June Jones: 'No coach in their right mind' would accept conditions Hawai'i offered

Jonnyeagle

June Jones turned down an opportunity to return as Hawai'i's head football coach after meeting with school officials Friday.

Jones took to Twitter later Friday to explain why he declined Hawai'i's offer.

"I am still interested in this job for the people of Hawaii but the job offered to me today there is no way I could accept the conditions offered me," Jones wrote in his post. "No coach in their right mind would accept!"

"Dictating who can be on my staff and only 2 year contract..What recruit would come if I was here for 2 years???" he wrote in another post. "..this has never been about money-but it is about giving me the ability to turn our program around and not have people tell me who is on my staff or how to coach my team."

read more: https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/33119973/june-jones-turns-offer-return-head-coach-hawaii-football-team?platform=amp

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

18 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

If this is all true, their AD looks like one of the biggest idiots/a-holes in College sports

I will go a step further and say if I was the University prez I might have to fire an AD trying to do this.  Just a terrible look for a University that is already smarting from the Todd Graham nightmare.

• Upvote 3

Looks like Timmy Chang is coming home to right the ship. Not a bad hire. He will invite the culture to help him rebuild the program unlike the nightmare that was TG.

When I moved to Hawaii I came off the plane from Texas a guns a blazing. The first thing my boss did was send me to leadership island style workshops. All of us mainlanders learned a lot which helped us be successful. TG obviously fought the culture and they scooted him right out of town. 

Good luck Timmy Chang! Some of my greatest memories at aloha stadium involved watching him and the late Colt Brennan play. 

Go Bows

GMG

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, NM Green said:

Looks like Timmy Chang is coming home to right the ship. Not a bad hire. He will invite the culture to help him rebuild the program unlike the nightmare that was TG.

When I moved to Hawaii I came off the plane from Texas a guns a blazing. The first thing my boss did was send me to leadership island style workshops. All of us mainlanders learned a lot which helped us be successful. TG obviously fought the culture and they scooted him right out of town. 

Good luck Timmy Chang! Some of my greatest memories at aloha stadium involved watching him and the late Colt Brennan play. 

Go Bows

GMG

Seems like the athletic director wanted an excuse to hire coach who in all honesty is not qualified for the position at this point in his career. So he goes the June Jones route and tries to force him in one direction and where this falls through it opens the door for the other hire. 

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Seems like the athletic director wanted an excuse to hire coach who in all honesty is not qualified for the position at this point in his career. So he goes the June Jones route and tries to force him in one direction and where this falls through it opens the door for the other hire. 

The AD wanted Chang to be the coach-in-waiting under Jones.  Initially Jones was offered 2 years, then 3, but declined it all because of lack of autonomy over staff and the succession issue in general although he said he was fine with Chang.   I think it was the whole "train your replacement" thing that bothered him.

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, NM Green said:

Go Bows

GMG

I didn’t know Colt Brennan had passed, so I looked up the details.  So sad.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

The AD wanted Chang to be the coach-in-waiting under Jones.  Initially Jones was offered 2 years, then 3, but declined it all because of lack of autonomy over staff and the succession issue in general although he said he was fine with Chang.   I think it was the whole "train your replacement" thing that bothered him.

He seems he was also going to have the rest of his staff chosen for him. Not sure, but it seems the AD was hell bent on having a position coach take over ASAP.