recruiting battle because of our uniforms? Has a player ever transferred because we did not have enough combinations? I know everyone points to Oregon, but Alabama, A&M, UT, USC, Michigan, Ohio State, OU, etc. seem to do OK without changing up every game. Let pick a helmet and home and away sets and stick with it. For me, I would like to see Mean Green on the front and the names on the back

North Texas Football : 2017 Nike Uniform Reveal - YouTubeYear Two's Offensive Uptick - University of North Texas Athletics

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ADLER said:

I seriously don't think we have signed or retained any players solely because we have the trashy multicolored non-traditional uniforms.

Never let anybody monkey with our school colors.

You've probably never bought a car based solely on color, but I bet the color played a part in your decision. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Getting ready for the "but were not..."

Have we actually ever won a recruiting battle because of our uniforms? Has a player ever transferred because we did not have enough combinations? I know everyone points to Oregon, but Alabama, A&M, UT, USC, Michigan, Ohio State, OU, etc. seem to do OK without changing up every game. Let pick a helmet and home and away sets and stick with it. For me, I would like to see Mean Green on the front and the names on the back

North Texas Football : 2017 Nike Uniform Reveal - YouTubeYear Two's Offensive Uptick - University of North Texas Athletics

I think having nice uniforms could certainly play a role in how a recruit subconsciously views the program as a whole. There's a reason why the programs you listed spend so much money on uniforms. When that recruit comes in and you have them try on the uniform for photos, do you want them looking like they walked out of louis Vuitton or goodwill? The backdrop in those pictures, the quality of the edits, etc... all of that plays a role in recruiting. It's all part of the excitement during the visit and being proud to post those photos on Twitter to show your friends later on. Good looking uniforms matter.

To your original point, would it alone cause you to win? Probably not especially against a big P5. But where the playing field is more even (G5), yeah I think it could make a difference. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Green Crazy said:

You've probably never bought a car based solely on color, but I bet the color played a part in your decision. 

There is a time and place for varieties of fashion color choices in life, but that, in itself would imply a lack of uniformity. 

If it's Game Day, then it's Green and White.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

Just wondering if anyone has opinions on uniforms, and which colors we should wear?  We should start a thread sometime!

I have opinions on uniforms and colors we shouldn't wear, but I'd prefer to ignore a problem and hope it goes away by itself before 2022 uniforms get ordered this spring.

Edited by ADLER
  • Haha 1

On 2/11/2022 at 1:38 PM, NT80 said:

Especially head football coaches about to be fired...

https://workbench.cadenhead.org/news/3069/fired-north-texas-coach-black-mood

unt-mean-green-black-jersey.jpg

Actually, that embarrassing 2006 loss to 1A move-up FAU was not our first time for the Mean Green to have horrible fortune when wearing black.

In 1982 Corky was finally ridding the school of the ultra-groovy outdated leisure suit flying worm uniforms and the team wore cheap black replacements ... and of course subsequently lost at home to a Division II Northeast Louisiana 15-38.

Image 1 - CFB 1983 NORTH TEXAS STATE ST NTSU UNT MEAN GREEN College Football Schedule

The loss was instrumental in the NCAA forcing North Texas down to Div-1A football for the 1983 season and it took us over a decade to get out and another decade to recover. The black uniforms have always been bad luck for us.

Please downvote if you enjoy our program being relegated down to 1AA status. We almost wound up dropping football entirely because of disinterest during the 1AA era.

Edited by ADLER
  • Downvote 3

As some of y'all may or may not know. I work for the Texas Sports Hall of Fame in Waco. Proudly wearing a NT T-shirt.   I just a had guest show me this tweet. saying "if i still was on the fence on who to root for on Sunday" 🤣🤣🤣😁😁😁 . He is deck out in Rams gear.    

• Haha 1