Art Briles

Blue Horse

3 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I guess I misread where it said the Jury finds Baylor not responsible. Seems another case where some only agree when the verdict is one they like.

I was trying to make the point that even with a cloud over the program and Rhule being Baylor’s version of “straight-arrow Genaro”, their players still got into these situations. It is hard to keep young adults under your thumb at all times no matter how diligent you try to be. If the same thing happened under Briles they’d make a massive national deal about this but because Rhule had already taken over, it was mostly local news coverage.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I was trying to make the point that even with a cloud over the program and Rhule being Baylor’s version of “straight-arrow Genaro”, their players still got into these situations. It is hard to keep young adults under your thumb at all times no matter how diligent you try to be. If the same thing happened under Briles they’d make a massive national deal about this but because Rhule had already taken over, it was mostly local news coverage.

My bad ....

734z.gif

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Yes. He went to Mount Vernon and got in trouble right off the bat if I remember correctly. 

It wasn’t anything close to related to the Baylor stuff. He used one of his former olayers as a pseudo-assistant coach but because Hawthorne wasn’t an employee of the school Briles was reprimanded by the district. The other issue was 2 players moving in from elsewhere to play football which is not allow but happens at the powerful big name high schools all the time.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

It wasn’t anything close to related to the Baylor stuff. He used one of his former olayers as a pseudo-assistant coach but because he wasn’t an employee of the school je was reprimanded by the district. The other issue was 2 players moving in from elsewhere to play football which is not allow but happens at the powerful big name high schools all the time.

It's allowed if you move into the school district and the former AD/HC signs off on it. And you are right, it happens ad nauseam at suburbia schools. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

It wasn’t anything close to related to the Baylor stuff. He used one of his former olayers as a pseudo-assistant coach but because he wasn’t an employee of the school je was reprimanded by the district. The other issue was 2 players moving in from elsewhere to play football which is not allow but happens at the powerful big name high schools all the time.

Recruiting of players has been going on in East Texas for years. If anyone tells you different, with all due respect they are lying

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

The outrage from UNT students would be insane.

Why does always get brought up when threads of new coaches comes up 

Just wondering; would this be the same students who might not ever attend a game when they are at UNT?

• Upvote 4

Briles would be more of a fit for SMU & it’s impeccable reputation once Sonny Dykes gets hired away by a P5 big conference school that needs to dramatically improve its recruiting, especially in Texas. 

All NCAA G5 head football coaches have a need for a larger stadium audience that fits those humongous egos & all our schools (including the one in Denton) fit under that particular umbrella & criteria.

If TCU retired Gary Patterson early (or kicked him upstairs) I could easily see Sonny Dykes at the top of the Horned Frogs short list. I even had a big TCU fan over here in Weatherford say as much.  
And no, it wasn’t TCU super alum, Horned Frog varsity baseball great, Weatherford-based Congressman & auto dealership owner Roger Williams, either; albeit I have talked TCU athletics with him while looking at new autos & even one time he showed me his bullet scar from that Washington D.C congressional baseball practice.🤮

❇️🦅❇️

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 2

On 7/10/2021 at 5:10 PM, Cr1028 said:

It wasn’t anything close to related to the Baylor stuff. He used one of his former olayers as a pseudo-assistant coach but because Hawthorne wasn’t an employee of the school Briles was reprimanded by the district. The other issue was 2 players moving in from elsewhere to play football which is not allow but happens at the powerful big name high schools all the time.

So what you are saying is that a known cheater cheated but at least he didn’t cover up rape?

• Oh Boy! 1

On 7/10/2021 at 2:29 PM, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

The outrage from UNT students would be insane.

Why does always get brought up when threads of new coaches comes up 

Neal Smatresk is too spineless to even stand up against students on made-up issues, much less a coach with legitimate concerns. 

Edited by MeanGreenTeeth
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Oh Boy! 2
  • Downvote 3

On 7/9/2021 at 9:35 PM, El Paso Eagle said:

I guess I misread where it said the Jury finds Baylor not responsible. Seems another case where some only agree when the verdict is one they like.

Hmmm, how many Baptist were on that jury? It is after all.....the South. I'd have more confidence in the outcome if the Jury was all Church of Christ and/or Christian Scientist.......😎

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1