Allen HS coach dies from COVID

2 minutes ago, GBarksdale said:

Then why did you do it? 

Later this week, I'm going to the funeral of a friend who died of Covid on Monday night.  He left behind friends and a young family who will never see him again and will miss him for the rest of their lives.  

It's one thing to want people to get vaccinated. And I'm in that corner.  But, man, it's another thing to mock the deaths of individuals you don't know -- people who have left behind family and friends who loved them -- to make tasteless, snarky posts.  That's just cold.

To add on here...   oftentimes, it seems like the snarky posts tend to provide the shovels to the other side to dig in more.  It's difficult to convince anyone of anything if the zingers are attached.   And I'm often guilty of this myself. 😕

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

4 hours ago, GBarksdale said:

Then why did you do it? 

Later this week, I'm going to the funeral of a friend who died of Covid on Monday night.  He left behind friends and a young family who will never see him again and will miss him for the rest of their lives.  

It's one thing to want people to get vaccinated. And I'm in that corner.  But, man, it's another thing to mock the deaths of individuals you don't know -- people who have left behind family and friends who loved them -- to make tasteless, snarky posts.  That's just cold.

So sorry about your loss, GBarksdale.  I lost  a cousin in Alabama & a couple friends on the Texas Gulf Coast.  
I’m Type 2 diabetic so the decision to get the vaccine was an easy one.  I got the Johnson & Johnson vaccine shot on March 9’th (with no reaction). 

⛑⛑⛑⛑ To each his own, but the part that got my attention was that “most” who got the shot don’t die. 
Yes, there will be exceptions, but in life I’ve always tried to play the best odds & getting that damn shot was that for me.  

••• I read that a guy once drank a 6 pack of beer, took 2 aspirin & then died because of his reaction to that combo. You never know.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, GBarksdale said:

Then why did you do it? 

Mock? Who mocked? That is truly confusing. The list of coaches who have died is absolutely insane. Perhaps if all the deaths were listed, then it would get attention and sway some of the non-vaccinated to do it. There is no mockery. 

Truly sorry about your friend. Death is bad times. As you should be able to tell, I don't wish Covid on anyone for any reason. 

Edited by SteaminWillieBeamin
  • Upvote 6
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

3 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

I read that a guy once drank a 6 pack of beer, took 2 aspirin & then died because of his reaction to that combo. You never know.

FWIW: You actually do know in this case. Your liver cannot handle tylenol and alcohol. You will go into organ failure. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 1

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2021/06/26/cdc-4115-fully-vaccinated-have-been-hospitalized-or-died-with-breakthrough-covid-19-infections/?sh=51b936196993

Back in April, the CDC stopped keeping track of all reported breakthrough infections, choosing instead to focus going forward just on those in which hospitalizations or deaths were involved.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 2

8 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2021/06/26/cdc-4115-fully-vaccinated-have-been-hospitalized-or-died-with-breakthrough-covid-19-infections/?sh=51b936196993

Back in April, the CDC stopped keeping track of all reported breakthrough infections, choosing instead to focus going forward just on those in which hospitalizations or deaths were involved.

Because the ultimate goal of the vaccine is to prevent hospitalization and doctor visits - not to prevent infection (against the new strain)?  It is already shown the breakthroughs are increasing, thus the recommendation to wear a mask in public (in hotspots) even when vaccinated. They are tracking hospitalizations/visits - which is the ultimate goal - and it is showing that even in this new strain that is extra aggressive in transmission that it is keeping people out of the hospital. These are things that are out in the open and known - not some sketchy mission. 

• Upvote 7
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

Just to note, these numbers are not accurate as the article is now two months old, but also from the article, here are the numbers for deaths and hospitalizations:

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), there have already been 4,115 reported cases of fully vaccinated people being hospitalized or dying with Covid-19 coronavirus breakthrough infections.

By the way, many doctors offices are refusing to see people that may be Covid positive.  Their desk staff/"gatekeepers" are referring people to hospitals, etc. instead of seeing their patients.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

55 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

hospitalized or dying

There is a big difference between the two. Need to look at percentages to assess for protection level. I am not sure what you are implying? Vaccine doesn't work? If that 4,115 number is shocking, wait until you see the number for unvaccinated! It will really shock you. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Just to note, these numbers are not accurate as the article is now two months old, but also from the article, here are the numbers for deaths and hospitalizations:

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), there have already been 4,115 reported cases of fully vaccinated people being hospitalized or dying with Covid-19 coronavirus breakthrough infections.

By the way, many doctors offices are refusing to see people that may be Covid positive.  Their desk staff/"gatekeepers" are referring people to hospitals, etc. instead of seeing their patients.

It is extremely important to contextualize that number by comparing against the un-vaccinated.

Can you provide the number for the same timeframe for those who are un-vaccinated?    

In my opinion, the CDC's website is not user-friendly enough (like, at all).   
Very difficult to dig around and find a visual or numbers of unvaccinated cases/deaths VS vaccinated "breakthrough" cases/deaths.

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

It is extremely important to contextualize that number by comparing against the un-vaccinated.

Can you provide the number for the same timeframe for those who are un-vaccinated?    

In my opinion, the CDC's website is not user-friendly enough (like, at all).   
Very difficult to dig around and find a visual or numbers of unvaccinated cases/deaths VS vaccinated "breakthrough" cases/deaths.

I think that is on purpose.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

53 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

There is a big difference between the two. Need to look at percentages to assess for protection level. I am not sure what you are implying? Vaccine doesn't work? If that 4,115 number is shocking, wait until you see the number for unvaccinated! It will really shock you. 

I would like to see a list of the the underlying conditions of those people that are passing away from Covid, but those are never reported as well.

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

12 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I think that is on purpose.

Oh, I don't.
I think they have way too much data, and aren't able to sort through what people actually want/need to see.   And there's never really been a need for someone to make a user-friendly facing website at the CDC before.  It's kinda sad they're letting it stagnate, and just continuing to throw data out there.

If I were a betting man, I would wager quite a bit that the difference between unvaccinated cases/deaths VS vaccinated "breakthrough" cases/deaths is staggering... like, not even remotely close to each other.

I mean, just poking around, I can create a graph (but can't grab the image) showing a pretty drastic decline in deaths after the vaccine became widely available:

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#trends_dailydeaths_totalvaccinesadministered

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I would like to see a list of the the underlying conditions of those people that are passing away from Covid, but those are never reported as well.

This is not true again. 'underlying conditions' is very well reported. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

If I were a betting man, I would wager quite a bit that the difference between unvaccinated cases/deaths VS vaccinated "breakthrough" cases/deaths is staggering... like, not even remotely close to each other.

The numbers are out there - but "they" don't want to see or trust them. It is the classic False Dilemma Fallacy... If there are breakthroughs and even minimal deaths in vaccinated, then the other side must be true.  

The numbers were released last week showing hospitalization raw numbers, broken down by vaccination status. Then the numbers of ICU by vaccination status. Then ventilator by vaccination status. It was overwhelming. 

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7034e1.htm

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

The numbers are out there - but "they" don't want to see or trust them. It is the classic False Dilemma Fallacy... If there are breakthroughs and even minimal deaths in vaccinated, then the other side must be true.  

The numbers were released last week showing hospitalization raw numbers, broken down by vaccination status. Then the numbers of ICU by vaccination status. Then ventilator by vaccination status. It was overwhelming. 

I don't doubt you, but can you link that?

9 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

Oh man,
The 'underlying conditions' argument often chaps me.

I've actually heard people (as in multiple) callously cite covid deaths of advanced-stage cancer patients as, "Oh, they were going to die anyway..."   As if these folks' struggle wasn't compounded & ultimately ended (be it a month or two early, or many years too soon) by this awful disease.

As the husband of a warrior who is in remission from Stage3 Breast Cancer, I've bit my tongue so hard, but internally, I'm imagining breaking these people's necks.  It's infuriating.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 3

15 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

Really?  Provide me a link that shows the list of "underlying conditions"  I would like to see a percentage breakdown from no underlying conditions to people with CV disease, or autoimmune issues, etc...

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

A summary of all of this:

Get your shot

If you make a choice, know the repercussions of your choice and who is affected by your choice

COVID is serious and not some conspiracy made up by George Soros 

Be safe and wear a mask if necessary

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I don't doubt you, but can you link that?

I know a dozen or so of the largest hospital systems released their numbers last week. I will try to find if there is a roll up of the numbers, not likely yet. The overview was like 10% of ICU were vaccinated and 1% of ventilator patients were vaccinated. Anecdotally, I can tell you that the vaccinated ICU patients are older and have immune compromised situations they deal with ... Breakthroughs hit that population harder, which is predictable and why they are getting priority on the booster shot. 

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I mean, just poking around, I can create a graph (but can't grab the image) showing a pretty drastic decline in deaths after the vaccine became widely available:

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#trends_dailydeaths_totalvaccinesadministered

Screen Shot 2021-08-26 at 12.58.38 PM.png

You see the vaccination rate flatten out and then the Delta strain kicking and deaths start to tick back up. And given the percentage of deaths for unvaccinated - that uptick is nearly all unvaccinated.